Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Lakedude takes the gloves off...

Old 07-21-2005, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)
Default Lakedude takes the gloves off...

After Inverse Midlife Crisis's record tank of 74.9 mpg I thought the bar had been set pretty high so I quit trying so hard and started using AC and posted some so-so tanks. RJ Barlow has been doing a bang up job with Eco Car and has posted pics at 77.5 mpg blowing by my 74.9 record in no time.

Well there is nothing like some freindly competition to stir things up so the gloves are coming off. I checked my tire pressure and one tire was at 25 psi, now it is at 45 as are the other 3 tires. It is gonna be a hundred friday and my butt will be driving to work sans AC (oh the horror). With any luck IMC will be posting a tank in the eighties.

Old 07-21-2005, 05:56 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Lakedude takes the gloves off...

Hi Lakedude:

___It is about time Be careful with the heat. Might I suggest a small cooler filled with ice. It will make 100 degrees F seem like the low 80’s. Don’t forget that P&G works at even higher speeds with Forced Autostops. 74.7 mpg over 11.1 miles in the non-hybrid Accord should fire you up even more!

___Good Luck with your next tank.

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 07-21-2005, 07:02 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Lakedude is gonna make me feel embarassed to post my next tank in an Insight!
If he doesn't give in to the heat. Spray bottle to mist yourself with helps.

Xcel, I want to hear more about this pulse and glide technique, and how it would apply to an IMA vehicle on flat terrain. This would be a great article to add.

Regards,

Old 07-21-2005, 07:37 PM

Hi HawkGT647:

___It works in all cars that I know of but it is not an experience you will want to use continuously. In an IMA equipped Honda or non-hybrid, it is a SOB to use actually. I nailed a 39.3 mpg - 13 mile segment in the MDX tonight but I was really hoping to crack 45 It is just a lot of work with forced autostops and re-engagements up and down a small range of speed. When I hear back from Lakedude and Sdctcher, I will post a better article attempting to explain its nuances and possible best speed bands to use it in different types of vehicles …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 07-21-2005, 10:49 PM

Shhhhh! This is war! Don't be givin away my latest super weapon!!

Old 07-22-2005, 07:16 PM

Update

Got lucky today, it was "only" 98 degrees. Driving with a wet head and no AC really isn't that bad so long as it isn't too humid. I've run the AC at 70 degrees before when the humidity was 100%. Today the humidity was 33% which isn't bad at all. That old saying about heat and humidity is true.

The tank is in the low eightys after 70 odd miles. Going home tonight is downhill and with the wind so the mpgs will go up going home. Work is at a similar elevation to the gas station which is the RTP (Round Trip Point) so it looks like I should be able to hit 80mpg displayed next tank if it doesn't rain and my luck holds out.

There is a light at the bottom of a big ole hill that is usually green on the way home unless someone approachs from the side street. Every once in a while I'll get unlucky and get stopped by that light several times in one tank. Slamming on the brakes from 50mph too many times kills any chance for a record tank. If I get lucky and make the light I can coast ICE off for over 2 miles.

Last edited by lakedude; 07-22-2005 at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:40 PM

My afternoon drive lately is mid 90's and about 95% humidity. Sticky. Nasty.

This afternoon I rigged my ice water through the hose thingy but found myself paying too much attention in pumping rather than concentrating on FE.

I find myself getting so involved in what the car is doing and upcoming traffic that it distracts from the fact that it's really hot, and makes it not so bad.
That is until I wipe the drop that rolls down the forhead.
I'm cycling the AC on more and more lately while slowing or going downhill.
I drive with a plain t-shirt and bring along a nicer shirt for the work environment.

Ironically, I feel the hottest about 15 minutes after entering the air conditioned work place and takes about an hour to fully cool off.

Tomorrow is supposed to be hotter and the day after really hot, approaching 100.
Geeze, I might just have to give in and use the AC more.
My last tank was worse than terrible for me at 51.7MPG, thanks to tropical storm Dennis, the 10-30MPH headwind for days on end (Even still today), sheets of rain and a wife's hurrid trip to work @ only 41MPG over 60 miles.
I've jammed my car full of gas again and still working for that 900 tank goal.
Dog-gone I'm gonna do it.

Old 07-22-2005, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004
My afternoon drive lately is mid 90's and about 95% humidity. Sticky. Nasty.
I'd give in (to AC) for sure under those conditions. Yuck!
This afternoon I rigged my ice water through the hose thingy but found myself paying too much attention in pumping rather than concentrating on FE.
Looks like you need to invest in a motorized pump.
I've jammed my car full of gas again and still working for that 900 tank goal.
Dog-gone I'm gonna do it.
You go! Of course fall will be here soon enough, it might be easier if you wait.

Old 07-23-2005, 12:24 AM

Hi Lakedude:

___You know what happens when you hit 61.2 lmpg, right? I am absolutely counting on it

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 07-23-2005, 08:23 AM
Brains of the Operation

Confession. I am using my AC nonstop. It's killing my mileage. When the humidity here is constantly in the 90s, and so is the temperature, I just can't stand it. I can't afford to rig up ingenious cooling solutions like HG. I absolutely cannot stand to be hot - all my friends know me as "the cold freak". I don't even own a coat or jacket; when it gets near freezing in winter, I'm in my prime temperature zone. Sometimes I will turn off ECON and let the engine run my AC at a stoplight when I think I'm absolutely going to die. The 10-day forecast for Columbia doesn't look encouraging, either: upper 90's most days, and for only one day in the next 10 days does the mercury dip all the way down to 93! And that's the wet heat that is utterly unbearable. I can't wait to see how, unlike everyone else, my mpg skyrockets in the winter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lakedude takes the gloves off...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands