Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Keeping cool w/out A/C … For fuel economy of cours

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 10:10 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Steveo:
Please keep us posted what you work out.

Perhaps I could do the same and drill a 1/2 inch hole through whatever is obstructing my back seat.
(Well Ok my sad attempt at humor. Oh the horror!) :huh:

Old 06-15-2004, 04:28 PM

Steve,
I deffinatly will, I'm looking at getting a digital camera right now...so i'll be around the electronic stores. Hopefully I can get it hooked up and do some temperature testing. I am still trying to figure out how do come up with an, atleast partially correct, experiment to measure the gain. A good point was brought up over at InsightCentral about using Ni-Cads run off the cars 12v system...and that may be an easier system to run off of to start with...I'm also considering a small batery..like one for a Go-Ped. NEway...we need to meet up sometimes.
Cheers,
Steven

OH! For the love of all that is good and green in the world...dont drill through that! :blink:

Old 06-15-2004, 04:37 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

i dont get the joke

Old 06-15-2004, 04:52 PM

Flare,
The battery pack of the HCH is behind the rear seat, thats why it doesnt have fold down seats. Sry to leave you out.
Cheers,
Steven

Old 06-17-2004, 08:21 PM
BIF
Active Enthusiast

I know why the Kafka scarf and dipping the hand in cold water help to cool you down.

Because eventually, all of your blood will go through every one of your extremities. If you don't have any circulation problems, that is. If you have cooled the temperature of any one of those extremeties, then you'll chill the blood a tiny bit with each heartbeat. Remember, your hands and fingers have millions of capillaries, so narrow that the blood can only pass one cell at a time, single-file.

I don't know how long this takes, but eventually, your blood visits nearly all the tissue in your body, cooling it a tiny bit each and every moment in time.

Cooling a hand, foot, or neck will work nicely. Cooling an entire arm or leg would work faster. Er...I don't recommend that you Insight drivers startdriving with your arms and legs in a bucket of ice! <You can't fool me, I know you're considering this, just to see if it would work! :lol: >

Horse keepers sometimes use a kafka-like device for their horses...it drapes over the back of the horse's neck and continues down the sides of the neck, keeping the carotid artery cool; hence, cooling off the poor miserable beast...basically from the inside out!

Another way to cool off: Drive barefoot or with sandals and direct the AC full-blast down at your feet. True, you will need to use the AC for a bit, but eventually your blood will cool this way too. Before you know it, you'll be able to decrease the AC's effort or shut it off entirely. This method assumes that you have at least decreased your upper body's exposure to heat sources like sun through the window, hot coffee in your belly, etcetera.

A special note of concern: When using the hand-in-ice method, pay attention and avoid frostbite! Please be very careful to not overexpose your skin to extremely cold temperatures. Limit your exposure to the water to 10 minute (or less) periods.

Old 06-17-2004, 10:04 PM

<You can't fool me, I know you're considering this, just to see if it would work!>
Funny I read that quote just as I was envisioning my Left bare foot placed in a small cooler filled with water while the Right one works the pedals.

I don't think my idea is safe though as the cooler could shift and hinder pedal operation in an emergency.....DARN!

Envision post-accident talking to the police officer: "Sorry officer I couldn't get my foot out of the cooler in time!"

I still like my diving suit idea with cool water pumped inside! Ooooh that would be nice!
Freshly showered as you arrive to work B)

Old 06-17-2004, 10:06 PM
Site Founder

I think I've said this once before, but: You people are crazy! Why not just run everywhere? You'll be equally uncomfortable.

Old 06-17-2004, 10:34 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

you could try dipping a kafka scarf into ice water... but i think the kafka scarf works more with evaporation... since evaporation causes cooling :unsure:

Old 06-18-2004, 10:20 AM

--

Last edited by xcel; 12-02-2007 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-18-2004, 05:46 PM
BIF
Active Enthusiast

Heh, I filled a small round cooler up with icewater to test this. Not in the car, mind you!

Well, I couldn't bear to keep either hand in the water for longer than 30 seconds. Wow, it was real agony!

Hey, do we have any health professionals who could tell us how long it can be expected to take for a given red blood cell to visit all five major extremities (head, foot, hand)? Do we know how many trips through the heart it might take on average? Does a given blood cell tend to travel one or more extremities more often than the others?

These are questions inquiring minds want to know!

Anyway, thanks..

Quick Reply: Keeping cool w/out A/C … For fuel economy of cours

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands