Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.
View Poll Results: How do you perceive the term "hypermiler?"
I perceive it as positive
65.22%
I perceive it as negative
11.59%
I perceive it as neither positive nor negative
23.19%
I can not answer because I do not know what 'hypermiler' means.
0%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

"Hypermiler" - Negative perceptions?

Old 03-22-2007, 11:34 AM
Engineering first
Default Re: "Hypermiler" - Negative perceptions?

Originally Posted by tomdavie
. . .
There is nothing wrong with boosting your mileage, if its a normal course of action, that most others can follow without altering their vehicle or drastically altering their driving habits.

It was a long time ago now, but I have heard of using ice and cold towels instead of AC. One high profile member pushed his car into his parking space, so that he didnt have to accellerate into it . Another uses nitrogen in the tires and others put the car in neutral and coast.
. . .
Why do people do this? Self importance, ego , and whatnot. The whole point to 'hypermiling' is to run back to this blogg and post your latest trumped up mileage to GLOAT. . . .
I'd like to suggest that our pre-hybrid driving habits were driven by the pre-hybrid technology. We got better fuel economy at highway speeds so we chose highway routes even though it was longer over a shorter route that had slower speeds. We were conditioned to gas-only driving techniques because everything was gas. But now we have options that were not here before such as the ability to travel on battery power.

Now on the face of it "ice and cold towels . . . pushing his car . . . nitrogen in the tires . . . neutral and coast" reads like a series of kludges but there are serious engineering issues behind each one:
  • "ice and cold towels" - why aren't we using waste tail-pipe heat for AC?
  • "pushing his car" - why doesn't he have an electric vehicle mode switch?
  • "nitrogen in the tires" - why isn't this cheap gas universally available for all tires instead of the $.50, 2-minute pumps?
  • "neutral and cost" - why doesn't the vehicle do this automaticly?
Those kludges are calls for vehicle improvements, both business and engineering opportunities. In fact, the loss of Prius performance in the winter led to a thermistor hack that gives spring-summer MPG when temperatures are 50F and below. It really is a question of understanding when the technology needs to be improved.

I don't know how to answer "GLOAT" except to suggest that discussing what is going on is, at least on my part, a sincere interest in the physics and engineering. As far as I'm concerned, when someone brings "here is how I did it" with facts and data, I'm quite interested and begin figuring out how to automate it.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 03-23-2007 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:09 PM
Banned

Why do people do this? Self importance, ego , and whatnot. The whole point to 'hypermiling' is to run back to this blogg and post your latest trumped up mileage to GLOAT.
Did you note that I hardly have entries in the GH database and that Hot Georgia has not lately? I've never heard self-improvement blasted as egotism like this in my life. We (and others) have repeatly said hypermiling is not a take it or leave it proposition - many do just some of these things. I drove a work buddy to lunch and he was not even aware of a couple of hypermiling things slipped into the ride.

Vents like the above tend to confirm my suspicion that some desire to say all hypermilers do the most objectionable things all the time. Five members will say they stay in the rightmost lane and go out of their way to let others pass, yet a few persist to post about going 50 in the passing or HOV lane, etc, etc. For some, hypermiling is not to discuss, but to discredit and demonize because they simply can't stand it. I also suspect some of these members may be projecting dubious motives away from them.

In a perfect world, we would all be driving EVs powered off the grid with 100% renewable energy. In this world, an attentive driver cutting their ignition an coasting in neutral 10 seconds gets far more wrath than a driver phoning during rush hour, even changing lanes.

I have always wondered why we dont just DRIVE THE **** CAR and get on with our lives.
I'd bet that many of us have jobs our supervisor does not tell us to just do the job, but how to do it, esp. the technical fields. Any tool is more effective in the hands of someone honing their skills. Even if it's sports, we admire the cool, accurate player that has the higher scoring percentage. I see drivers that can easily be more focused (i.e. distracted).

Once again, this is drifting from discussion to attack. {sigh}

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 03-22-2007 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:02 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004
What I'm surprised at is all the opinions that hypermiling = illegal, slow, grandma, trouble making bottle necker, road rage generating - irritant. Dangerous.

Granted that last sentence may be a bit strong: and since we all break traffic laws, for a good kick in the pants I'll replace illegal for hyper illegal.

During summer hours I really stretch it over 65MPG, and if lucky over 70. During winter months I just try and maintain over 60 if possible. I'm operating with good margin of safety: I don't draft trucks or other major controversial techniques. I also travel non rush hour traffic which helps immensely.

