Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Graph Comparing Hybrid vs Non Hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 03:21 PM
Enthusiast
Default Graph Comparing Hybrid vs Non Hybrid?

The graph comparing the real world mean/median mpg on hybrids is very useful.

It would be nice to be able to also compare the real world averages for some other high epa mpg rated cars, and see how they compare. Perhaps I'm missing it, but although there seems to be a lot of non-hybrid data in the database, I don't see how to get some model averages for comparison.

Old 05-11-2005, 04:37 PM
Site Founder
Default Re: Graph Comparing Hybrid vs Non Hybrid?

kmand,
The database is built for hybrid data. Those who have other vehicles are permitted to input the name of their vehicle. The database tracks their progress, but since there's no easy way to keep up-to-date with every car on the market, they can't simply be compared. I carefully write the code for each of the hybrid calculations... imagine if I had to do this for 200 cars instead of seven!

Old 05-12-2005, 07:43 AM
Enthusiast

Yes, I can imagine doing 200 models would be difficult, and probably the number of data points on each would be insufficient.

Still, I keep on hearing it argued that the hybrids have a particularly large gap between epa figures and real results, and that several Prius size non-hybrids get real world mileage similar to the Prius without the expense.

It would be good to do a few comparisons if the data is amenable.

Old 05-12-2005, 09:49 AM
Site Founder

I'll see. Definitely no promises, though. I plan on writing an article to the effect of "Things to Know About the Real Mileage Database" that talks about things like EPA, calculations, bias, etc.

Old 05-22-2005, 08:56 PM
Diesel driver

Some non-hybrids are scoring pretty decent fuel economy numbers (I'm consistently over 65 MPG recently) but I can understand Jason's programming problem. One possible solution would be to sample some non-hybrid cars like the VW TDI and smart fortwo cdi, write the appropriate code for them and use them as a benchmark. I could get a few other smart owners to post here if you like, to make it worth your while.

Another alternative is to go to www.spritmonitor.de

It is a site similar to this one, but for all cars. It's in German and the consumption is metric, but they have a pretty rich database. For example, they have 850 smart cars listed (some Diesel, some gasoline), as well as VW TDIs....

Old 05-22-2005, 09:27 PM
Site Founder

As interesting as this sounds, its divergence from the topic of this site is an issue. It's exponentially more important to concentrate on expanding in the current market. Sorry, guys.