Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Fuel Economy & Emissions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/)
-   -   I got a star! (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/i-got-star-5130/)

Civic Duty 12-24-2005 11:52 AM

I got a star!

It's been half a year in coming, but my car is now at the very very bottom of the hypermiler list of CVT HCH-I's! Thank you mild South Carolina weather! Now I know I've made it in life. I can now diminish and pass into the west...

/brag

tbaleno 12-24-2005 12:11 PM

Re: I got a star!

I have a few years yet I think. I missed by about 2mpg last year. Its all going to depend on how this winter is. So far my first tank is lower than the same tank last year. :(

tigerhonaker 12-24-2005 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by tbaleno
I have a few years yet I think. I missed by about 2mpg last year. Its all going to depend on how this winter is. So far my first tank is lower than the same tank last year. :(

To Tom: :cry:

Hot_Georgia_2004 12-24-2005 01:49 PM

Now THAT's a nice Christmas gift and a great start for a bran new year! :D :D

EricGo 12-24-2005 02:18 PM

Congrats, Rob !

I have wondered what is required of the Prius, since my 56.5 mpg car has not gained the distinction. Ah well, at least I made it to Wayne's list ;)

tbaleno 12-24-2005 02:25 PM

The database uses a percentage of city higway driving like if you drove 100% city 0% highway you would have to equal city epa. If it were the other way around you would have to meet highway. Since you drive 90% city and only 10% highway you will need an average of 54 (90% of 60) + 5.1(10% of 51) or 59.1mpg or something like that. I think thats how the calculation goes. Your current average is 56.5 so you have a bit of work to do. Wayne does the combined average (60+51)/2 = 55.5 thats why you make it on his list but not on Jason's. It's just a different method for measuring.

EricGo 12-24-2005 04:01 PM

Thanks Tom. I had no idea each individual's self reported city/hy ratio is used to determine starhood. That actually makes sense so far as it goes, but I have to wonder why we would make that distinction, but ignore all the other things that we know affect mpg like climate, wind, humidity, traffic congestion, local driver aggression, hills ... ...

That is what makes Wayne's results so amazing. In CHICAGO, of all places. Don't get me wrong -- great place. But what a nightmare to drive in.

tbaleno 12-24-2005 04:10 PM

Its arbatrary. I guess since the EPA does city/highway thats about as fine as he could get. The EPA as far as I know doesn't do weather, number of stoplights or any other granular measurment (at least if they do I don't think they publish them).

As far as Chicago driving goes. Yeah, its tough up here. But what doesn't kill us makes us stronger.