Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Go Zero

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 09:11 AM
YA RLY.
Default Go Zero

Figure out how much CO2 you create, then toss these guys a couple of bucks to plant some trees for you which will absorb your yearly amount of CO2.

http://www.conservationfund.org/?article=3128

Old 04-20-2006, 12:36 PM
World's First Hybrid
Default Re: Go Zero

Sounds like a practical solution but only if we can stop the rainforest destruction, which is thousands of acres per day, (1.5 acres per second are lost).... Maybe a bucket full of green algae spores tossed into the ocean would be a better alternative, and cheaper too....????? I think CO2 absorbsion is not keeping up with CO2 production.

Old 04-23-2006, 04:55 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Not so fast, new studies question whether planting trees may make things worse, as young trees produce a lot of methane which is worse than the offsetting co2, which will also be rereleased with time anyways.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...1/s1545977.htm

http://www.globaljusticeecology.org/...getrees&ID=158

We are only following George W. Bush's lead by thinking planting trees is the answer to global warming.

Save a couple of bucks or in my case, $83.72 a year it calculated for my footprint.

Old 04-23-2006, 06:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

I walked around our property today, and stopped counting at 200 trees, "all big and mature". I don't know how many trees I have on my property, but 8 are being cut down this summer. The reason is to build a new 4 car garage, that will have a south facing roof I will utilize in the future for solar panels. All the trees I'm cuttind down are pines, no hardwoods, or leafy trees. I'm also investigating wind energy.

Just a note about producing heat. I burn corn and ran out the first week of March. I got my first gas bill where I have not burned any corn. My bill was 4 times what I was paying while burning corn, and I only used 45 therms! I checked my passed bills, and averaged 150 therms a month from November through March!

I'm excited about trying another energy source, and I'll keep the board updated if and when I get something new going.