Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Fuel Economy & Emissions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/)
-   -   Hypermilers - Post SAFE High FE Driving Tips (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/hypermilers-post-safe-high-fe-driving-tips-7702/)

Hot_Georgia_2004 06-09-2006 02:58 PM

Re: Hypermilers - Post SAFE High FE Driving Tips

I could probably draft within a reasonable margin of safety, but that won't stop the occasional sand, rocks and broken airborn car parts from damaging the front of my car.

ppgroup 06-11-2006 02:24 PM

In my opinion, you cannot draft with any reasonable safety, no matter what your reflexes are.

And certainly, the small $$$$ dollar savings aren't worth the risk. Even if you were able to drive 100 miles (or hundreds) this way and consume no fuel at all, you would only save about 2 gallons of gas. Do the math. Isn't your life worth more than a couple of gallons of gas?

Getting high FE is fun, but not worth risking your life over. If you can't afford the gas, take the bus!

SretiCentV 06-11-2006 02:44 PM

I'm really enjoying these responses. I wasn't specific enough so people made assumptions and even gave me scenarios that I'll never see. Not that I need validation from anyone, but here's clarification on how *I* justify my actions.

-I only do it when I drive alone so I'm not endangering anyone's family.
-I didn't know an exploding tire would cause the truck to come to an immediate stop, thanks for the info.
-Road rebris isn't a factor where I drive. Its rush hour and theres tightly packed traffic going 55-65 mph. Any road debris would quickly cause a traffic jam, thus negating that argument.
-I don't get distracted.
-I've had many a truck (I only draft off of big 18 wheelers, nothing smaller) absolutely slam their brakes right in front of me. I'm not a physicist but the amount of time it takes an 18 wheeler to stop vs a honda insight gives me ample time to also slam the brakes. Generally I end up further behind them than I was.

Also, thanks for using the word stupid. I might've considered your argument otherwise.

GeekGal 06-11-2006 04:00 PM

{shrug}

Mr. Kite 06-11-2006 04:45 PM

I guess my common sense reasoning should only be reserved for average people. I need new rules for those with extensive video game experience.

Originally Posted by SretiCentV
Also, thanks for using the word stupid. I might've considered your argument otherwise.

I think you need to recheck my post. Now that the unmentionable word is no longer there, you can consider my argument. :D

brick 06-11-2006 05:16 PM

On the topic of extremely safe, high FE driving tips:

I managed a 42.2mpg, 108 mile highway segment in the Accord this weekend using nothing but cruise control set to 60-65mph. The only "trick" I used was to shift into neutral (it's a manual transmission) on down-hill runs that were sufficiently steep to maintain my speed. The return trip was 39.7mpg using the same technique but using the a/c periodicaly.

That's about as safe as you can get without staying home, and results in some of the highest numbers I've seen in this vehicle.

ppgroup 06-11-2006 06:33 PM

Obviously, starting from a stop gives the lowest FE in any car.

With our '06 Prius, I accelerate gently under battery power until the gas engine comes on, usually around 10mph (with the air on), higher with the air off. Then I accelerate moderately (about 1/2 throttle or more) until about 35mph (I have found the mpg reading is about the same whether you accelerate gently or moderatly once the engine comes on as the car really only used the electric motor to drive the car until above 35-40mph). I then accelerate gently to my cruising speed.

Following this method of acceleration, I find I get the same or better FE than if I drive 'granny' style all the time. I drove the car this weekend for about 30 miles and averaged over 47mpg with the air on and a mix of 90% city, 10% highway). (I use many of the techniques listed here EXCEPT DRAFTING).

Has anyone had similar experiences?

kamsmart 06-13-2006 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by ElanC
Think carefully about this one. The real goal is to burn less gas, not to maximize MPG. Let's say, for example, you could drive 10 miles to get somewhere with 45 MPG, or you could drive 11 miles to get to the same place while getting 47 MPG. Which would be the better route? The 11 mile route is the wrong answer.

I second this .. sometimes, the hypermilers, lose the track of their original quest and get driven into the quest for the highest MPG, which is not really the final aim. The final aim i to get around the places and live your life while burning the least amount of gas ...

Thanks, Elan!

Orcrone 06-14-2006 11:08 AM

Great thread.

Regarding tire pressure. Remember that tire pressure varies based on the temperature. So be careful if you're setting your tire pressure close to or at the maximum. If tomorrow (or a month later) it's 30 degrees warmer your tire pressure may be too high.

As for me I just got my TCH on Friday. I love the instantaneous MPG gauge in the car. Forces me to become more aware of what saves gas and what sucks gas. I'm learning to anticipate lights and let the car coast more. That helps me avoid accelerating/decelerating. I've also found how speed effects the mileage. I may try upping the pressure in the tires. However, I'll keep using the A/C in hot weather.;)

kamsmart 06-15-2006 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by ppgroup
Obviously, starting from a stop gives the lowest FE in any car.

With our '06 Prius, I accelerate gently under battery power until the gas engine comes on, usually around 10mph (with the air on), higher with the air off. Then I accelerate moderately (about 1/2 throttle or more) until about 35mph (I have found the mpg reading is about the same whether you accelerate gently or moderatly once the engine comes on as the car really only used the electric motor to drive the car until above 35-40mph). I then accelerate gently to my cruising speed.

Following this method of acceleration, I find I get the same or better FE than if I drive 'granny' style all the time. I drove the car this weekend for about 30 miles and averaged over 47mpg with the air on and a mix of 90% city, 10% highway). (I use many of the techniques listed here EXCEPT DRAFTING).

Has anyone had similar experiences?

I have had my Prius II for about a week. I am still on the first tank, and I have used about 3 bars worth of gas. I hgave drive 200+ miles. The mpg meter on the dashboard shows 63+ mpg.

My limited experience shows that the mpg values on the dashboard do not change while accelerating once the ICE comes on. In fact, I have found that the faster you accelerate (I have only pushed for moderate acceleration .. so my experience is limited to this extent of pushing the acelerator), the better MPG figures you get. So, common sense tell me that it is better that I push the accelrator and get to the sped that I want to quickly and then try to maintain the speed.

The other observation that I made is that the power required to "maintain" the speed of the car is about directly proportional to the speed of the car. So, if one does want to drive at smaller speeds, then once the car has accelerated to that speed, the MPG numbers start becoming better ...

Regards!