Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.
View Poll Results: How has your mpg changed since finding GH?
I have been a member from the day I purchased my car
45.45%
Up by 10 percent or more
30.30%
Up by 3-10 percent
9.09%
About the same: -2 to +2 percent
15.15%
Down by 3-10 percent
0%
Down by 10 percent or more
0%
I don't track my mileage, so I don't know
0%
I don't have enough data to make a choice
0%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Hypermiling, Before and After GH

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 06:23 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.
Default Hypermiling, Before and After GH

In another thread, there is an active discussion on hypermiling. My question to you, as posed above, is to relate your experiences in hypermiling realtive to becoming a member of this site.

Before I found GH, my mpg on my HCH I MT was 50.09. I was pleased as punch.
After I found GH, my mpg on my HCH is 56.79, or over 10 percent better.
My cumulative total is: 52.97 mpg.

I am very happy, and very happy to have found GH!

Old 02-23-2006, 06:54 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hypermiling, Before and After GH

I'm at 48mpg right now, and looking at my trendline of three tanks, I seem to be improving around 0.75mpg per tankful. My big problem is the amount of city driving and the discourteous drivers in the Houston area. My wife has forbidden me from FAS-ing, so I haven't been really toying with that approach. I am still trying to figure out all of the car's nuances on the road. This site has definitely been helpful in the pursuit!

Jeff

Old 02-23-2006, 06:59 AM
Happy Hybrid Owner

Of course, more complex than the choices. Mileage in the FEH was about 28 before GH, though it was still early in the break-in period. Went up over 31 in the summer/fall, is now back to 28 (hubby driving, COLD weather) - though would probably be even lower without GH. I think I only did one or two tanks before GH, so it's hard to gauge the true effect.

Knew about GH before buying the Prius; I'm sure my mileage in it will be 10% or more better than if I had never found GH.

Old 02-23-2006, 08:05 AM
Banned

Back in 2000, my lifetime mpg was 48. It's now 57.5. If I drove back then like today, the lifetime mpg would probably be 65-70.

Old 02-23-2006, 09:44 AM
Engineering first

Where did the term 'hypermiler' originate? Wikipedia claims "hybrid driving clubs."

The GH database is and has been critical by providing data to track the impact of specific changes in gross vehicle MPG. I can track the effect of over-filled oil pan, 32 vs. 42/40 psi tires, air shield, Amsoil ATF and route-speed changes.

Too bad the non hybrid-electric folks don't have simular vehicular database to track their performance. If limited to just simular engine block vehicles, a gas-only entry for each engine block would suffice for all body styles.

In the case of the Toyota vehicles, the 1500 cc engine would cover the Echo/Yaris, Scion and simular engined, gas only vehicles. The same would be true for the Honda gas vehicles sharing the same engine block as the HCH and Intrepid. There may be a need for a gas-manual and gas-auto transmission vehicle versions.

This would provide the closest to an apples-to-apples comparision between the hybrid and non-hybrid powered vehicles. It would nail down the performance impact of hybrid-electric drivetrains and encourage simularly gas-only, engined owner/operators to share their data and techniques. Best of all, it would quantify the effect of a hybrid drivetrain and the 'hybrid premium.'

Bob Wilson

Old 02-23-2006, 12:47 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

As part of doing the research before even test driving a FEH, I was here, and read up on everything. My first post was on the day I actually got mine, and I've been here ever since.

So, I would owe a very large part of my MPGs to here, and what I've learned.

Old 02-23-2006, 01:54 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Reading up on everyone's experiences here at GreenHybrid is what led me to buy a hybrid.

And it most definitely has affected my driving, from day one.

Regards,

Old 02-23-2006, 03:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I bought my car in Jan'04 and the only real informative hybrid site was Insight specific, and some of their posted techniques didn't work as well in my HCH.

I found this site and one of its members, xcel helped me up from the 40's.

Since HCH MPG specific tips didn't exist GH became my most favorite website, even up until today.
The community has remained a good, courtious site to post and gather information.

Old 02-24-2006, 06:43 AM
PCK
Active Enthusiast

I was visiting this site for about 2 mnths prior to my purchace of a Hybrid vehicle,
and must say if it wasn't for GreenHybrid.com I wouldn't have been receiving the
results I am seeing.

Old 02-24-2006, 02:25 PM
Banned
Default It Was Resolve - not Knowledege

It was more hearing several hypermilers get 70mpg+ that got me to modify my driving. One or two people you might dismiss, but ten can't be ignored. The difference in foot pressure between hypermiling and not can be very slight.

In short, there is a support system to hypermile here. That helps if you are going to make a lifestyle change. Improved driving does not have a silver bullet, no more than personal finances, health, etc....

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 02-24-2006 at 03:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Hypermiling, Before and After GH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands