Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Fuel Economy & Emissions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/)
-   -   How much would lighter wheels help? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/how-much-would-lighter-wheels-help-10745/)

mitsuman47 10-28-2006 02:26 PM

How much would lighter wheels help?

I have a 2005 civic non-hybrid. I usually get ~42 mpg. Best is 47. My stock wheels are a beefy 18 lbs each. Would the cost to benefit ratio be in my favor if I got wheels that were 12 lbs each?

mitsuman47 10-29-2006 01:45 PM

Re: How much would lighter wheels help?

Sorry, I guess I should mention that I can get the wheels for ~250/set. Thanks for any help.

noflash 10-29-2006 07:48 PM

I read once that for every pound of unspring weight that is removed, it the equivalent of removing seven pounds of cargo from your car. This is not an exact science and I think may apply more to larger cars with larger wheels, but...

Six pounds per wheel times 7 is almost the equivalent of removing 100 lbs. I'd say that's worth 3 mpg easy.

$250 is cheap. If the quality of the wheel is good, I say go for it.

Double-Trinity 11-07-2006 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by noflash
I read once that for every pound of unspring weight that is removed, it the equivalent of removing seven pounds of cargo from your car. This is not an exact science and I think may apply more to larger cars with larger wheels, but...

Well, one reason why the weight of the wheels on the car is more significant than simple weight in the vehicle is becasue of rotational inertia, but this is less significant than most people would expect - mass located on the outside edge of a tread must both rotate (at the same speed as the forward motion of the car, assuming the tires don't slip) and move with the car. Every pound that happens to be located on the tread of the tires will thus act like two pounds in the car. Every pound in the wheel will act more like about one and a half pounds in the car.

Also note that this is only true under acceleration. Lifting a pound in the wheels uphill at steady speed is no different than lifting a pound in the car uphill.

A more significant benefit from lighter wheels however comes from reducing unspruing weight, which will produce a softer ride, as not as much force will be transmitted into the suspension over bumps. Improved ride would be an advantage to consider though. On rough terrain, this may save a bit of energy as well, as less will be dissipated in the suspension, but this won't make much difference on smooth roads.

However, I would wager that they way that they achieve such a low weight is by using thin spokes. Aerodynamic turbulence caused by a mostly open wheel will likely offset any advantage from the reduced weight.

Six pounds per wheel times 7 is almost the equivalent of removing 100 lbs. I'd say that's worth 3 mpg easy.
That sounds like way too much much. I don't see nearly that much of a drop in mileage even carrying a 160+lb passenger over hilly terrain.

$250 is cheap. If the quality of the wheel is good, I say go for it.
I would say go for it if you like the style of the wheel, that's a great price to achieve a custom look and probably improve your vehicle's handling as well.

noflash 11-07-2006 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Double-Trinity
A more significant benefit from lighter wheels however comes from reducing unspruing weight, which will produce a softer ride, as not as much force will be transmitted into the suspension over bumps. Improved ride would be an advantage to consider though. On rough terrain, this may save a bit of energy as well, as less will be dissipated in the suspension, but this won't make much difference on smooth roads.

Reducing upsprung weigh improves acceleration, braking, and handling. It does not improve ride quality. That is the only negative. Heavier wheels soak up the impact more.

Originally Posted by Double-Trinity
However, I would wager that they way that they achieve such a low weight is by using thin spokes. Aerodynamic turbulence caused by a mostly open wheel will likely offset any advantage from the reduced weight.

The Prius has thin spokes and does just fine.

banadictaustin 07-02-2012 10:54 AM

There are many types of lightweight wheels out there, Most people prefer this. I truly feel that lightweight wheels are an incredible upgrade, This makes it less likely for your brakes to fail due to overheating.

hadriya9091 01-28-2013 09:04 PM

In my point of view it's most ideal decision and I really appreciate this because now a days hybrids improve fuel economy it is the most advantage of this. When you plan to buy your first hybrid than Toyota prius is the best option now a days.