Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Ford switching from CVT to 6 speed automatic transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 08:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Ford switching from CVT to 6 speed automatic transmission?

I can across an article that stated Ford is dumping the CVT for the new 6 speed automatic transmission being built in the new transmission plant (in Ohio?). I believe this move could enhance towing capacity but what about possible negative changes with fuel economy?

Old 11-10-2006, 04:05 AM
Default Re: Ford switching from CVT to 6 speed automatic transmission?

Is this the eCVT used in the hybrids, or the CVT used on other models like the Ford 500?

Old 11-10-2006, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by WaltPA
Is this the eCVT used in the hybrids, or the CVT used on other models like the Ford 500?
I would guess you are correct it is the CVT being used on other models.

Old 11-10-2006, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by TeeSter
I would guess you are correct it is the CVT being used on other models.
Tim, things are changing from the eCVT only hybrid. Some of the newer patents have details of how the transmission fluid is pumped mechanically when moving and electrical at a stop. The system can basicly be hooked to a rear drive also and a converterless automatic transmission is hooked to it. Take a look at the drawings by clicking on the PDF. This opens the door on many applications.

"One way to minimize HEV cost is to choose a compatible transmission type. Several types are available and known in the prior art including a torque converter transmission, CVT, lay shaft, dual lay shaft and an electric converterless automatic transmission (ECLT). The ECLT, which is used in the embodiment of the invention presently disclosed, is a modified version of a planetary automatic transmission.

A planetary transmission, such as an automatic transmission currently in production, relies on hydraulic pressure to operate its internal pressure actuators and deliver torque from the engine to the drive shaft. In a conventional ICE powertrain application, a pump driven by the engine via the transmission input shaft generates the hydraulic system pressure.

Converterless automatic transmissions (CLT) have potential as a high-efficiency, low-cost transmission for small vehicles, where a torque multiplication function of the converter would not be necessary. The CLT may be a modification of an automatic transmission presently used in the automobile industry wherein the torque converter and its one-way clutch have been removed and the forward/reverse clutch has been modified to function as a drive-away clutch.

While some of the synergies of a CLT with respect to a HEV powertrain are immediately apparent, a CLT appears to be appropriate for a HEV powertrain also for less apparent reasons: 1) the HEV powertrain motor used with a CLT can be used to equal or even exceed the performance of a conventional powertrain, and 2) the high torque at low revolutions per minute (RPM) of the powertrain motor allows clutch engagement at much lower engine rpm, reducing the heat load in the drive-away clutch by approximately 70%.

The ECLT is essentially a conventional transmission integrated with a low-storage requirement (LSR) hybrid. The LSR hybrid is a system that is capable of all hybrid functions except for electric-only propulsion with the ICE turned off. A preferred system, however, would include a "full hybrid" product in which the hybrid system is capable of an electric-only drive mode with the ICE turned off."

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6746366.html

GaryG

Old 11-10-2006, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by GaryG
Some of the newer patents have details ...
I know where I work, most patents have very, very little to do with future product directions. Matter of fact, if someone invented something that was for a real product, it would be considered a trade secret, and not patented; at least not until it started to actually ship to customers.

Old 11-10-2006, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by WaltPA
I know where I work, most patents have very, very little to do with future product directions. Matter of fact, if someone invented something that was for a real product, it would be considered a trade secret, and not patented; at least not until it started to actually ship to customers.
Walt, this doesn't seem to be the case with all the Ford patents on the FEH. The patent application process takes a good amount of time and I'm finding that patents are issued just before the release of the product, and sometimes after. I get all new Ford patent information as soon as they are released by the US Patent Office. Once the application is submitted, you have a Patented Pending Order and the invention is protected if there is no conflicts already submitted.

The reason this may be put into a product soon is because newer patents have been approved for associated equipment. For instance, a method for transmission fluid pumping for mechanical and electrical back up for stopping was just issued. This was the case with the '05 FEH patents where you could follow the develoment from Ford back from the early 2000 years.

Also, Ford as well as other auto manufactures can always sell or trade the rights to their invention to each other.

GaryG