Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Hybrids too expensive? Ford Focus PZEV good alternative

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 08:40 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hybrids too expensive? Ford Focus PZEV good alternative

Originally Posted by lars-ss
I have frequently seen the argument that "not everyone can afford a $23K vehicle"
Unless it's an SUV. Then, everyone can afford one.

But seriously, I think this is great news. I had a 2000 Focus (rated 33mpg, but I consistently got 31). If it had been able to do 37 (or even 35) mpg, I would've been happy with it, instead of constantly wondering what it was doing with all that gasoline.

According to this article Ford is building all the Foci in Indiana now. Unless I'm wrong, doesn't that make it the most-efficient American-built car from an American manufacturer? For that alone, I'd shake their hand.

I think 37mpg shows they've made a serious effort, and they should be encouraged for it. They've gone that extra step from SULEV-II to PZEV, and that shows they're at least willing to test out the market for cleaner vehicles. Let's hope the market rewards them.

By contrast, Toyota Yaris (40mpg) is ULEV2, Honda Fit (38mpg) is LEV2, Nissan Versa (36mpg) is ULEV2, Mazda 3 (35mpg) is SULEV2, and Chevy Aveo (37mpg) is ULEV2. (According to FuelEconomy.gov.)

Now that I have my HCH2, I wouldn't give it up, but I'm proud of Ford for making the effort. Keep it up!

Old 08-29-2006, 09:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Cleaner, but more carbon dioxide produced. Is that not the deal with higher "rated", but lower MPG cars? Pollution sucks, but I don't know about you, I'm a bit more worried about global warming than dirty air. I'm not impressed with 37 MPG, nor 38 for the Fit. The Jazz (same as Fit in Europe) can get better FE than the Fit because it has a smaller engine. Car manufacturers in the U.S. are still not selling efficient vehicles.

The fact that 37 MPG is considered good is kind of embarassing, IMO. Cars 20 years ago were getting 50 MPG, granted with much less power than today's vehicles. Hybrids should be getting upwards of 60-70 MPG. Other small cars should easily be pulling in 40-50 MPG, even without a hybrid engine. I know it's possible because my Suzuki Swift can do 50 MPG, albeit driving only 55 on the freeway (rating is something like 45 and this is 4 cylinder, the 3 cylinder is more efficient), and of course it's not as good as a hybrid in the city. I suppose with conservative driving you can do 40-45 MPG in the Focus, that's not bad by any means, certainly way better than an SUV, but it still could be better.

I think these are a great choice for those who can't afford a hybrid. But, really, I would just recommend looking for a used Geo Metro instead. Get a cheap one for $2,000. Even if you have to put $3,000 into it in repairs, you've still spent between $5,000-$10,000 less than a new car, and you have a car that gets much better gas mileage. Indeed, at least on the freeway it can give a hybrid a run for its money.

Old 08-29-2006, 11:31 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

When I was in the market for a replacement vehicle was looking for:
1. New
2. Best efficiency I could find in a 5 passenger car
3. Loaded.
So I ended up with my HCH.

I needed a new car for my long commute. Had I been a person of limited means It would have better for me to find one of these:
http://www.edmunds.com/new/pricerang...15k/index.html

But I'd also like to say that my HCH opened up a whole new way to drive.
I used to be among the worst Left lane nightmares. Had I bought anything other than my choice would no doubt still be driving completely insane.
-Steve

Old 08-31-2006, 12:53 PM

[QUOTE=lars-ss]Bob,

We would all like more carmakers to invest more into hybrids. If they don't the next best thing IMHO is to at LEAST build cars that are limiting pollution.

Well, I can't argue with that. Given Ford's track record in general, though, I will hold out find judgement for when I actually see it which I may never get to do if these cars are only marketed in CA. This info did all come from a manufacturer press release. That being said, my partner at work mentioned seeing a ford hydrogen/gas/E85 "tribrid" on the news. Anyone see that?

Old 09-02-2006, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by medicmike
I may never get to do if these cars are only marketed in CA.
CA, MA, NY, VT, and ME will have it, and it will be available in the bordering states (according to Ford's Focus site). I presume "bordering states" to be OR, NV, AZ, PA, NJ, CT, RI, and NH, since those are also the states the EPA allows other advanced-certification cars to be sold in.

Want a PZEV? All you've got to do is convince the rest of your state to sign on to California's standards.