Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Fuel Economy & Emissions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/)
-   -   How your nonHybrid stacks up to NonHyperMilers (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/how-your-nonhybrid-stacks-up-nonhypermilers-4091/)

Dan 10-11-2005 01:03 PM

How your nonHybrid stacks up to NonHyperMilers

I recently got a request to talk about the MyMPG database after I shamelessly bragged about my sig :embarass: . At the risk of blasphemy, here goes.

If you drive a non-hybrid and you want to compare your mileage to other drivers, FIRST try this google search phrase (replacing Odyssey with your model):

site:greenhybrid.com inurl:compare/mileage/car Odyssey
It may take the spiders a while to get to your entry, but after a few months it should pop in.

Now you know what the HyperMilers (or at least FE concience drivers) get. To check agianst "the rest" of the world, you can check out the EPA's MyMPG site. Simply sign up and start recording. The EPA's site doesn't compare to GreenHybrid ;) but it does have one cool feature. When you add your make/model it will tell you what the EPA mpg was for that make/model. This saved me some research when trying to determine what numbers I had to beat. On the downside, they only update thier database once or twice a week, so it takes forever for your stuff to show up. If your only going to use one, use GreenHybrid. If you don't mind double posting, use both as I do.

Now on to the sig. I know the MX-6 doesn't link yet, thats because, since I changed my driving habits, I've yet to fill it up. 425 mi and counting (currently reads quarter tank). So since no one has reported the MX-6 in the MyMPG database yet, it doesn't show up (soon to be rectified). If I misenterpreted tbaleno's question and it was simply about the vB code, here it is in it's entierty. I've formatted it so you'll have to take out the line breaks to make it work
HTML Code:

[url=https://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/mileage/car/1396.html]
  [img]
      https://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/mileage/car/1396/signature.png
  [/img]
[/url]
[url=https://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/mileage/car/1460.html]
  [img]
      https://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/mileage/car/1460/signature.png
  [/img]
[/url]

[B]
  Dan
[/B]
 - <
[url=http://ScreamingMonkeys.blogspot.com]
[/url]
>
  -  Compare  to -
[U]
  [B]
      [COLOR=yellowgreen]
        '96 MX-6
      [/COLOR]
  [/B]
[/U]
 - & -
[url=http://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG.do?action=mpgData&vehicleID=18028&details=on&browser=true]
  [B]
      [COLOR=orange]
        '02 Odyssey
      [/COLOR]
  [/B]
[/URL]
 @ EPA's
[url=http://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG.do?action=garage]
  [COLOR=BLACK]
      MyMPG
  [/COLOR]
[/url]
 database

tbaleno 10-11-2005 01:13 PM

Re: How your nonHybrid stacks up to NonHyperMilers

Thats pretty much what I was talking about. However, your code only works for the odyssey. How would someone change the code for their vehicle?

Dan 10-11-2005 01:31 PM

Ohh... right..

The Ody is vehicleID=18028 . To find out the id of your car, you will need to either

a) browse the list of cars here and look for yours. Once you find it, simply edit the code I gave earlier replacing the Ody's vehichleID with the one for your car (found by hunting in the URL for "vehicleID=").

b) create an account in MyMPG here and add your car (don't forget to select "Yes" to share your mileage). Then it will eventually (after a week or so) show up in the browse list. Notice this is the perdicement that I'm in with my MX-6, hence the broken link.

Warning... Mileage can vary drasticly from year to year, so make sure you use the exact year/make/model for your comparisons.

xcel 10-11-2005 03:47 PM

Hi Dan:

___I know you are trying but 1 and 2 tanks respectively and they are really not worth discussing. If you want to compare your non-hybrid to a hybrid, compare against the hybrid of similar size and strive to achieve those kinds of numbers in your non-hybrid. Believe me, you will be pushing tanks and receiving FE that you never thought possible if you decide to do the same … See below as just one or two examples.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

tbaleno 10-11-2005 04:51 PM

Wayne, Give the guy a break. He is basicly promoting non-hybrid FE. Sure he only has a few tanks but he just started.

EricGo 10-11-2005 06:33 PM

Dan,

I think it is GREAT that you are trying for best FE in a non-hybrid. Keep up the good work.

I once had a fellow tell me that the FE results here are GH are irrelevant for hybrids, because they are posted by fanatics. I've always thought there was a grain of truth in this assertion; at least to the extent that people here consider their driving habits as far as FE goes. So this begs the question, do we do better in hybrids than non-hybrids, normalized to EPA ?

I know I do, but data like yours now, and in a Prius later, helps answer this question.

Dan 10-11-2005 06:42 PM

np Wayne, I'm really not overly proud of our current FE, but pleased that our efforts are making a difference. I only started this thread because of tbaleno's request that I do so.

I think your still the reigning champ. Your (by my reconning) over 30% better than EPA on the Ranger.

I'm certianly not trying to compare hybrids and non-hybrids, but can only work with what I got currently.

I was hoping to bring the concept of hypermiling to non-hybrid owners though. My prius is soon too be ordered, but It will be quite some time before Toyota graces the US shores with the Estima Hybrid. So we are stuck with the Ody (great car actually) for at least another 5 years or so.

Keeping the Ody's FE high is an ongoing struggle. My wife is the primary on it and she is really putting a lot of work into it. One of our main problems is climate. Since there are a lot of errands, and a lot of windows in it, it translates to a lot of afternoon driving w/AC. Our typical trip is:
1) Start Car, AC Full for all 3 rows of seats, go get kids.
2) Leave car running for about 5 min to allow to cool off.
3) Grab the kids, put 'em in.
4) A/C to low front, Mid-High back.
5) Drive away to our destination.
6) When we get there, if the kids are sleeping, stay in the car at idle with A/C while the other parent does the shopping or whatever. With a 1yr old and a 3yr old, turning off the car is a sure way to wake them up. We generally avoid waking cranky kids if we can help it... FE be ****ed.

Frankly I was floored that we broke the low teens at all. Our previous mesurements have been between 12-14 mpg. I don't know if we will ever really hold the twenties in Texas with kids. Maybe when they get older and can tuff it. But keeping babies cool and comfy down here is pretty hard, especially from March-September.

As far as the MX-6 goes, I think I did it about half right. I didn't get my head around pulse-and-glide with a stick until about halfway through the tank. The fuel light just came on at 430mi so by my reconning I'm at about 30-33 mpg. Definately above EPA, but by < 10%. I'll probably fill up Thur. Wed if I get impacient. We haven't forked out the clams for the scangauge yet, but it might show up in a stocking for Xmas. We'll see if we can jump our FE once we get instant feedback.

PS. on MyMPG, it lists are users who drive your make/yr/model and doesen't break it out tank-for-tank. We are row 3 from TX.

Jason 10-13-2005 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by EricGo
I once had a fellow tell me that the FE results here are GH are irrelevant for hybrids, because they are posted by fanatics. I've always thought there was a grain of truth in this assertion; at least to the extent that people here consider their driving habits as far as FE goes. So this begs the question, do we do better in hybrids than non-hybrids, normalized to EPA?

The figures are certainly relevant to anyone who's interested enough in fuel economy to be looking at the database in the first place. Perhaps those who could care less about mileage would do worse than those who use the database, but if you're concerned enough to be here at GreenHybrid, I'd say all the data here applies to people like you.

Schwa 10-13-2005 01:17 PM

Besides... a look through the database reveals plenty of cars getting pretty low mileage, so there are people posting tanks that aren't too concerned with FE, or don't know any better...

hawkGT647 10-13-2005 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by EricGo

I once had a fellow tell me that the FE results here are GH are irrelevant for hybrids, because they are posted by fanatics. I've always thought there was a grain of truth in this assertion; at least to the extent that people here consider their driving habits as far as FE goes. So this begs the question, do we do better in hybrids than non-hybrids, normalized to EPA ?

Yea, but how do you explain five Insights with 5-speeds in the database that are below 50 mpg?
These are NOT fanatics.

I think it all averages out. Still a good sample of the real world.

Regards,