Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Gasoline Price Disparity?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 12:09 PM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default Re: Gasoline Price Disparity?

Originally Posted by martinjlm
Shoulda honked your horn. I woulda come out and shook your hand.

Peace,

Martin

LOL, I said that ages ago.

I live at 12 and Ryan. I even stupidly went shopping at that new Meijers last week.

Back on Topic:

It's become standard fare for the most part that gas prices go down here on Tuesdays and up on Thursdays, regardless of what's going on. Then if some 'excuse' does come up, then it goes way up on Thursdays, or at least it seems that way.

Old 08-24-2006, 06:31 AM
Enthusiast

As of this morning, the wholesale price of gasoline has dropped over $0.45 over the last 2 weeks, and is now below $1.85/gallon. Retail gasoline should therefore be at approximately $2.50/gal.

Anything above that is excessive profiteering.

We're being screwed by big oil to the tune of about $0.50/gal (20%).

Old 08-30-2006, 07:34 PM
Enthusiast

Even more interesting is looking at this map of US gas prices.

http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_gastemperaturemap.aspx

or this:

http://www.gasbuddy.com/GB_Price_List.aspx

Old 09-01-2006, 02:47 AM
Active Enthusiast

Can definitely attest to that chart. Prices in Columbus, OH have downright plummetted in the last 3 weeks, going from $3.15 to $2.29 in that short time frame.

Old 09-01-2006, 03:04 AM
Enthusiast

Don't forget the what, 18.4 cents federal tax plus the local taxes. The gas price and tax sting is only imaginary. Wikipedia the "federal gasoline tax" and see how bad the rest of the world gets it. Regardless, it seems like a bargin until you factor in the price of the pollution, politics and wars it takes to keep the supply stable. Even in a hybrid...The real screwing isn't just from the oil companies. Almost enough to make me want to buy a horse and a farm...Well, OK, maybe not, but maybe you see what I mean.

Old 09-02-2006, 08:21 AM
Automania Enthusiast
Angry Re: Gasoline Price Disparity?

We're anywhere from $2.95 to $3.04 here in upstate NY.... The gas situtation is a total rip off of the American public and as you can see from those maps more so for some of us over others.

NY capped their taxes and we were close to the national average,,,, now we are at .13-.15 cents higher again. It's all a total sham and smoke and mirrors by big oil and the crooked politicians that are letting them get away with it.

How can you legally rob the american public and not get penalized you ask???? Pay into a politicians campagin war chest and your golden.

Old 09-02-2006, 10:54 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Boston area gas prices have dropped substantially in the last week, especially at the independent stations. Surprising too leading into the holiday weekend. Coming home from work last night I took city streets (shorter AND no traffic at 3 in the morning) and saw some indy's at arounf $2.40 a gallon. The name brand stations on the highway to my house are still around $2.65 but are still headed in the right direction.

Let me play devil's advocate for a minute....I know, so unlike me.

Has anyone looked into what oil companies make for profit? No, not the billions of dollars but the margin? It is surprisingly low. The profit the companies make is huge but because they deal in many billions of dollars, even a 10 or 12% profit is still a very large number. Compare what they make in profit to say, insurance companies, pharmaceutical companies and so forth and you'll see that they aren't all that bad.

Also, who among the group owns any mutual funds? Isn't it great when they rise? They go up in value when the company stocks that make up that fund increase in value. How many mutual funds don't have oil stocks in them? Sure, there are some "green" or "socially acceptable" funds that avoid them but I'm not buying a fund unless it has a track record of increasing in value. If that means it is heavy in oil, tobacco, drugs, whatever is making money these days, I want in.

Flame me all ya' want on this post but I don't begrudge a company for making a reasonable return on investment.

JMO as always.

Old 09-03-2006, 02:19 AM
Engineering first
Cool Re: Gasoline Price Disparity?

Originally Posted by nitramjr
Boston area gas prices have dropped substantially in the last week, especially at the independent stations. Surprising too leading into the holiday weekend. . . . .
No major supply disruptions other than half of the Alaska oil field shutdown due to corrosion. I've not seen the figures but I suspect the Gulf fields are mostly back online. There are some indiciations of an economic slowdown. Mostly it is a question of supply and demand and only the paranoid think the November elections have anything to do with it. By an amazing coincidence, I understand the governor of California now campaigns with a hybrid instead of a Hummer.

Bob Wilson

Old 09-04-2006, 03:08 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Prices in these parts are falling pretty quick. Six weeks ago it was hard to find regular below $2.90. Saw $2.599 at a station ~10 miles north of here this morning. According to gasbuddy.com, the Sam's Club in Ocala is around $2.45; it was $2.589 there on 8/25.

Old 09-06-2006, 10:00 AM
Proud to be GM

Just filled up. $2.35 in Detroit.

Quick Reply: Gasoline Price Disparity?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands