Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

I'm now a believer

Old 06-23-2008, 07:13 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default I'm now a believer

I had read many places that increasing your tire pressure would help with gas mileage. I decided to give it a try. Yesterday, I increased the tire pressure on my '08 TCH from 32 lbs. to 35 lbs. Today, on my way to work, I checked the "in car" computer to see what my gas mileage was. Usually, it reads about 37.5. Today, it was 41.2 and got as high as 42.8 before I got to work. I was shocked!! And I didn't notice any difference in the ride so its staying at 35 lbs.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:21 PM
HypoFueler
Default Re: I'm now a believer

Congrats - try some of the other tips you see here and I bet you will be at 45 or higher by the end of the Summer....

Old 06-24-2008, 05:45 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Amazing what such a small change can make isn't it....now think of all the cars on the road with under inflated tires .

Old 07-27-2008, 03:49 PM
Enthusiast

I have an 09 camry, what should mine be set to in order to maximize mileage?

Jim

Old 07-27-2008, 04:25 PM
Hybrid Evangelist

Originally Posted by jimingersoll
I have an 09 camry, what should mine be set to in order to maximize mileage?

Jim
Set it to the maximum listed on the sidewall of the tires. If you find the ride too harsh you can slow reduce the pressure until you find a comfortable ride with better efficiency than the car mfgr. setting.

I run my HCHII at 44psi and don't really notice much difference in the ride, but the FE went up about 10% immediately.

Last edited by mdarmistead; 07-27-2008 at 04:27 PM. Reason: added text