Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Hypermiler guide

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 11:15 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Hypermiler guide

Does a hypermiler guide exist somewhere. I live in Omaha (rolling hills). I have a 15 min. commute on limit 45mph roads. In our July 100 Degree temps withough air conditioning, I still can not achieve anything better than 43-45mpg for a tank. My wife can not even do that. I feel like I am doing everything right, I even **** off other drivers with my speed limit driving. My 05HCH only has 7500 miles and I have been seeing better and better gas mileage since my purchase, but the temps have been getting hotter and hotter. I feel like I have capped off and I will never average better than 42mpg on a normal tank. I need help.

Thanks

R

Old 07-26-2005, 11:29 AM
Site Founder
Default Re: Hypermiler guide

This may be what you're looking for: https://www.greenhybrid.com/learn/ar...fficiency.html

Old 07-26-2005, 11:49 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

...any details on the pulse/glide technique and any twists on it for various vehicles? I'm familiar with P&G for swimmers and can envision what it entails, but has someone written up any specifics?

Old 07-26-2005, 12:10 PM
Site Founder

You can find description of such a technique here, though it's intended for the Prius: https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...empt.2773.html

Old 07-26-2005, 02:58 PM

gracias. should've searched a little harder.

Old 07-26-2005, 03:58 PM

Hi GoNavy:

___I am still waiting to hear back from an Escape HEV owner before I have a good feel as to what works and doesn’t in a range of hybrid and non-hybrid automobiles at a range of speeds including those already posted for the Prius I, II, HH, and RXh all the way down to the non-hybrids which I have a pretty good feel for with my own experiments late last week. I will try and come up with a better overall P&G thread sometime in the near future but Krousdb and friends are the ones who somewhat perfected the technique long before I had my shot at using it in Carl’s Prius II. With that, there are a number of other hypermiling techniques you should consider placing in the tool box for high, intermediate, and low speeds, light, intermediate, and heavy traffic, and even road conditions (lights, sign’s, obstacles, and parking lots). Once the tools have been practiced and somewhat perfected, just use the appropriate tool at the appropriate time and bingo, Extreme Hypermileage is in your immediate future

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 07-26-2005, 10:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for your help guys! I just got home off of a 120 mile round trip through my normal driving environment (actually record lows for nebraska for this time of year, 50-60 degrees tonight). I was able to average 49.5 I know its only 7-8mpg better, but for some reason, that number astounds me. Now I will have to attempt to keep it there for another 500 some miles.

Thanks a ton!

PS, my wife hates me and my new driving habits. She understands that driving at or below the speed limit really makes little differnce in the actual time of the trip, but she says it seems to drag on forever.