Surely you'll find me traveling under the speed limit in the far right lane which isn't a problem. Yes people do occasionally get behind but either hang there for miles or go around. If they want to go super-speed limit the Right lane is not the place, just as below the limit is not for the Left lanes.

The only time I saw real-to-life road rage is when I had a GH sticker on my rear bumper that said "I get 65MPG...YOU?" That was two days of sheer hell and concern for my life so I removed it. Immediately went back to normal, calm driving.

I travel 50 miles twice a day. These are my travel times:
45 Minute Driving as I used to: Maniac driving 85-90MPH
55 Minute Driving along with traffic
60 Minute Driving with moderate efficiency techniques
65 Minute Moderate Hypermiling
70 Minute "Super" hypermiling

So why do I hypermile or "Super" hypermile?
1. Savings to the tune of more than $1,000 per year over the same model average.
2. Save wear & tear on the car which I hope to keep in excess of 350,000 miles over 10 years.
3. Eliminate boredom in my long ride

Obviously it's worth a few extra minutes for me personally while not worth it for others.
That's fine. But it's not correct for those who aren't hypermiling to endorse my red statement.

I used to post the results of my efforts here at Green Hybrid. I haven't posted my numbers here for over a year because people don't want to see it. High number achievement equals a "Holier than Thou" attitude which I'm avoiding.

But I will say that there was a time here at Green Hybrid when driving for efficiency was both applauded and encouraged.
These days it is dangerous, wasteful and annoying.
My signiture used to contain a dash photo of my best efficiency.
I've removed the photo. I'm no longer smug.
Sorry to hear you feel that posting your achievements is considered "Holier than Thou". No reason you should feel this way, in my opinion. You should be proud of your achievements. I take no offense to "Hypermiling" or altering your driving techniques to improve you MPG. Everyone is free to chose how for themselves what the best way to drive their vehicle is.

I don't find Hypermiling negative as much as I find poor driving habits negative. Not that Hypermiling = poor driving habits. I dislike all bad driving habit equally. I dislike the guy who gets on my bumper wanting to do 90 mph just as much as the person who sits in the passing lane doing 50 with no around for miles.

I think you should continue to post you numbers and be proud of them. For those who can't handle it, it's their issue. NOT YOURS. I think rather than people concentrating on the word "Hypermiler" and then attaching their own definition, we should concentrate more on individual driving techniques and discuss them on an individual basis.

Old 03-22-2007, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
I'd bet that many of us have jobs our supervisor does not tell us to just do the job, but how to do it, esp. the technical fields. {sigh}
Not if he is worth a darn. Last time I had a manager tell me not only what to do, but HOW to do it, promptly got told were to stick it.

Old 03-22-2007, 01:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chilly
Sorry to hear you feel that posting your achievements is considered "Holier than Thou". No reason you should feel this way, in my opinion. You should be proud of your achievements. I take no offense to "Hypermiling" or altering your driving techniques to improve you MPG. Everyone is free to chose how for themselves what the best way to drive their vehicle is.

I don't find Hypermiling negative as much as I find poor driving habits negative. Not that Hypermiling = poor driving habits. I dislike all bad driving habit equally. I dislike the guy who gets on my bumper wanting to do 90 mph just as much as the person who sits in the passing lane doing 50 with no around for miles.

I think you should continue to post you numbers and be proud of them. For those who can't handle it, it's their issue. NOT YOURS. I think rather than people concentrating on the word "Hypermiler" and then attaching their own definition, we should concentrate more on individual driving techniques and discuss them on an individual basis.
That was more than a fair statement, Chilly.

Old 03-22-2007, 01:17 PM
Banned

Not if he is worth a darn. Last time I had a manager tell me not only what to do, but HOW to do it, promptly got told were to stick it.
I'm saying writing a program, a webpage is not enough, it must run well. Many of us have quality control - standards.

Tom Brady is a great quarterback. He does not just throw the darn ball. If he can't get one of his guys to complete it, he at least makes sure the other guys don't.

Old 03-22-2007, 01:47 PM

I think rather than people concentrating on the word "Hypermiler" and then attaching their own definition, we should concentrate more on individual driving techniques and discuss them on an individual basis.
That's a valid point, but I purposefully tried to steer this thread away from it. The reason is that we've beaten a lot of the tactics to death, and plenty of arguments plus locked & deleted threads have come of it. We know that some people take their search for efficiency pretty darned seriously and we know that some people have made statements to the effect that they should be banned from the roads. No need to do that again.

What I had hoped to accomplish is an exploration of the middle ground. So far it seems like there's quite a bit of it. I didn't realize that to begin with, which is why I started by asking about the word.

