Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

A meditation on the speed limit

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 02:41 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: A meditation on the speed limit

Lakedude, I tried to save the file onto my HD but was not successful and not sure of the size.

The filming was done on highway 285 which is the belt way around Atlanta.
It was done at 11:00AM on a Friday morning.

I avoid the road at all costs unless on a Sunday afternoon, etc.

Posted limit is 55 all around and as mentioned in the video actual speed varies 60-85MPH.
What isn't clearly mentioned is the daily wrecks, shootings, the bi-weekly multiple deaths, explosions, fires, and the occasional Ford Explorer crushed flat and burning under two semi's piled on another.

Straight from a Mad Max movie I'm suprised they all survived, let alone unhurt.

One thing easily believed by some from this experiment is the thinking that speed limit drives is always dangerous.
While it's suicide on that paticular road it can be done safely in the far right lane on many other roads and other conditions.

Old 03-01-2006, 09:36 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Let the "rule head" check in. The law is the law. It doesn't matter whether I like it or not. ANYTIME I break the law its MY fault. It has nothing to do with what other people are doing or not doing, period (ie, driving the speed limit in the left/passing lane and other cars can't pass). I don't know if being in the left lane unless passing is illegal in GA or not. It probably is, but I imagine obscene gestures made to other motorists and driving on the shoulder are as well. I definitely know its against the law to hit another vehicle and flee the scene. All of these are illegal in Texas.

Also, let's see 1.5% of 22,500,000 barrels of oil a day current U.S. consumption is...

337,500 barrels of oil

taking us down to 22,162,500 barrels of oils a current U.S. day

and lower insurance costs and medical costs as well

Sounds like a great start to me

I disagree about this being a "state only" issue in the following sense. If we are addicted to oil (I think we are) and if it's a national security issue ( and I do) then the federal government should mandate conservation any way it can be accomplished. Conservation is the cheapest and quickest way to moderate consumption and reduce dependence, especially since any supply increases will take at least 5 years to appear at my gas station down the street. The estimates I have seen are 10-20% total with little REAL hardship (lower thermostat settings, lower speed limits, etc.). And no, I don't hate Exxon stockholders or employees. They might be adversely affected but wherever oil prices end up they should have money and/or jobs for a lifetime.

You know, 337,500 barrels here and 337,500 barrels there and before you know it your talking about real oil.

You may ask am I walking the walk? A fair question. My answer is I have adjusted my thermostat downward and drive the posted limit or lower EVERYWHERE I go. Yes, even if I think I may be late. I stay in the far right or middle lane (for toll booths) and I am the slowest thing on the road 99% of the time. And yes, people are always buzzing ahead of me to stop directly in front of me at the next light or bottle neck (9 out of 10 time easily, especially during rush hour) because I accelerate and decelerate to slowly to suit them. I understand it as I am a reformed @ss hauler myself. I either smile and wave or smile and give my "accelerator" salute as they go by. When I'm feeling really brave (or stupid as the case may be) I gave them the Big Woo horizontal hand vibration when they zip by.

Last edited by abowles; 03-01-2006 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:48 AM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

19.2 MB, it is huge! It took a couple hours but I got it!

Old 03-02-2006, 07:08 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

How do you know a traffic jam didn't occur. Boston, MA did this on Highway 93 during the 4th of July several years ago. It was a complete failure. It forced an artificial speed limit when the volume didn't merit such a tactic. What ended up happening is miles from where they started these controlled speed lines, there was traffic at a complete stand still. How do you think traffic comes to complete stop to begin with. Why was it a complete failure, because the second they stopped this, volume was actually higher and no traffic jam. Since that day, they have never repeated this tactic.

Old 03-04-2006, 09:00 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I found the video quite interesting, and they did a good job making it. Not sure of Alabama law in the subject of driving in the left-most highway lane when not passing; a search on the word "passing" in the Georgia Driver's Manual showed nothing on the subject.

Arguably, speed-limiting all lanes except the left-most might have been a more dangerous experiment for them, requiring the other drivers to queue up and safely perform the passing manuevers.

In Puerto Rico, a component of political campaigns is for drivers to fill all lanes, drive far below the speed limit, and sound their horns in favor of their party's candidate. For all the time I lived there, I could not figure out how this activity would improve the chance of political success.

Even when the speed limit is higher, I have adopted the habit of 55 mph in the slow lane. Effect of Prius ownership I guess. Even here in California, people seem generally able to cope. It is amusing, though, when someone is "trapped" behind me in the right-most lane because their exit is upcoming. When the offramp appears some will briskly accelerate down it, for a few seconds of perceived freedom before braking for the stoplight at the other end.

DAS