Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Fuel Economy & Emissions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/)
-   -   How much has your mileage improved? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/how-much-has-your-mileage-improved-21818/)

ScorpD 05-30-2009 04:14 AM

How much has your mileage improved?

We always see what kind of mileage everyone is getting with their hybrid, I'm interested in how much your mpg has improved over your previous car. For example I used to drive a 06 Civic coupe and averaged 33mpg now in my Insight II I average 50.

Since we all drive in different conditions and different routes I think this would be a more meaningful number.

Gairwyn 05-30-2009 11:16 AM

Re: How much has your mileage improved?

Originally Posted by ScorpD (Post 203925)
Since we all drive in different conditions and different routes I think this would be a more meaningful number.

That's a very good point, and one that I often forget. Sometimes I will calculate a tank on my current car and be disappointed, totally forgetting that the same bad commute used to be so much worse with my old car.

I had a 1991 Oldsmobile Ciera. My around-town/ to & from work commute got me an average tank of about 18mpg. And that's with a car that coasted like crazy. It just hated short commutes. It was nice on the highway though, once getting me an all-highway tank of 40 mpg.

The '04 Honda Civic hybrid doesn't like the short commute or the stop & go traffic much either, but the average mpg is way better. Click on the link in my signature to see the best and worst data so far. If I remember correctly the worst winter tank was around 30 and the best tank average was nearly 49 mpg.

Frodo 06-04-2009 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by ScorpD (Post 203925)
We always see what kind of mileage everyone is getting with their hybrid, I'm interested in how much your mpg has improved over your previous car. For example I used to drive a 06 Civic coupe and averaged 33mpg now in my Insight II I average 50.

I do just a bit better than double the MPG of my previous vehicle - 40 MPG average vs. 19 and change. Do miss the cargo room of the old 'butch wagon' at times, though.

HybridVue 06-05-2009 08:02 AM

Zipo
But I went from a 1995 Saturn SL2 sports coupe to a 2007 Saturn Vue Hybrid.
My MPGs stayed the same

However, I can now carry two bikes inside along with our luggage when we travel. I also can transport 5 adults easily. So while MPG improvement is one factor - the quality of life is also another.

Whiterook 06-15-2009 11:01 AM

1999 Ford Taurus w/V6 - approx. 23.3mpg
2006 Toyota Prius - approx. 56.5mpg average.
Approximately +142% improvement.

basjoos 06-30-2009 05:31 PM

I didn't buy a hybrid. but I did improve my mileage considerably by extensively modifying my existing non-hybrid car. I used to get a tank average of around 47mpg in my 92 Civic hatch in mostly highway driving, but since I aeromodded it for about $400 in materials (much cheaper than buying a hybrid), its been tank averaging around 68mpg. I'm still waiting for a 4 seat hybrid to be introduced that can get the 70-80mpg I average on interstate travel while driving at the posted speed limit.

Pravus Prime 07-02-2009 03:12 PM

I went from a 1995 Ford 4WD Explorer Sport Trac (which meant two doors at the time, not the bizarre SUV/Pickup mix) to a 2006 Ford 4WD Escape Hybrid. Which meant it got slightly smaller, added two doors, increased the interior space, and an average gain of 22.1 MPG for a 284% improvement.

sward 07-22-2009 05:10 AM

Old car: '93 Mazda MX6 (2.5L V6): 22 mpg overall, 27 mpg best tank.
New car: '07 Nissan Altima Hybrid (2.5L I4): 36 mpg overall, 43 mpg best tank.

Improved by 62% overall. Best tank was 60% better than the old car's best, and 95% better than the old average.

czz 08-16-2009 05:16 PM

My old car a 1997 Chev Cavalier convertible got a respectable 29MPG, but I chose something a bit more innovative. I got a Honda Accord Hybrid (HAH) two weeks ago.

My overall mileage around town is 26mpg. On the highway... at a steady 70mph, was 40/41, but a more realistic 38mpg would be more likely.

So far, I love the HAH. So well put together. It is a bit 'clunky' in the exchange between the gas/electric, but I am quite willing to put up with that for everything else the car IS!

trevman2 08-21-2009 09:55 AM

I had a 2005 Civic 2 dr LX and averaged about 35mpg. I bought a 2008 Civic Hybrid and average almost 50mpg. I did some math and I have saved $500 in fuel so far with 25K miles on the car in almost 9 months. I will put another 12K miles on the car before my first year of driving is up and I should have a fuel savings around $750; basically three car payments for me.