Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

mileage database for HCHII bi-modal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 06:32 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: mileage database for HCHII bi-modal?

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
I don't remember the thread. I just selected the data from the web page, I'm using Firefox, did a copy and pasted it into an empty Excel spreadsheet. If it doesn't work for you, contact me via e-mail and I'll e-mail the file as an attachment.

Bob Wilson
Okay, got it. Thanks.

Old 06-22-2006, 08:28 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

So, do you guys think that the low number of people at 46-46.9 mpg means that the data is bimodal or is it just a little noise? I tend to think it is just noise. If the distribution of people's FE in the HCHII truly is bimodal, I would think that it would become more prominent with time.

Old 06-23-2006, 06:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mr. Kite
So, do you guys think that the low number of people at 46-46.9 mpg means that the data is bimodal or is it just a little noise? I tend to think it is just noise. If the distribution of people's FE in the HCHII truly is bimodal, I would think that it would become more prominent with time.
Actually, this looks like a normal distribution that is not bi-modal. Consider that all of the mpg result buckets are integers. Based on the sample size, and the likelihood that 45.9 and 46.1 aren't exactly 45.9 and 46.1 across all cars, or even all tanks of gas, the subtle differences in adjacent mpg groups are probably not statistically significant.

Of course there is tbe possibility that there is some phenomenon at 46 mpg but I can't think of a reason for it.

I can't wait until next month when I finally (I hope) have my HCHII Mag Pearl w/Navi to start adding to the database.

Mike

Old 06-23-2006, 07:40 PM

Here's what the distribution looks like with all cars that have submitted less than 4 tanks. Looks much more normal.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/fi.../4/6/HCHII.JPG

Old 06-24-2006, 06:36 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by toast64
Here's what the distribution looks like with all cars that have submitted less than 4 tanks. Looks much more normal.

Probably need to look at the other side separately too.

Bob Wilson

Old 06-24-2006, 09:06 AM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS
Default Pretty flat topped curve. Someone needs to do post count /unit of time.

The curve is pretty flat from 44mpg to 50 mpg-especially if you combine 46 with 47 and 49 with 50. The "bimodal" look is just because of the apparent dips at 46 and 50 and the up bumps at 47 and 49-averaging the number of folks in those 4 numbers would give about 19 fols each in that range of 46-50 mpg.
If I were less lazy I would do post counts on HCH2 folks per unit of time-I would then do the same with 2004+ Prius owners. I think-HOPE- it would show that HCH 2 owners post more per unit of time than Prius 2004+ owners.Of course,I would only count post from when they owned the car-and were members.Some of us were members before owning a Hybrid.
I'm certain you HCH 2 owners are more fanatical-on average- than Prius owners.
I can't really determine the level of committment to FE from this curve.
Oh well.Luck,Charlie

Old 06-24-2006, 11:27 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by toast64

Learning curve? I'm wondering if the new drivers, first time mileage posters, are showing a different distribution from those who get some time behind the wheel to learn how to exploit the high mileage capabilities?

If so, we might see a normal curve for the frequent posters and normal curve for the first time posters but combined, they look like a bimodal curve.

Bob Wilson

Old 06-24-2006, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Learning curve? I'm wondering if the new drivers, first time mileage posters, are showing a different distribution from those who get some time behind the wheel to learn how to exploit the high mileage capabilities?

If so, we might see a normal curve for the frequent posters and normal curve for the first time posters but combined, they look like a bimodal curve.

Bob Wilson
Good thought. If I get the time, I'll try to do that analysis.

Old 06-27-2006, 09:20 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Pretty flat topped curve. Someone needs to do post count /unit of time.

Originally Posted by phoebeisis
The curve is pretty flat from 44mpg to 50 mpg-especially if you combine 46 with 47 and 49 with 50. The "bimodal" look is just because of the apparent dips at 46 and 50 and the up bumps at 47 and 49-averaging the number of folks in those 4 numbers would give about 19 fols each in that range of 46-50 mpg.
If I were less lazy I would do post counts on HCH2 folks per unit of time-I would then do the same with 2004+ Prius owners. I think-HOPE- it would show that HCH 2 owners post more per unit of time than Prius 2004+ owners.Of course,I would only count post from when they owned the car-and were members.Some of us were members before owning a Hybrid.
I'm certain you HCH 2 owners are more fanatical-on average- than Prius owners.
I can't really determine the level of committment to FE from this curve.
Oh well.Luck,Charlie
I tend to agree- normal with a flattened top...wide variance (though the SD is not as large as the HCH1?). Methinks this is indicative of most HCH2 drivers, with varying degrees of techniques and caring, all simply hitting pretty close to the same mark, despite their best (or worst) efforts. This is a hallmark of good engineering- able to take almost any input and turn it into a pretty good result.

Old 06-27-2006, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)
Default Re: Pretty flat topped curve. Someone needs to do post count /unit of time.

Originally Posted by phoebeisis
If I were less lazy I would do post counts on HCH2 folks per unit of time-I would then do the same with 2004+ Prius owners. I think-HOPE- it would show that HCH 2 owners post more per unit of time than Prius 2004+ owners.Of course,I would only count post from when they owned the car-and were members.
Have you noticed that there are 445+91+292=828 total HCHs (Gen1 CVT, MT, Gen2) in the database compared to 55+707=762 Prius in the database but the number of HCH posts is 21,537 compared to 4,624 Prius posts. The number cars in the database is similar but the number of posts are over 4 to 1 for the HCH. Posts per database vehicle is 26 for the HCH compared to 6 posts per vehicle for the Prius. That is one heck of a difference!

I have no idea what any of that means. Perhaps the people are more "into" their HCH or perhaps the HCH has more problems to talk about? Got no clue?

Quick Reply: mileage database for HCHII bi-modal?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands