Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

HCH2 Tests - Speed, AC vs FE

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 10:08 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: HCH2 Tests - Speed, AC vs FE

Originally Posted by gumby
Bob, why do you say the 65 and 70 miles per hour are unexpected?
I remember the HCH being lower than the Prius and I thought more aerodynamic with a smaller cross-section. Also, Honda has a reputation for very efficient engines even though I knew the HCH didn't have the lean-burn. I was expecting the HCH having better high-speed performance than the Prius.

The HCH does do pretty good, even better than the Prius at 55-60 mph. What this suggests is something non-linear or unexpected is happening at speeds of 65 mph and above. This is something worth investigating to understand if it is engine, drive train or aerodynamic.

Originally Posted by gumby
It seems to make sense to me. Isn't overcoming the wind resistance going up (exponentially) as speed increases? I think what spartybrutus' chart is showing is at higher and higher speeds, that the SPEED itself is the greatest hindrance to MPG, and that the AC of (relatively) minimal effect.
Actually the AC effect was perhaps a little high but it seemed to go away at 70 mph. But I'm not really interested in tuning AC systems.

No what bothers me is the shape of the MPG curve is wrong (see blue line below):

The HCH down-slope is more consistent with the onset of some non-linear effect. It would be interesting to find out the source.

Bob Wilson

Old 10-01-2007, 10:07 AM
HypoFueler

Bob -

I think the speed vs MPG data for this 16 run test are okay and are fairly represented by the chart. The replicated runs seem to give low noise versus signal so I was fairly confident that the FE behaved as shown for the test conditions used. I dont know what the FE data would show above 70mph - probably lower, but I wont drive there anyhow...

To me, it would be premature to claim non linear or unexpected effects based on my test data.

The AC effect (at MAX AC) is what it was - more of a hit at 50 than at 70.

Last edited by spartybrutus; 10-01-2007 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:54 AM
Engineering first

First, I want to thank you for providing excellent data. We've been mostly in the dark in this area and this bring enlightenment.
Originally Posted by spartybrutus
I think the speed vs MPG data for this 16 run test are okay and are fairly represented by the chart. The replicated runs seem to give low noise versus signal so I was fairly confident that the FE behaved as shown for the test conditions used. I dont know what the FE data would show above 70mph - probably lower, but I wont drive there anyhow...
No argument from me! I've recently found that 68 mph is about the highest cruise speed I ever want to use for efficiency and hill climbing works best at 55-60 mph. I've been faster, up to 101 mph, to gather some engineering data but I don't recommend it.

To me, it would be premature to claim non linear or unexpected effects based on my test data.
We're in the same boat here. With my Prius, I'd noticed a sudden drop off from 70 mph to 75 mph. It turns out this corresponds to hitting the MG1 limit of 6,500 rpm that begins right at 70 mph. From 70 mph and above, the ICE has to run all of the time to generate power to keep MG1 rpm below 6,500 rpm. This causes a distinct fall-off in efficiency.

It is the steepness of the curve and the wrong inflection that has me wondering. What is going on above 65 mph?

. . . The AC effect (at MAX AC) is what it was - more of a hit at 50 than at 70.
Interesting, I'm not quite ready to look at tuning AC systems. Still, you've provided a valuable 'heads up' to our HCH community.

Understand I couldn't be happier to see this data because it gives us clues, insights, about were we need to look for further improvements.

Bob Wilson

Old 10-03-2007, 08:55 AM
Enthusiast

I actually don't notice any change in my MPG from using the A/C in my HCHII.
The biggest change in my MPG comes from highway (which i do M-F for my work commute) to city driving (which I do on the weekend).

Old 03-15-2008, 07:28 AM
HypoFueler

Thanks for all the feedback. I added a years worth of tanks FE vs outdoor temps (to the origional post). As others have found, there is a fairly strong relationship.