Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Lakedude takes the gloves off...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 04:09 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Lakedude takes the gloves off...

Hysteresis ? There you go using big words again ..

I have come across the phenomenon in Pressure/Volume curves -- but I cannot grasp how a hill is the same. Going up and down just does not seem quite similar enough, unless you are saying the car compresses going up, and exands going down ?

Old 07-30-2005, 04:25 PM

Hi EricGo:

___After posting that monster, I saw the error (MS Word had no idea) and debated editing it or maybe no one would notice. I guess someone noticed You should join me in Chat some night if you want to see spelling at a 6th grade level … And I am being kind!

Hysteresis
Hysteresis is a property of systems (usually physical systems) that do not instantly follow the forces applied to them, but react slowly, or do not return completely to their original state: that is, systems whose states depend on their immediate history. For instance, if you push on a piece of putty it will assume a new shape, and when you remove your hand it will not return to its original shape, or at least not immediately and not entirely. The term derives from an ancient Greek word meaning 'deficiency'. The phenomenon was identified, and the term coined, by Sir James Alfred Ewing in 1890.

Hysteresis phenomena occur in magnetic and ferromagnetic materials, as well as in the elastic and electromagnetic behavior of materials, in which a lag occurs between the application and the removal of a force or field and its subsequent effect. Electric hysteresis occurs when applying a varying electric field, and elastic hysteresis occurs in response to a varying force.

If the displacement of a system with hysteresis is plotted on a graph against the applied force, the resulting curve is in the form of a loop. In contrast, the curve for a system without hysteresis is a single, not necessarily straight, line. Although the hysteresis loop depends on the material's physical properties, there is no complete theoretical description that explains the phenomenon. The family of hysteresis loops, from the results of different applied varying voltages or forces, form a closed space in three dimensions, called the hysteroid.

Hysteresis was initially seen only as a problem, but is now considered to be of great importance in technology, and the property is used for example when constructing permanent memory for computers.

The term "hysteresis" is sometimes used in other fields, for example economics or biology. In such cases it describes a memory or lagging effect in which the order of previous events can influence the order of subsequent events.
___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 07-31-2005, 01:00 AM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Well that turned out rather well (grin). See the new pics in the share section and check out the latest database entry to see how Lakedude did with the gloves off.

Old 07-31-2005, 05:27 AM
Conservative Republican

Fantastic job dude!! Now that you have set a new standard, you have shown what you can do, you can be expected to post such numbers every time!!

Now I have to get motivated, but my current tank is showing just 71.5 mpg at 138 miles (why does that sound so low? just weeks ago that would feel pretty good). I had a rough start on this tank, and now I have to learn to hypermile in a Prius II.

We all know how hypermiling can add time to our travels, I just don't know if I have any more time to dedicate to trying to keep up with you. And for every tank I post, I have to average it into 4 times the lifetime miles that you do. I have 23,000 miles worth of learning curve in the 50s to deal with, miles I racked up before I found this site and got motivated.

You da man!

Old 07-31-2005, 07:31 AM
Active Enthusiast

https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/sh....php?i=346&c=9

Ok, time for a brief rest. I am putting the gloves back on until Friday.

Old 07-31-2005, 06:41 PM

Hi Lakedude and Krousdb:

___Although late to the party, I want to congratulate you both! Lakedude, I had hoped you would nail an 80 mpg tank in an HCH and you have proven it directly. Krousdb, I am still amazed at the efficiency you have wrung out of your Prius II. This is the hottest thread on the planet right now!

___Good Luck to you both.

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 08-01-2005, 12:33 PM

I'm glad I was able to make you happy x. Thanks to you and Dan for sharing the P&G technique. My next tank will be rebellion, barely hitting average with full AC all the time and very little coasting. My poor battery did not like the way I was using P&G.

I think the full blown P&G is too hard on the ignition switch and the IMA battery. After this next "slacker" tank, I'm going to use a more mild version of P&G that takes 5th gear and hills into account. I already tried the newest way and got about 80 point something on a round trip segment. The mileage is not as good as the full blown shut the car off ever couple tenths of a mile P&G but it is a lot easier on the car. The battery stayed full (like before) and the average speed was quite a bit higher because you are not slowing down to 30.

The newest "light" version of P&G is basically a reboot on downhill only, use 5th gear to keep the speed up version. The record tank used lots of coasting, followed by 4th gear climbs up from 30mpg. The full blow record tank version of P&G was also a bit of a traffic hazard and annoyance. Normally I would consider the traffic flow but for the record tank I just let people suffer behind me at very low speeds at times. Some got pretty mad.

Anyway the newest incarnation of P&G seems the best compromise between wear and tear, trip speed, traffic flow and mileage.

Old 08-01-2005, 01:34 PM

Hi Lakedude:

___I hear you loud and clear … Remember that my commute consists of 90% 55 and 65 mph limited Interstate so P&G doesn’t work for me either let alone I am in a non-hybrid. If you think the pack and IMA took a beating in your 5-speed with a stick, multiply that by 10 when considering a non-hybrid’s 12V w/ a gear reduction starter and a std. Automatic transmission

___The Prius II has this capability designed right into it for smooth P&G’s and although it is not the most longevity promoting technique I can think of, where applicable, it works fantastic. If you saw Dan’s normal everyday commute, you would see it works very well for him without obstructing traffic and in my wife’s daily grind, it would work just as well.

___Lastly, the HCH’s FE achievement you have shown all of us will hopefully inspire others to use various hypermiling techniques where appropriate to improve upon their own FE no matter what or where they drive. As of this writing, you are on top of the HCH fleet with a healthy buffer. The interesting thing will be to see if you can actually back off. It is really hard to do once you begin nailing down some really phenomenal numbers. Been there and it is a hard “Good Habit” to break

PS: You only need another .1 mpg to hit “Valedictorian” status. Kenny and Hot_Georgia_2004 are already there in their CVT based HCH’s so don’t give up on me now!

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 08-01-2005, 01:51 PM

Well this tank is already a low 60's after like 88 miles so it is ruined. Maybe I'll make the best of it.

Old 08-01-2005, 06:10 PM

Hi Lakedude:

___.1 mpg is so close even I can taste it! With that, I am not giving up on you just yet

___Good Luck on this and all future tanks!

___Wayne R. Gerdes