Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Hypermiles, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 01:46 PM
Enthusiast
Question Hypermiles, etc.

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and have done some searches and browsing to learn tips and strategies for better fuel efficiency. I'm running into terms such as "hypermiles" and "forced auto stop" being used as common knowledge. Could someone point me to a thread or FAQ that already has these terms explained? Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here but I'm suffering from the newbie curse.

Thanks,

Erich
(own a 2005 Honda Accord Hybrid)

Old 10-22-2005, 02:09 PM
G.H. Contributor
Post Re: Hypermiles, etc.

Originally Posted by erich6
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and have done some searches and browsing to learn tips and strategies for better fuel efficiency. I'm running into terms such as "hypermiles" and "forced auto stop" being used as common knowledge. Could someone point me to a thread or FAQ that already has these terms explained? Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here but I'm suffering from the newbie curse.

Thanks,

Erich
(own a 2005 Honda Accord Hybrid)
HI Erich; I just answered this same question that you posted on your other Thread that you started
(Newbie Here). Back up and read it and I hope it will help with your
questions.

HTH

Terry

Old 10-22-2005, 02:23 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Hypermiles, etc.

OK. Thanks!

Erich

Old 10-22-2005, 04:14 PM

Welcome to GreenHybrid. Try not to cross post. Mark down what your current FE is because in 8 months it will be a distant memory. I say 8 months because winter is coming. If you don't have winter where you are then you can knock 5 months off that

Old 10-22-2005, 05:02 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Erich,

In a word, Forced auto stop (FAS) is a term that I think xcel coined to decribe coasting with the engine off. Hot_Georgia, tbaleno, LakeDude, and xcel himself are the masters of the art.

More generally, the technique takes advantage of a truism regarding all car engines: each one has a sweet range of power output (usually around 30 - 70% of maximum RPM where thermodynamic efficiency is highest, and best FE is gained by using the engine in that range only (or as much as possible). So FAS is half of the technique. The complete cycle is accelerate at optimal engine use to desired speed, then FAS coast until time to use the engine again..

If I remember right, LakeDude posted details of the technique for his MT HCH; and both he and Hot_Georgia has posted movies showing each driver in action. Practically speaking, only people who are really good drivers, and have empty roads to drive take advantage of it. As an aside, Prius drivers do not FAS, but have a functional equivalent we call 'gliding' that can be easily achieved below 40 MPH and does not require turning the car off.

Fuel Economy 101 should not be disregarded:
Tyre inflation
Momentum conservation
Trip planning
Anticipatory driving
Slowing down on the Highway

is 80% of driving for FE. Evan Fusco wrote a very nice monograph for FE on the Prius that is in the Learn section of this forum that emphasizes these basic tenets true to all cars.

Welcome, and happy hypermiling

Last edited by EricGo; 10-22-2005 at 05:26 PM.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:22 PM

Minor correction. I'm not a master of FAS. I used it for a while and will at rare times still use it. I had to pretty much stop because my radio draws too much current with the engine off.

Old 10-22-2005, 05:28 PM

Tom: radio, or radio station ?

Old 10-22-2005, 06:44 PM

EricGo, thank you for the detail to Erich. I've been discussing my tricks to Ecel in my FEH and all this FAS and pulse and glide got me confused. Erich, your not alone and I've been posting for awhile here. I think you long timers need to just spell out this stuff, FEH is Ford Escape Hybrid.

In the short time Ecel drove the FEH, he could not find a smooth way to go force auto stop in the FEH. Our communications gap between other hybrids needs work on this board. The different levels of FE (fuel efficiency) of what is a hypermiler has problems. Some on this board are far ahead of what others could ever believe.

EricGo you just help me understand more than you think with that post. Ecel and others here with a little practice can take most any vehicle and double the gas mileage of EPA or average driver. These hypermilers are serious about fuel efficiency in all types of conditions and all autos.

Thanks again, Gary

Old 10-24-2005, 03:03 PM
Enthusiast

Hi everyone and thanks for all the comments!

I did some browsing around here and read up on several tips on tire inflation, coasting, etc. Pumped up my tires from 32 to 38 and tried out some of the techniques on my commute from Orange Co. to LA today. (30 miles each way). Highway mileage going to LA this morning was 40.2 mpg and coming back I got 43.4 mpg. Very nice! It was also more relaxing to let everyone speed past me and switch lanes and brake like crazy while I took it easy on the right lane listening to classical music on XM. I think it helped I avoided rush hour (and it was cool out so AC differential was minimal) so this is probably the best I'll ever do.

I tried some of the FAS in the city but couldn't figure out how to do it without rebooting the navigation system. Is there a way of doing this like the Auto Stop (AC, power steering, and NAV system stay up and running)? My city mileage typically averages around 20 mpg and I'm looking to boost it.

Thanks again!

Erich

Old 10-24-2005, 03:18 PM

Way to go, erich6 !
That is a really good result.

Please do not let FAS detract from safe driving. LA city driving --- {{shiver}}

Quick Reply: Hypermiles, etc.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands