Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.
View Poll Results: How do you perceive the term "hypermiler?"
I perceive it as positive
65.22%
I perceive it as negative
11.59%
I perceive it as neither positive nor negative
23.19%
I can not answer because I do not know what 'hypermiler' means.
0%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

"Hypermiler" - Negative perceptions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 09:31 AM
Happy HiHy Owner
Default Re: "Hypermiler" - Negative perceptions?

Brick

Interesting thoughts...

While I percieve the term hypermiler as having a negative image, it does not affect my efforts to drive so as to get the highest mpg possible in my HiHy. I am personally satisfied I am doing my part for the environment, and applaud others who are also doing so. I am proud to tell anyone the mileage I attain (when asked about the HiHy), and also praise the vehicle when asked. While I drive to maximize mpg I am also aware, and considerate, of others with whom I share the road.

I do want to acknowledge the hypermilers (and others) that helped me get where I am today....their postings helped me understand the HiHy and techniques to achive it's potential. Some of those techniques I do not use and some I do (and they are effective). Unfortunately, now when I see certain posters, I often don't even read their input because they have "turned me off" by not sticking to the topic at hand (helping me maximize my mpg). Guess that's life........

Last edited by jajohnson; 03-21-2007 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

I consider the term Hypermiler as a positive. However, prior to finding GreenHybrid - I considered it just plain old good driving as opposed to being a Hypermiler. Driving with the flow of traffic, coasting where possible and giving every passenger a smooth ride was just basic driving principals shown to me from my Dad and my driving instructor.

I have always kept track of my gas mileage going back 15+ years. Two reasons for keeping track - #1> I was taught from my Dad, that keeping track of gas mileage would be a good gauge to see if the car is experiencing any mechanical problems. A drop off in mpg maybe the first sign of the need for a tune up or that your gas pump is leaking. (Both of which I found tracking my gas mileage over the years.) And #2> I love statistics, which maybe a little nerdy.

I am with jajohnson all the way in acknowledging the hypermilers and their posts - as I have gotten many additional tips. GreenHybrid creates an open forum to see how other owners are doing which is great.

Old 03-21-2007, 05:34 PM
G.H. Contributor
Lightbulb Re: "Hypermiler" - Negative perceptions?

Brick,

You made some very good , sound comments in your Last-Post.

Here are some thoughts from me on the Term, "Hypermiling".

I think in the true since of the word as I understand it. One has to be in the position to take their time to achieve the Classification of Hypermiler. Not to mention put up with all the Blowing of Horns, Hard-Looks, Certain Finger Gestures and the list goes on. Now if you have the time or should I say be willing to take what ever time it takes to get to your destination. As well as changing your route so you can drive and uttilize the Hypermiling Methods. Once again you need more time to get to where you are going. Now where is this headed I bet everyone is thinking.

Right here folks.

I will speak for myself and No-One-Else. I get up at 5:30 AM to go to work and leave work at 6:00 PM hopefully. Monday through Friday. Saturday I get up at 6:30 AM and leave work at 2:00 PM hopefully. Now add to that the time it takes for me to get back to my home. If I am Lucky that is another 30-Minutes. So that gives me 13 Hrs. from getting up to getting back home. Now add to that Dinner-Shower-Relax Time, {2.5 Hrs. which is 9:00 PM. That gives me 8.5 Hrs. to wake up and do it all over again.

So my comment here is personally I am not going to adjust anything in my route to work or home, drive slower, or anything else to get Greater-FE. As far as I am concerned I have just 2.5 Hrs. with my Wife and Home so I am not willing to do anything in my driving Habits to slow me down where I will have even less time at home.

So I will have to say in my given situation "Hypermiling" would be a {Negative}.

I will add this comment though. If I did not care anything about FE or the Environment I would not be driving a 2006 HCH II and would have not been one of the 1st people to have purchased a 2003 HCH I when they were introduced. So Yes I care but there is a Limit to my time and therefore in this given situation I once again will say it is a "Negative".

Have a nice day.

Brick, you did want different opinions voiced here on this Thread, Right? So this is just to say what will work for some may not for others given their situations.

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 03-21-2007 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:03 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
Brick, you did want different opinions voiced here on this Thread, Right?
Yes, absolutely! Thanks for giving us your take on it.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:12 PM
Banned

Tiger,

I hear you on time with your wife and long hours.

Even in your situation, I've found it's possible to still improve fuel economy while driving faster. Just make the acceleration to cruise speed moderate and maintain speed. Reduce acclerations, braking, lane changes - keep a high cruise.

You know I'm definitely not on your case while saying you still have some options, Terry.

Old 03-21-2007, 08:09 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

What I'm surprised at is all the opinions that hypermiling = illegal, slow, grandma, trouble making bottle necker, road rage generating - irritant. Dangerous.

Granted that last sentence may be a bit strong: and since we all break traffic laws, for a good kick in the pants I'll replace illegal for hyper illegal.

During summer hours I really stretch it over 65MPG, and if lucky over 70. During winter months I just try and maintain over 60 if possible. I'm operating with good margin of safety: I don't draft trucks or other major controversial techniques. I also travel non rush hour traffic which helps immensely.

Surely you'll find me traveling under the speed limit in the far right lane which isn't a problem. Yes people do occasionally get behind but either hang there for miles or go around. If they want to go super-speed limit the Right lane is not the place, just as below the limit is not for the Left lanes.

The only time I saw real-to-life road rage is when I had a GH sticker on my rear bumper that said "I get 65MPG...YOU?" That was two days of sheer hell and concern for my life so I removed it. Immediately went back to normal, calm driving.

I travel 50 miles twice a day. These are my travel times:
45 Minute Driving as I used to: Maniac driving 85-90MPH
55 Minute Driving along with traffic
60 Minute Driving with moderate efficiency techniques
65 Minute Moderate Hypermiling
70 Minute "Super" hypermiling

So why do I hypermile or "Super" hypermile?
1. Savings to the tune of more than $1,000 per year over the same model average.
2. Save wear & tear on the car which I hope to keep in excess of 350,000 miles over 10 years.
3. Eliminate boredom in my long ride

Obviously it's worth a few extra minutes for me personally while not worth it for others.
That's fine. But it's not correct for those who aren't hypermiling to endorse my red statement.

I used to post the results of my efforts here at Green Hybrid. I haven't posted my numbers here for over a year because people don't want to see it. High number achievement equals a "Holier than Thou" attitude which I'm avoiding.

But I will say that there was a time here at Green Hybrid when driving for efficiency was both applauded and encouraged.
These days it is dangerous, wasteful and annoying.
My signiture used to contain a dash photo of my best efficiency.
I've removed the photo. I'm no longer smug.

Last edited by Hot_Georgia_2004; 03-22-2007 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Enhancement
Old 03-21-2007, 08:39 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Soon, with the new EPA numbers, the existing hypermiler test will be "dumbed down" to "no driver left behind." The last time I checked only two or three won't make hypermiler status in the Prius I database. Instead of being a threshold of excellence, the new EPA numbers will lose any positive connotation and that will be a shame.
Agreed. That's why IMO when those new numbers come out the "hypermiler" MPG threshold should be raised to EPA+10% and the distance threshold raised to at least 5000 miles (10,000 may be better).

Old 03-21-2007, 10:16 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by tanstaafl14
Agreed. That's why IMO when those new numbers come out the "hypermiler" MPG threshold should be raised to EPA+10% and the distance threshold raised to at least 5000 miles (10,000 may be better).
I have no problem with the EPA+10% but I think it should show some commitment to GreenHybrid with least 10 database entries over a two month interval. I'm not fond of the 'hit-and-run' mileage entries.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 03-22-2007 at 06:15 AM.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Originally Posted by brick
Anyway, what I've started to wonder is whether or not this black-and-white perception of the issue has impacted how people drive their vehicles. I wonder if people who dont want to resort to extremes have dismissed the subject completely for fear that they will either become or be associated with the people (I would assert that there are very few of them) who are close to the fringe. Am I inventing this scenario or do you all think that this could be the case?
I think you are definately on to something. Coming on too strong turns people off. It seems I've been guilty of this in the past. Anybody who's attitude is: "My way or the highway" turns me off. I'm trying to be more mellow about the whole thing from now on.

Last edited by lakedude; 03-21-2007 at 11:03 PM.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:46 AM
no more oil

My take on 'hypermiling' is based on using my common sense reading these posts.

There is nothing wrong with boosting your mileage, if its a normal course of action, that most others can follow without altering their vehicle or drastically altering their driving habits.

It was a long time ago now, but I have heard of using ice and cold towels instead of AC. One high profile member pushed his car into his parking space, so that he didnt have to accellerate into it . Another uses nitrogen in the tires and others put the car in neutral and coast.

Easiest one of all is to live in an area akin to going up and down mount everet, so you can literally coast 1/2 the time going down hill. For the majority of us who drive on flat surfaces, it cannot be practical.

Why do people do this? Self importance, ego , and whatnot. The whole point to 'hypermiling' is to run back to this blogg and post your latest trumped up mileage to GLOAT. I have always wondered why we dont just DRIVE THE **** CAR and get on with our lives.

Quick Reply: "Hypermiler" - Negative perceptions?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands