Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Gasoline quality

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 08:29 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Gasoline quality

HI,

In the US, octane is sold at the pump by the average of research octane and the motor octane. (R+M)/2. Research octane measures tendency towards preignition under no load conditions and motor octane measure tendency toward preignition under load conditions. Research octane is always higher. In Europe, gasoline is sold at the pump based on the research octane. Your SP95 (95 research octane) will be roughly equivalent to our common regular grade 87 (R+M)/2.

Adding ethanol will result in a lower energy content per gallon and lower mileage.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:39 AM
Engineering first

Jim is correct that ethanol lowers the energy content. However, ethanol increases the octane rating. My understanding, not tested yet, is E30 can result in net performance parity with straight gas.

Bob Wilson

Old 03-04-2009, 10:47 AM
Enthusiast

To be precise, ethanol has a very high research octane of 116, but it is blended with many lower octane refinery streams to generate the common (R+M)/2 common spec of 87.

FYI gasoline futures are quoted as RBOB (Reformulated gasoline Before Oxygenate (ethanol) Blending) which usually has an (R+M)/2 of about 85.5.

http://www.bloomberg.com/markets/com...rgyprices.html

Old 05-20-2009, 06:25 PM
Enthusiast

I also have almost same question.. because we all know that we have different gasoline companies in our country or in every country. Whats the difference of the gasoline from one company from the other one. Anyway, Here's what I think they make these gasolines depends on the cars of their country.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:23 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

An even bigger question is the different gasoline blends in this country. A Shell gasoline blend in State A can be different in State B or even within the same state. Why is there so many different (11 in this link:http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d05421.pdf ) gasoline blends and why can't there just be one or two?

Old 05-22-2009, 07:33 AM
Automania Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eco.conduite.free.fr
Hi,

Do you think gasoline in Europe is best or worst than in America or Canada ? I mean, is Eurpean gasoline contains less or more energy than an American or Canadian one ?

In Europe, USA is well known for its crude oil and oil companies... So this question is in my head and I have no answer...
In Europe I know the Diesel is a better quality then the US, stated by many manufactures. If gas holds to the same standards I would say possibly better then the US gas, as I'm sure they don't have as many of the additives/blends as they add in the US to meet the different state regulations which lowers the US gas efficiency.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:29 AM
Enthusiast

Well, I think Gazoline and Diesel have a better quality in France, but since April, we have a new kind of gasoline : E10 (with about 10% of bio-ethanol). I haven't tryed it yet and I think I'll never try it ! I've read an article relative to an UK study about biofuels : the conclusion is that biofuels are not so good for environment : http://www.amisdelaterre.org/IMG/xls...ch_April09.xls and http://www.amisdelaterre.org/IMG/pdf...te_April09.pdf
Moreover, this kind of fuel has a lower density and so, my mileage will be worst.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:40 AM
TCH 2007 newbie May 07
Old 07-12-2009, 03:10 PM
Enthusiast

no..one can find samples from europe fuel but i have heard on int,radio shows
that european fuel is in fact much cleaner than north american fuel
even there engine oil has more additives but thats a different topic

but yah are fuel is dirtier compared to europes fuel mind you they do pay
much more for it than we do here.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:46 PM
Enthusiast

Gasoline quality is an issue few people think about. When hurricane Katrina hit in the summer of 2005, gasoline prices soared. Everyone was scrambling to buy the cheapest gas they could find, and the sales volume of premium and mid-range gasoline dropped. They said there was a serious fuel shortage, so refiners who were normally required to make reformulated gasoline (lower emissions) were temporarily allowed to cut some corners so they could produce more gallons of gasoline from each barrel of crude oil. Consequently, there was an unpublicized drop in both fuel quality and octane rating during this period. We also suspect that some oil companies (but not all) also used this opportunity to cut back their use of detergents and deposit control additives in their gasoline.
simulation credit immo - Simulation credit immo. L’Internet a rendu encore plus facile d’obtenir de l’aide pour trouver le credit immo.

Quick Reply: Gasoline quality

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands