Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Learning on my Second Tank

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 12:05 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Learning on my Second Tank

Who says rookies can't get lucky?

Old 07-28-2006, 12:33 PM
Engineering first
Thumbs up Re: Learning on my Second Tank

Originally Posted by VaBeachPrius
Who says rookies can't get lucky?
Well done! Your signature block will update within the hour.

A minor suggestion but see if you can minimize the 'regen'. Although 'regen' is better than the alternative, conservation of momentum is best.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 07-28-2006 at 12:36 PM.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:11 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Learning on my Second Tank

Agreed on the regen. I was on slightly unfamiliar roads and there was a lot of traffic on my backside (at the speed limit, mind you).

Earlier in the week, I was near my house driving a loop where I could glide more and I was averaging in the low 90's mpg wise. The car is pretty amazing. I am doing better (MPG's) by judiciously using stealth and gliding more. It seems to make the pulse mpg's better, which in turn means I don't have to glide as far for good mpg. If I get the HV SOC high enough, I can cruise at about 45 mph while seeing between 60-80 mpg on the display. Too bad that road isn't long enough to keep it up for long, thus back to the pulse and glide between lights.

I have to travel the month of August and some of september so I might be able to squeeze in a 70+ mpg tank then with what I think I have learned from a thread on this site by the marathon miler's (sp?). Hopefully, September will be a warm month.

Thanks,

Chris

Old 07-29-2006, 09:06 PM
Enthusiast

We took our new TCH out for a fun drive. The route was ~230 miles under ideal conditions (relatively flat open local roads, 50-60 MPH cruising speed, only 2 to 3 lights in each direction. I was extremely pleased with the TCH performance, ~42 MPG. Not bad when you consider we were not using any special techniques.

Last edited by bookman; 07-29-2006 at 09:22 PM.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

Good job, Bookman. This tank must have been a fluke. I found out what having four people in the car, heavy use of AC, and short trips does to gas mileage.

I will have to wait until September to find out. I will be out of town for the next 45 days. No family, no prius.

Chris