Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Honda civic mileage problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 07:16 PM
Enthusiast
Default Honda civic mileage problem

I have a 2004 Honda civic hybrid. My mileage on long trips has been between 38 and 42. The average for the last 700 miles is now 38.7. I really enjoy having this car.

Several weeks ago I had a major 50,000 mile service performed at the Honda Dealer for big bucks. As soon as I got the car back I realized that the mileage had greatly decreased. It went down to 35. I complained to the Dealer but you know how that goes. I am asking if there is a computer setting on the car that affects mileage efficiency that might have been changed.

Larry

Old 10-01-2009, 07:28 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Honda civic mileage problem

Maybe they dropped the air pressure in your tires! Do you use 0-20 wt oil. Maybe they put 10-30 wt. in the ICE. These two items can efect your FE. Hal

Old 10-01-2009, 07:36 PM
Think green.

Now that you mention it, I've been trying to figure out why my car had such crummy mileage after I had CVT work done a few months back. It was down around 35 like yours is doing now. Since then it has crept up pretty steadily, and my last tank calculated out to 45 mpg. I remember reading somewhere that sometimes after they perform certain maintenance procedures on the car, the computer has to go through a "relearn" procedure.
Can't remember where I read it. Maybe you could try a search here or look around on cleanmpg.

Edit:
I took another look at my mpg data, and the same thing happened to me after my 30,000 mile maintenance was done; the mpg went down into the mid-30's and then crept back up in the months following.

Last edited by Gairwyn; 10-01-2009 at 07:43 PM. Reason: additional comment
Old 10-06-2009, 10:19 AM
Think green.

Interesting...

davies said:

Hello

I just bought a 2007 Honda Civic hybrid in September. I am very disgusted with this car because of the poor gas mileage. I average about 32.5 on a tank of gas. That is combined city and highway in the Northeast. I would never have bought this car if I knew the mileage was so bad. The stickers for 2008 say 40 to 45, but I never have gotten close to 40. I have read all I can on how to drive the car, but those adjustments (including raising the tire pressure to 35, coasting, cruise control, and driving like a grandmother) have made no difference. I should have bought a Pius. I have two friends who have one and they both average between 40 and 50 mpg.i plan to pursue my complaint with the company. Any body having similar problems? any suggestions?

Yet if you copy & paste that post and google it, it's a near verbatim copy of a post made to the hybridcars.com forums back in 2007. Except in the original post they know how to spell Prius correctly.

~spam~
maybe we don't want to buy any lifting slings...

Last edited by Gairwyn; 10-06-2009 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:06 PM

I hate when my wife drives my 2004 CVT HCH instead of her Grand Caravan to take the kids to school. It's started up cold and driven the 18 miles round trip, then I start it up cold again hours later to commute for work.

She doesn't drive with fuel economy in mind and probably averages 42-45MPG.

My commute is 50 miles one way. I drive 2 miles to the freeway, exit the freeway 4 miles from work off-peak hours and average just over 60MPG with moderate fuel saving techniques.

All my tires are hard as rock @ 50PSI.

Your Mileage Will Vary. UMWV

Old 10-19-2009, 04:18 AM
Enthusiast

My 2004 Honda Civic engine light came on. My mechanic replaced the EGR valve. The light went out but the gas mileage has dropped by almost 10 miles. I thought I'd check here before I went back.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:32 PM
Enthusiast

I also have a 2007 Civic Hybrid, my milage is also 34.2, never any higher and the car has 12,000 on it. Most of my driving is done on the hiway, Ive found in order for my milage graph (on the dash) to read 50 mph and higher, I have to keep the engine rpms at 1900, if it goes to 2000, the bottom drops out of the milage. 1900 rpms is 50mph. Ive complained to Honda about this and all I get is..yeah your right, that is low. Now they are mailing letters to announce this lawsuit, and all they want to do to fix this is give you $100? or a rebate on a new car, another Honda no less. I have numerous problems with this car, I even took it to Honda, and when the service rep came to the car and asked what I'm bringing it in for, when I told him the car wouldnt climb a hill, I was told..Take it home..we dont know how to fix that yet. Can you imagine living in S.F. and your car wont climb a hill? Also, to any 2007 Honda Civic Hybrid owners... be aware that if you hit something or someone and the impact does not touch the bumper on either side of the liscense plate, the air bags will not deploy! I hit a ped. Impact was in the middle of the liscense plate, he continued up on the hood, caved that in, exploded my windsheild in my lap and finally came to rest on the roof, which also caved in, And not one air bag deployed. Also be advised that if you add a after market bra, purchased and installed by Honda, this bra GREATLY reduces the distance you can see in front of you. Ive documented all of these complaints about this car to American Honda, and as of this date, this law suit about the milage is the only thing I've heard. To those Honda hybrid owners, if you get great milage, count your blessings, there are lots more of us that dont, than do.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:54 PM

Well if I bought a car that wouldn't climb a hill and the dealer brushed me off then first I'd speak to a regional manager. Honda corp has always treated me more than fairly, even paying over half for repairs.

I can drive my own car very hard and get low 40's even upper 30's MPG's. Or I can drive it conservatively and get mid 50's, more conservatively and above 60's and rediculously radically conservatively and exceed 1000 mile tanks. (See my signature below)
What I'm saying is there are a lot of factors that effect mileage and if you're always hitting hills and either don't or can't drive conservatively then mileage will suffer.

So you hit a pedestrian so hard it caused all that damage and you're upset your bags didn't deploy?
Did you realize there are certain things that must occur before the bags inflate? One requirement is traveling more than 30 MPH (Or is it 35?)

I've been part of 2 unrelated lawsuits in the past 30 (or so) years. I get a letter from a law firm announcing a class action lawsuit against a company and asked to participate. Both cases were settled out of court, the lawyers collected their fee and we the consumer don't even get a "Thank you".

Last edited by Hot_Georgia_2004; 10-30-2009 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:06 PM
Enthusiast

Hi Georgia... I did contact American Honda directly, about the transmission problem and like most big companies, they have someone who answers the phones that part of their job is to smooth the problems over by saying, oh,,we havent had any complaints about that, which I know is not true, so..maybe you had good luck contacting Honda, I have not. As for the milage, its not a matter of not driving conservativly, my car does not get 50 mpg. I dont red line the tach when leaving a stop sign, I dont use downshift to pass someone going too slow, I dont speed up and slow down, when going long distances, I use cruise control. The car I have only shows 50+ mpg if I keep the rpms at 1900 or lower and that translates to about 50 mph, if I only did slow country lane driving, then sure I'de also get a 1000 miles on a tank. Im not saying that you are incorrect, but you are one of the lucky ones. I might try your trick of 50 lbs tire pressure. To the people who get great milage, Im glad for you. I actually have a 2001 Honda Accord which gets 38mpg hiway driving, go figure. This is why we bought the 2007 Civic Hybrid, but oh well.

Now for the air bags, I was traveling at almost 50 mph when the ped ran out in the hwy, I've contacted Honda and a few other people about the air bags not deploying, I was told that there are two sensors behind your front bumper, one on each side that only deploy the bags if your bumper takes a direct hit, in my accident, contact with the ped was made directly in the middle of the license plate, and yes im upset, because the ped landed about two inches from my windshield on the hood, directly in front of where I was sitting, then my windshield exploded and landed in my lap, the ped continued up to the roof where he remained till I came to a complete stop. So the ped made contact with the car 4 places, license plate, hood, windsheild and roof, and I came within 2 inches of dying that night, if I had been going 5 mph slower, I would be dead along with the ped. So yes, there is a problem, not sure how they can fix it, maybe some sort of sensor around the windsheild, or a third sensor in the front bumper. I just hope that this type of accident does not happen to someone with children in the passenger seat. Ive also found out that I am not the only one who has a concern about air bags not deploying, not on just the Honda. Drive safe everyone, life is so fragile.