Old 03-22-2007, 01:55 PM
Vegetarian

I got a hybrid because the car I had before got good gas mileage and I didn't want to go the wrong direction. If I was getting a new car anyway why shouldn't I get one that gets even better gas mileage? I think it's the same with hypermiling, I've got this great car that obviously has potential, why shouldn't I try a little? I don't feel put down by those that get better gas mileage than I do because I know I'm doing well for my conditions and what techniques I'm willing to do. I admire the top hypermilers. For example, Hot Georgia... I'm just really impressed that his average is more than my best tank ever. I don't know how he does it with a CVT, it's the same car I have.
It makes me sad to hear that other people think that I/we only hypermile to brag about it. To me hypermiling is not so much about me, but about my car and what it is capable of. If I could I'd have everyone else get as good or better mileage than me. We're supposed to be a hybrid family here. I think we should all be cheering for each other.

Old 03-22-2007, 02:06 PM
Dan
MPG Centurion

Here's a take I haven't seen yet (skimmed the posts I'm afraid). I find others MPG data informative without being either smug or inflammatory. I've lurked on this forum long before I bought a hybrid, and used the data to help me understand what cars to get.

I saw the uber-hyper-miler as the upper limit of what the various machines were capable of. I read the techniques to learn what I would and wouldn't be comfortable with. I never felt shamed or berated for having either a non-hybrid, or posting super low numbers.

The point is that I knew I would be getting a new car around now, and most every person/dealer said theirs was the best. The statistical data (even some entries that may have been questionable) helped me figure out what to buy and how to drive it.

As far as what I think about those who's numbers are outside of the curve, I chalk it up to competition. I think in the last 5 years competition has gotten a real bad rap. When I went to enroll my kid in soccer the website made a big point about stressing that "All players win", "We don't keep score". In my opinion, it defeats part of the point of enrolling kids in sports. Competition is good, it drives improvement. Loosing is good, it teaches you what not to do. Winning is good, it motivates and focuses effort.

I grew up with a lot of sports. In all my events my times were always posted. Maybe that's why I'm a bit more thick-skinned than others as far as competition goes.

As far as safety goes, I think safety has everything to do what whos doing what and not so much on what they are doing. When I was in my teens (no dig on teens here) I drove like sh*t. Raced every car I came near, and darn near killed myself and everyone around me. If I tried to hypermile back then, I would have been a menace because _I_ was unsafe, and anything I did, I did unsafely. Now that I'm older and fathom the concept of mortality, most everything I do, I do safely.

You can kill people driving fast, you can kill them driving slow. Most of the time reckless things are done by reckless people. It's hard to paint someone as unsafe because they get 150 MPG. For all we know they work at Area 51 and drive across 75 miles of salt flats to get to work.

Last point is curtious . Again I think it depends on the person driving. You can be rude driving fast or slow, really just depends on how much the driver cares. You got a guy who doesn't care, driving fast, he's gonna seem really rude. Same goes driving slow.

Well anyway, thats my 2 cents... or buck fifty...

Old 03-22-2007, 03:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I think the person who is getting......say 40MPG in their HCH who takes notice of it and tries different things- little things to bring that up only a notch or two is just as "good" as someone who alread achieves high efficiency. It comes down to personal improvement.

On one hand people generally try to save money on home utility bills by lowering the thermostat for winter months while raising for the summer. If they notice a faucet dripping they'll have it fixed. Turning unused lights or applinaces off is another common practice.
It also carries a sense of inconvenience to wear heavier clothing inside for winter months, frustration and time to go behind yourself, spouce and kids to turn that unused electrical device or dripping faucet off. (The list goes on)

My home is a "Good sense" home.
It certainly doesn't mean the house does it all and we normally do our part to further reduce fuel consumption/bills. To do so is widely accepted as common sense.

Everyone has their reasons for their own kind of driving but I don't understand why the same common sense doesn't apply to vehicles.
My modern home is more efficient compared to one a few years older. My HCH is more efficient than an EX model.
It makes common sense for me to do my own part to extend the savings and take advantage of what I have.

Everyone doesn't share the logic.
So many things in the world I'll never understand anyway.
I know most drivers just "drive their cars" and not consern themselves with it. I'm OK with that too, but I'd hope they wouldn't throw stones (Or think less of) the few of us who do.

Since the price of gas have doubled since I got my car, it is reasonable to think it might be $5/g three years from now. I think it is good to know how to effectively stretch it than not. Someday I hope to learn and apply it regarding my home as well. That would be a good thing to know in case of an energy crunch.

Last edited by Hot_Georgia_2004; 03-22-2007 at 03:27 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Hypermiler" - Negative perceptions?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands