Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Honda leases first fuel cell car in U.S.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 09:05 AM
Site Founder
Default Honda leases first fuel cell car in U.S.

This family must be super-rich or funded by Honda because I wonder where they're going to fill up...
A Los Angeles family has become the first in the United States to lease a hydrogen-powered car from Honda, as the company introduces consumers to the zero-emission technology. Honda, which already leases nonpolluting FCX fuel cell cars to several cities, said the initial consumer test was critical toward eventual commercial viability.

Jon and Sandy Spallino will pay $500 a month for the two-year lease.
http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/07/06/s...ion=cnn_latest

Old 07-06-2005, 09:59 AM
Rarely post anything
Default Re: Honda leases first fuel cell car in U.S.

As I understand it, they have access to Hydrogen in their locale - Cali is now in the early stages of their 'Hydrogen Highway' initiative - a good idea that Arnold promoted.

I've also heard that they also currently own a Civic CX (Natural Gas), so they're somewhat accustomed to non-traditional refueling That's probably how they got picked, I'll bet.

And, yes, the lease is subsidized - that car (currently) costs about 1.2MM to produce. The other thing is the insurance - AHM built that into the lease for sure, because I'd like to see what common carrier would underwrite collision on that car, much less comprehensive...
So, for $500/mo, that's not a bad deal, IMO, to make history
I wonder if they get to add the car to Honda's OwnerLink...

Old 07-06-2005, 04:12 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Honda leases first fuel cell car in U.S.

Hopefully they will make some available here in BC soon. We are installing a hydrogen highway for the 2010 Olympics, mostly for a fleet of Ballard fuel-cell busses, but I did hear about some million dollar Ford Focus FCVs that officials will be using. By the end of summer the hydrogen stations will be installed, so any time would be great!