Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Fuel economy of hybrid vs diesel vehicles at highway speeds

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)
Default Re: Fuel economy of hybrid vs diesel vehicles at highway speeds

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
In engineering, we call this 'cherry picking' the data. Engineers who do this are forced to become Windows system aministrators or write software. We don't let them deal with real things.
No one is trying to hide the fact that all the results are highway only. In engineering we call this interpreting data. Somebody in marketing ALWAYS cherry picks data so it becomes some engineer's job to interpret said data. You are a big boy I'm sure you can handle it.

Old 05-23-2006, 04:22 PM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS
Default Still looking for European Community hy L/100km numbers

I spent about 20 minutes hunting for European hy numbers for this Zafira VS the Prius.The Euros have a city cycle and a hy cycle.The hy cycle is supposed to be roughly like driving about 55 mph on an expressway.
All I could find was a combined number which was 48 mpg for the Zafira
and 65mpg for the Prius.I assume these are Brit(big) gallons(it was a Brit site).
Anyone have any idea where to get this Hy number?I had no idea it would be so hard to chase something so simple down.
A good diesel should be able to beat the Prius in hy mpg, but I'm not sure this one actually does(since they got 37mpg at 60 mph-kinda low). I would like to see what the Euro EPA got in their hy cycle. If they show the Prius "beating" the Zafira, then .... Thanks,Charlie
PS I noticed that the Zafira and the Zafira diesel got "closer" in mpg as the speed went up.This isn't what you would expect to see, if the DC boss is correct in his statement about the Toyota Hybrid drive system becoming less efficient as the speeds increase(because of going chemical>mechanical>electrical>mechanical with losses from each transformation.

Old 05-25-2006, 12:22 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Fuel economy of hybrid vs diesel vehicles at highway speeds

I've been a member over at the TDI club and have been discussing driving for economy. In fact you'll see my HCH in their mileage competition. Speed also effects diesels as any other vehicles, and highway is no exception.

In the case of the HCH I see no real advantage to a comparable diesel.
In the case of Prius I don't know...I've never driven one!