Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Lowest Escape Mileage Ever!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 07:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

Fudging just a bit I hereby claim the lowest MPG of a Hybrid! I only drove for two hours and traveled about 10 miles but my MPG was 4.8.

I used my 4WD 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid to tow a 800 lb. road drag consisting of three railroad ties on a steel frame. I drug a dirt road pulling in front of the road a pile of sand and dirt. At the end of each round was about 100 yards of 30 degree slope and my car did fine except in one case where at the very end it topped out RPM at 2500 with full pedal but did make it over the top. But on level ground most of the time my car stayed in EV Mode only.

I would think the friction and dead weight probably exceeded the advertised towing capacity of a 1,000 lb. load on wheels (FMC).

I used a Class 2.5 modified Da'Lan Frame Hitch supplied by an after market seller.

I will not be submitting this gas tank to the Ford Escape Database.

Mike

Old 12-21-2004, 07:51 PM
Site Founder

Hm. Could you tell me a bit about how Ford designed its hybrid system? If I recall, they were going to use the old Toyota Hybrid System but ended up developing its own... and it works much like the full [Toyota] Hybrid Synergy Drive system now. Is that true?

If so, perhaps you should be a bit more careful about towing. Would not a system like that break if one exceeds its towing limit? I wouldn't even try towing in my Prius...

Old 12-21-2004, 08:03 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I hear it works like it but it doesnt change modes as often

Old 12-21-2004, 10:11 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Jason,
Patents are from the THS (from Prius Gen I) it is my understanding that these patents only apply to the PSD and attkinization of engine components (and the way power sources work together...but thats technology not mechanics).
Cheers,
Steven