Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Fuel Economy & Emissions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/)
-   -   How much has your hybrid saved you? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/how-much-has-your-hybrid-saved-you-18185/)

Flexus 05-16-2008 01:28 PM

How much has your hybrid saved you?

How much do you figure you save monthly by owning a hybrid as compared to your previous vehicle? I have gone from a 4 cyl Grand Am SE (which was already quite fuel efficient) to an 09 Camry and figure after my first tank I will be saving about 60$ a month (I live very close to where I work). I love the car, the money savings is just a bonus for me :)

coolshock1 05-16-2008 01:44 PM

Re: How much has your hybrid saved you?

$483 in 57 days. I traded in an '02 Bonneville SSEi which required premium fuel. I drive 40 miles 1 way to work so 400 miles a week just for work. My combined avg on the Bonne was 18.5.

Welcome to the club! Did you learn the secret handshake yet?

Pravus Prime 05-16-2008 10:54 PM

To date, $6,238 according to my spreadsheet in less then 3 years. 1995 Ford Explorer. This isn't counting money saved in fewer oil changes or maintenance (in 2005 it was starting to get costly to maintain).

1stpik 05-17-2008 04:51 AM

Traded in my Honda Element for a Civic Hybrid one year ago. The Element averaged 24 mpg, and the HCH averages 47 mpg. For most of the past year, gasoline was slightly below $3. Now it's much more than $3. So I'll use a simple $3 average price for the calculations.

After 24,000 miles, the hybrid has burned 510 gallons of gasoline. The Element, if I still had it, would have burned 1,000 gallons. The Element would have cost me $3,000 in gas, while the HCH has cost only $1,500.

So there's my savings in one year -- $1,500. That's $125 per month.

But that's comparing the Civic Hybrid to a small SUV. If you compare it to its equivalent -- a regular Honda Civic -- the savings look like this:

Civic Hybrid @ 47 mpg for 24,000 miles = 510 gallons gasoline x $3 = $1,500

Regular Civic @ 30 mpg for 24,000 miles = 800 gallons gasoline x $3 = $2,400

So the hybrid saves $900 per year vs. the regular Civic. The price difference is $3,000.

Even with the reduced $1,000 tax credit (last year it was $2,100), the hybrid still pays for itself in 2 years. Less than that, if gasoline goes to $4 per gallon.

habu968 05-17-2008 05:13 AM

$240 the first 6 weeks over the MDX we traded.

gpsman1 05-17-2008 05:06 PM

Compared to a regular V6 Escape car, my hybrid at $30,200 fully loaded saved:

$4400 in year 1 ( tax breaks and gas savings )
$850 in gas year 2
$1200 in gas year 3

That's over the past 64,000 miles... and counting.

Hybrid premium? What hybrid premium?
I see nothing but discounts for buying a hybrid.

coolshock1 05-17-2008 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Pravus Prime (Post 172661)
To date, $6,238 according to my spreadsheet in less then 3 years. 1995 Ford Explorer. This isn't counting money saved in fewer oil changes or maintenance (in 2005 it was starting to get costly to maintain).

I forgot about the oil change savings. I have only had to change my oil 1 time so far.

CJO2007CamryHyb 05-18-2008 04:16 AM

I'm looking at a $1800 to $2000 savings over 9 months with the $650 tax credit. Fuel savings of at least $1100-1200 so far. As the price of gas goes up...........the savings goes up as well. I used $3.50/gal to get that number...........it's an average. ;)

08hybridok 05-18-2008 11:42 AM

Hard to figure for me. I was not in the market to purchase a car when I bought mine last year. I just bought a mini van 1 year before that. Payoff was $13k, got payoff in the trade so net value of $0 (sad after putting $4k downpayment on a 1 year old mini van!) Avg 17mpg, but was getting ready to have some problems (possibly) as it started wining on the highway (engine not wind), and one of the power slide doors was possesed, and needed tires, so was getting ready to cost some $$.
So bought new 08 escape for about $29k. Tax credits =$4500 (but took 9 months after purchase to get). Avg about 30mpg.
We've put just over 12k miles on in a year, haven't kept gas price records, but say an avg or mean price of $3/gal = a gas savings of ~$1000, 3 oil changes save ~$75.

So $29,000-4,500-1,000-75 I'm at savings of -$23,425 so far... a few months off payback! ;) But would go back for a million dollars... well wait a min that's at least 2-3 tanks of gas...;)

Pravus Prime 05-18-2008 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by coolshock1 (Post 172742)
I forgot about the oil change savings. I have only had to change my oil 1 time so far.

I should add that the figure that I stated is in fuel savings only, no tax credit/rebates, nothing else, just how much money I've saved at the pump.

Mikesan 05-18-2008 06:26 PM

We were getting about 12-13 mpg with our Jeep Commander Hemi. Fuel was costing us more than $300/mo at around $3.60/gal. Have had the HCH for exactly one month. Got 43+ mpg on the first tank (mostly in town driving) and still have half a tank left since filling it myself. We've burned about 15 gals this month since leasing the car at a cost of less than $60. So gas savings alone are over $240/mo. The difference between the Jeep payment of $451 to the HCH's lease payment of $200 and there's another $251 in savings. Looking at close to $500/mo in savings total and only have a two year commitment instead of another 4 plus years on the Jeep.

liderbug 05-18-2008 08:34 PM

I was driving a 94 Mitsubishi Eclipse and was driving for mileage - lot of coasting, engine off at lights, etc so I was getting about 35 mpg. My 08' HCH2 5 th tank did 54 mpg so my math says I'll save $50 month. I got the car at a good price and that math says at $3.75/gal I'll break even at about 3.5 years. Now as gas goes to $4, $5/gal. I'll be even better off. And I'm greener. :shade:

livvie 05-19-2008 07:10 AM

I'm in the hole big time. Went from riding a bike to work to having to buy a car, insurance, gas, and everything else that comes with owning the car. So negative savings here. ;-)

Bobs Metallic Pearl 05-19-2008 07:38 AM

My forumla is kind of complicated, I went from driving a 1996 Accord with 8-12 gallona a week AND 1999 Ford ranger about 14 gallons a week. For about 1220 per year fuel used.

I bought the Hybrid, AND moved closer to work and town so, in the last year I have used 15 tanks in the HCHII & 4 tanks of e-85 in the truck.
You could say my gas usage amounted to about 158 gallons in the last year (150 Civic & 8.5 truck @ 85% ethonol)
You do remember me saying it was complicated dont you?

By my estimate, based on todays prices, in my old lifestyle I would have consumed $4,501.80 (1220X$3.63) in fuel, using my new lifestyle I am using $544.50 in gas and $189.84 in e-85 (56X $3.39) for $734.34 a year....so, I am saving $3,767,16 in fuel a year as of TODAYS numbers or about $314 a month.

Kinda takes the steam out of the two theories you have to drive a hybrid a million miles a year to break even and it takes years for them to pay for themselves...My expectation was never for the car to pay for itself, my intent was to buy the house I wanted, in an area I wanted to live in as well as the car I wanted without compromise...I have succeded in both fronts as my house is superinsulated, my applances are energy star and my car is less poluting and less fuel dependant and my truck, for the little I drive it burns 15% gas. :shade:

bwilson4web 05-19-2008 09:32 AM

The old Camry got 32 MPG and the Prius gets 52 MPG:

50,000 miles / 32 MPG -> 1,562 gal.
50,000 miles / 52 MPG -> 961 gal.

600 gallons saved @$2.50/gal. estimated fuel cost past 2.5 years

$1,500 fuel savings
~60 trips to gas station not taken

We had considered the Scion xB as the alternative to the Prius but it also gets only 32 MPG. Then there is a quality of life ... a quite ride without fuel concerns.

Bob Wilson

laurie 05-19-2008 10:23 AM

i went from a honda crv, at about 22mpg, to my HCH-I, with a lifetime of 54.

assuming i drove the CRV as much as the hch, which is 75,000 miles (i have recently shortened my commute, thank goodness), the difference in the FE of the two......and assuming an average price of 3.50/gallon, over the 2-1/2 years i have owned the HCH, it saved me $7846........in gasoline.

HafNHaf 05-19-2008 02:00 PM

at $2.00 a gallon, about $170 per month. just finished paying the insight off at $152 per month. even at those "old" gas prices, the car paid for itself AND 1/2 the gas it used! couldn't be happier!

kristian 05-19-2008 02:05 PM

I think driving the hybrids have saved me at least one speeding ticket a year which has got to be about $200 in savings now, not to mention the impact on my car insurance :).

Seriously though, between the two hybrids, we are saving about $900 in gas a year (we don't drive much), and we have received almost $10,000 in tax credits. Needless to say, buying the hybrids was a win/win in my book!

spartybrutus 05-19-2008 02:16 PM

Over last 14 months, 25k miles, spent less on:

Fuel: $3.50 x 25,000 x (1/25mpg - 1/55mpg) = $1906. Also a few $ hundred not driving our minivan.

Less snacks/sodas at the 2x/week fillups. Now can wait 10-14 days and plan to go to same station/pump.

gpsman1 05-21-2008 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by liderbug (Post 172813)
And I'm greener. :shade

Maybe, but you're a liderbug!:omg:

BigTuna 05-21-2008 01:44 PM

About 600 gallons of fuel. Price has changed dramatically from around $1.50/gal to $3.75/gal so the cost savings is impossible to calculate. Using $2.50 a gallon as a rough average estimate:

$1500.00

liderbug 05-21-2008 04:12 PM

And my wife is a ladybug ..:P

<groan................>

jpjpjpjpjp 05-21-2008 05:55 PM

I going to make a different, probably unpopular, point. I think the word "savings" is misleading.

What if gasoline prices had gone down? Would you be asking how much money your hybrid cost you? (in terms of cost differential between hybrid and non-hybrid?)

To answer this question, you need to consider the additional capital you committed to a hybrid. This capital served a as hedge to the price of gasoline.

You could have equally invested this hedge into crude futures, or the ETF (USO)...which is up 40% YTD and more than 100% in past year.

I'm all for buying hybrids for environmental reasons. But fact is, unless you drive far more than the average person, the economics doesn't work out for hybrids...yet. Either the price of oil needs to go higher, or the cost of hybrids needs to go lower for this to become a good investment.

So the question is more like..."how good of an oil trader are you", did you call the direction of the market correctly?

I make this point because many people buy hybrids thinking it is a great economic investment when the reality couldn't be further from the truth (for the average driver).

liderbug 05-21-2008 06:39 PM

Well as I said above - 94 Mitz pushing 150,000 miles - not burning oil ... yet. So in my case a different car wasn't an option - ya I could have put it off ??? 6 months ??? I could have gone for the 07 HCH, 14Km for only 1500 less than what I paid for the 08. And I was looking for an excuse. And as Kermit said, Sometimes it's not easy being green.

BigTuna 05-21-2008 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by jpjpjpjpjp (Post 173228)
I going to make a different, probably unpopular, point. I think the word "savings" is misleading.

What if gasoline prices had gone down? Would you be asking how much money your hybrid cost you? (in terms of cost differential between hybrid and non-hybrid?)

To answer this question, you need to consider the additional capital you committed to a hybrid. This capital served a as hedge to the price of gasoline.

You could have equally invested this hedge into crude futures, or the ETF (USO)...which is up 40% YTD and more than 100% in past year.

