Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Fuel Economy & Emissions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/)
-   -   Insight Mileage Numbers (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/insight-mileage-numbers-459/)

Jason 05-11-2004 08:11 PM

I assume everyone noticed that the Insight mileage figures have been rediculously high? With the addition of a fifth Insight driver the average has been brought down a bit to the high 70's. I assume that's still 10-15 MPG too high, but we're getting there!

xcel 05-11-2004 09:40 PM

Hi Jason:

___I don’t know about you but my last (4) 96 mile segments (2 round trip commutes) have yielded 100 + mpg on each and every 96 mile segment … I will be doing my part to bring her back above 80 where she belongs ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Jason 05-12-2004 10:52 AM

Wayne,

You are not the average Insight driver -- I guarantee that :)

xcel 05-12-2004 04:58 PM

Hi Jason:

___Maybe not :D

___By the way, it appears that the last Insight added might be a CVT? If so, there is no way to distinguish this. CVT’s don’t come anywhere near what the 5-speeds achieve given the lack of lean burn.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Jason 05-12-2004 05:03 PM

Yes, it's a CVT. You can either hover over the image on the main page or click the "detailed" page and it'll tell you. I'll try and add a column for the table to define the transmission, but for all practical purposes -- dispute it if you must -- it's the same car even if it gets slightly better or worse mileage. An Insight may be M or CV, but in reality it doesn't matter much because it's only for general comparison purposes. I ask: what's the big deal?

xcel 05-12-2004 06:54 PM

Hi Jason:

___A CVT and a 5-speed Insight aren’t in the same class as far as fuel economy is concerned. I am talking about close to a 20 - 25 mpg real world mileage difference no matter who drives it!

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Jason 05-12-2004 06:58 PM

Not according to EPA. I'm not disagreeing with you here. There are differences. But, with the mass of hybrid vehicles coming to the market there just isn't a way to cater to such specific needs. Each car is going to have to be its own category.

ericbecky 05-13-2004 09:21 AM

I welcome the addition of more another Insight. I feel that my numbers are pretty good, but when compared to the mileage kings my numbers seem low.

Thanks to the mikymoto for adding your info!

As far as breaking out 5spd and CVT, I wouldn't worry, too much about it. People can drill down to see that detail if needed.