Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Gas Mileage down? - Spring is coming

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 08:41 AM
Owner of '06 HCH #7264
Default Gas Mileage down? - Spring is coming

Just entered by second tank in the database and was looking at those with the top mileage....and those at the bottom. Real clear (and no suprise) that the top several cars were driven in temps around 60-70, while the lowest several list temps in the 20-30 range .

So...for those in the north, keep the faith, as spring is on the way...even if the thermometer outside is telling a diffrent story!

Old 02-24-2006, 08:57 AM
YA RLY.
Default Re: Gas Mileage down? - Spring is coming

16F this morning. Bleh.

I guess I should be happy I can maintain 45+ mpg with underinflated tires and winter gas in sub-20F weather.

Old 02-24-2006, 09:09 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Why don't you guys just all move to the beach in Southern California?
We have lots of affordable housing and no traffic congestion at all.

Hahahahaha

Old 02-24-2006, 09:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

I've 'hypermiled' (51-52 mpg) the last couple of tanks at 25F with some really sticky ice tires (Michelin X-Ice), so I'm really looking forward to seeing what I can do with summer tires and warmer temps.

BTW, is there an 'optimum' operating temperature for the HCH? I'm hoping yes (but I think probably not) - that way I can catch up to the leaders while they're blasting their AC in 'suboptimal' heat

Last edited by subnivean; 02-24-2006 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:04 AM

Optimal temp would be the same temp as the engine block heats up to so none of its heat is lost to the atmosphere.

Unfortunately that would be very very hot, probably way over 300 degrees F.

In practice hotter is better, unless the humans turn on the air conditioner or open the windows which will increase drag.

Frankly, when it is very hot I recommend driving naked and carry a spray bottle of water to cool yourself down.
You will get great MPG.

Originally Posted by subnivean
I've 'hypermiled' the last couple of tanks at 25F with some really sticky ice tires (Michelin X-Ice), so I'm really looking forward to seeing what I can do with summer tires and warmer temps.

BTW, is there an 'optimum' operating temperature for the HCH? I'm hoping yes (but I think probably not) - that way I can catch up to the leaders while they're blasting their AC in 'suboptimal' heat

Last edited by kenny; 02-24-2006 at 10:07 AM.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:14 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kenny
Optimal temp would be the same temp as the engine block heats up to so none of its heat is lost to the atmosphere.
Yeah, I knew that - 'hope' just got the better of me

Old 02-24-2006, 11:12 AM

I haven't updated my tanks in a while out of laziness but will hopefully find the time to do so soon.
For my commutes this winter have been 30-low 40's at night and 40's to 60's day. I've been driving all freeway and been averaging around 55-56MPG. The few FAS's I get have saved me from the low 50's.

Old 02-24-2006, 01:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

Also keep in mind, when it is colder out it will take your car longer to warm up. It will take longer for the ecu to have it's engine temp/battery charge variables met. So you won't be getting your autostop as soon in that cold weather either.

The problem with warmer weather is that your intake charge temp will go up, which isn't the best way to make the most efficient power. This is why you generally see a lot of the aftermarket intakes for car labeled "cold air intake" which usually means that they pull air from a cooler spot than the engine bay (usually the fender well or grill).

Old 02-24-2006, 07:53 PM
Energy Independence

Frankly, when it is very hot I recommend driving naked and carry a spray bottle of water to cool yourself down.
You will get great MPG.
That's how you get the GREAT MPG

And by drawing such attention, you are promoting the Hybrid.

We should ALL be so dedicated to our causes.

Old 02-26-2006, 07:14 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

My last tank was aweful. Something like 42mpg. Cold temperatures were only part of it. I filled it up too early, so I didn't get those last 150 miles, with a low fuel load. I also, my wife had to drive it for 50 of the 350 miles, and killed the mileage.

Quick Reply: Gas Mileage down? - Spring is coming

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands