Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Gasoline Price Disparity?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 06:42 PM
Automania Enthusiast
Default Re: Gasoline Price Disparity?

Originally Posted by ralph_dog
Wait until the solon braintrust sobers up and figures out that hybrids use less fuel thus paying less in road use taxes. That's when they will really get their greedy hooks into us. Let's see, maybe they'll reinstate the $100/$1,000 excise tax assessment they charge us just for the privelge of owning a car. Welcome to Taxachusetts.
Some states are already looking at additional taxes for Hybrids because they use 'less' fuel (I believe Oregon is one of the states looking at it or has a pilot program).

The State and Federal Govt's want us to use more fuel because that means more 'REVENUE' for them. They talk out of both sides of their mouths We will never win this battle till there is no more oil to pump, then they will say how did we let this happen. Big Oil, along with the Detroit big three, pay into politicians political campaigns and politicians with big money and perks for keeping the status quo. Look at Mobil/Exxon's profit numbers just published today to help you understand we the consumers are being gouged. The local dealers are not the ones getting rich, it's the politicians and the big oil companies that are.

Old 10-26-2006, 08:35 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Gasoline Price Disparity?

Originally Posted by Bob259
Look at Mobil/Exxon's profit numbers just published today to help you understand we the consumers are being gouged. The local dealers are not the ones getting rich, it's the politicians and the big oil companies that are.
This arguement about the amount of profit any company made is getting old. Yeah, they profitted $10billion. What was their total revenue? What was their profit as a percent of revenue? Those are the numbers that matter. The profit expressed as dollars is meaningless unless you are just trying to wind up the economically uneducated.

Banks, insurance companies, pharmaceutical companies all make a much higher profit margin than do oil companies. That's why I have them (and some oil) in my portfolio.....