I'm all for buying hybrids for environmental reasons. But fact is, unless you drive far more than the average person, the economics doesn't work out for hybrids...yet. Either the price of oil needs to go higher, or the cost of hybrids needs to go lower for this to become a good investment.

So the question is more like..."how good of an oil trader are you", did you call the direction of the market correctly?

I make this point because many people buy hybrids thinking it is a great economic investment when the reality couldn't be further from the truth (for the average driver).

If you are thinking in purely economic terms you might be right. I suspect that most hybrid drivers feel good about saving gas/not burning gas. Even if they could have made more money driving a guzzler and investing in the stock market most would choose the hybrid all over again anyway. I would.

rogell24 05-21-2008 07:31 PM

Im spending 34 dollars less each week on gas. I drive 48 miles each way to work and was filling up every 3 1/2 days in my mustang. So about 125 dollars a month less at 3.59 a gallon

kristian 05-21-2008 09:13 PM

Would you be asking how much money your hybrid cost you? (in terms of cost differential between hybrid and non-hybrid?)

It's funny that no one ever says: "yeah, but I'm almost to the break even point on my M3 vs. if I had gotten that 328..." Is it that hard to believe that people are actually having FUN in these cars? For years people have been paying thousands extra for a few more ponies and a stiffer suspention in the name of fun. I have a lot more fun driving the HCH than I did my old Subie, even though it would hit 60mph in literally TWICE as quickly as the HCH.

K (finanically in the black on both hybrids already and couldn't be happier)

spartybrutus 05-22-2008 02:18 AM

Gas prices have not tended to go down year over year for last several years
http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_retail_pr...t.aspx?time=24

but thats not the point - there typically are significant operations (fuel) cost savings if you were going to invest in a new car when the car gets high (>40mpg - hybrid or not) versus much lower FE. I agree that some high FE non hybrids may be the lowest Total Cost of Ownership for say 5 years out, but many hybrids are on the low cost end.

Its investing in new low FE vehicles that are typically bad personal (and environmental) investments. I doubt there are many new Hummer or Escalade owners out there saying "if only gas was back to $3/gal, this would be a great investment" - then again, many probably would. :(

Robka 05-22-2008 11:10 AM

Hybrid owners are investing in the planet. It's time to take GREED out of the equation.

What's your number?

FastMover 05-22-2008 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by kristian (Post 173256)
It's funny that no one ever says: "yeah, but I'm almost to the break even point on my M3 vs. if I had gotten that 328..." Is it that hard to believe that people are actually having FUN in these cars? For years people have been paying thousands extra for a few more ponies and a stiffer suspention in the name of fun. I have a lot more fun driving the HCH than I did my old Subie, even though it would hit 60mph in literally TWICE as quickly as the HCH.

K (finanically in the black on both hybrids already and couldn't be happier)

Yes, "jpjpjpjpjpjp" just doesn't get it. Some folks justify Beemers and Mercs becasue they enjoy handling or just showing their affluence, others spend so much to restore '50's beaters that they will never get their money out of them.

Why is it hard then, for them to accept that I enjoy a quiet efficient car that I know is good for my pocketbook and also for the planet.

BTW -- based on my first years fuel spend and total operating costs, my TCH will break into the black in month 17. This considers everything: Acquisition costs, energy credit, operating costs, indirect operating costs and depreciation.

spinner 05-23-2008 05:16 AM

Open up the following two links in separate windows for side-by-side comparison:
smart fortwo cdi (my previous car)
Honda Civic Hybrid-II

The above represents stats for the first 10 months of ownership of both vehicles. While the smart fortwo cdi comes out more efficient at face value, I find myself driving much less now than before. There is no more "just for kicks" kind of driving that a cute and unique car like that promotes. The rise in price of fuel means that I'm spending 8.5% more today than three years ago. But now I'm producing half a Metric tonne less of CO2 and 9% less overall fuel consumption. Other savings with the hybrid: Half as many refills; Improved driver confidence and satisfaction; More capacity; More than double the horsepower but 50% more torque; Much more enjoyable in-car experience; Privileged parking spots for hybrids; Maintenance costs cut by over 75%; And, 100% reduction in follow-up visits to the Service Centre.

If I had purchased a more conventional compact car instead of the smart, then I estimate that my mostly city driving would cost 40% less in the hybrid.

300TTto545 05-24-2008 04:49 AM

18000 miles a year. 545 at 18 mpg or HCH II at 53 mpg.

545 - 1000 gallons HCH - 340 gallons

Savings - $1980 or $165 a month. Now at $4 - $2840

The payment savings (lease on 545 vs buy on HCH) is more like $300 a month. TCO is more like $800 a month savings.

texaskiwi 05-27-2008 06:27 AM

I've had my FEH since November 2007. Since then I've saved about $330 overall. My car payment is more than my old payment. I've saved money on insurance, gas, and oil changes so far. Not taking the car payments into consideration I've saved over $800, nearly $700 just in gas.

I'm about to get my car refinanced. The Ford dealership screwed up my credit rating temporarily so I got a much higher interest rate when I went back to my credit union. After I do that I'll be saving even more.

NOTU 05-30-2008 04:14 PM

I bought my HCH in 2005. Prior to that I drove my Dodge Dakota pickup. Dodge mileage is about 16.5 mpg. Lifetime mileage on Civic is 55.7mpg. I have about 65,000 miles on my Civic. If I assume an average of $3.00 a gal for gas that works out to about $8300.00 in savings. It is realy more than that because I was going to trade the truck for an Escalade!

Mark E Smith 06-03-2008 03:26 PM

About $200 a month since gas has gone up. Bought FEH in May 07 so far $2500. Hybrid penalty ?

Benton 06-07-2008 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Flexus (Post 172601)
How much do you figure you save monthly by owning a hybrid as compared to your previous vehicle?

Here's a different answer: Because we bought a hybrid, I started reading this forum. Because I started reading this forum, I learned about things like the ScanGaugeII, tricks/techniques for stretching mileage and got curious to see how much I could improve FE in my conventional Explorer.

With ScanGauge-guided 'agressive coasting' I think I may have bumped up from 15 1/2 - 16 mpg up towards 20, yielding a fuel reduction of just over 100 gal / year. Today's fillup was $4.15/gal. I'm on track to pay for the ScanGauge in under 5 months, and hope to save > $400 year -- in my non-hybrid -- because of the hybrid. 8*)

Benton 7jun08

rmcmast 06-08-2008 10:30 AM

I've had the FEH FWD since October 2006. According to my spreadsheet we have saved $1,956 in gas alone (716 gallons saved). This is based on an estimate of 21mpg for the 2005 6cyl Escape we traded in, which is probably on the high side.

-- Rick

Spaceship 06-10-2008 02:34 AM

Hi ,
I have an Estima Hybrid and save about 500 to 600 litres per year. That saves about NZ$1000 per year. Pay back would be about 8 to 10 years at that rate but thats not the point for me.
Mark v

Robka 06-10-2008 05:52 AM

Spaceship - That's the spirit:D . I had a chance to visit your beautiful country this past February and I had a terrific time. I was very impressed with the selection of organic foods, wines, etc. I spent time on the north and south islands and I am looking forward to another visit someday.:)

Cheers

Robka

Mikesan 07-01-2008 11:22 PM

It's funny reading thru this thread and seeing that just a couple months ago people were using $3.50/gal for their calculations. Here in Cali even the no-name discount 87 octane is about $4.50/ making the "savings" even greater. We just took the HCH to San Jose and averaged 55+ mpg with two adults, two kids, some stuff in the trunk, AC on and 85+ degree outside temps. Did keep the speed under 60 to get that mileage, but it only added 10 mins to the trip. Pretty sure bet that at the end of the 2 year lease we're gonna buy the car!