Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Fuel Economy & Emissions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/)
-   -   Hypermilers in encyclopedia (wiki). (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/hypermilers-encyclopedia-wiki-3718/)

Dan 09-18-2005 06:22 PM

Hypermilers in encyclopedia (wiki).

I started reading about hypermilers last night and thought I'd take a shortcut and just read up on what WikipediA said about it.... well it didn't. So (since it is wikipedia), I tried to rectify that.

So hypermilers, please check my work and expand on it.

-Dan <11011011>

xcel 09-18-2005 09:26 PM

Re: Hypermilers in encyclopedia (wiki).

Hi Dan:

___I googled the term a few years ago since I was using it for my own purposes here. Apparently it was coined first by someone over at C&D back in 2002 IIRC but there definition most certainly did not fit what I was using it for?

___You might consider not mixing derbies, optimized routes, competitions, or the various techniques (FAS, P&G, Rabbit timing, Ball - in - the - Bowl, etc.) to get you there in the definition. You do not need any of these to hypermile as it is a day to day activity and anyone can achieve it with a lighter foot then they may have used in the past. Extreme Hypermiling may include all of the above but even Valedictorian Hypermilers run their commutes using all the tricks day in and day out, not just in a derby or competition … Then again, hypermiling is a competition between ones self and his or her automobile, the elements, and others and their automobiles most of the time :D

Other cars such as the Honda Civic Hybrid have also done very well.

___The doing well part ... The HCH, Prius II, and Insight have all seen better then 115 mpg so adding the HCH as an afterthought would be a disservice to HCH owners everywhere imho :( Including a Geo Metro into the mix was a mistake as well. I doubt anyone has seen beyond 75 mpg over a tank in one of those whereas the 3 hybrid’s named above have seen beyond that. I think I remember one of our esteemed members nailing a 78 mpg tank in a CRX-HF or something similar 10 or 15 years ago? Finding out who and the actual maximum range/FE of the Geo Metro (the XFI I think was the high mileage one?) would make for a good research project though.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Dan 09-19-2005 09:59 AM

Took the suggesting on the HCH to heart....

The Metro figure I heard was an 1985 metro getting 89 MPG. I thought it interesting. I'll check my source and verify that.

-Dan

Dan 09-19-2005 10:02 AM

Ahh dyslexia strikes agian. Read 58MPG as 85MPG. Here's my source on the 58MPG:

http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=158962&cid=13313963

xcel 09-19-2005 04:28 PM

Hi Dan:

___You are getting closer …

___Remember that achieving > 100 mpg over a tank should not/does not have to be used in the same breath as derbies or competitions. The Insight 5-speed has provided maybe 10 - 20 people on the planet that kind of FE just driving back and forth to work. I know 3 of these individuals personally ;) The Prius and HCH have allowed high 70 to the mid 80’s on route to somewhere or back and forth to work so hypermiling is not just an event based activity in the least! Extreme Hypermiling on the other hand is intended for an event to show what an automobile is worth in the FE department. All the stops are pulled for this one goal in mind. The following are good examples …

Prius II - 100 + MPG Marathon Attempt - Live Updates ...

Tbaleno takes the Gloves Off …

The Attempt …

Origin: The website entitled Greenhybrid.com is where it was first used as it is known today <-- I think this is correct??? Other events in which hand built specialty but non-roadworthy machines are used can and have achieved > the equivalent of 10,000 mpg over a very short road course.

Techniques: FAS, D-FAS, P&G, DWL, DWB, BitB, Rabbit Timing, General Timing, Potential Parking, Face Out, 5 Drafts, Surroundings Aware, and Momentum Carry are a few of the techniques used today.

Cars was nicely done :D

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

blueskies 10-08-2005 12:48 PM

I added a section about autostop. Good job on creating it!

Originally Posted by Dan
I started reading about hypermilers last night and thought I'd take a shortcut and just read up on what WikipediA said about it.... well it didn't. So (since it is wikipedia), I tried to rectify that.

So hypermilers, please check my work and expand on it.

-Dan <11011011>