Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

mileage not too good.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 09:19 PM
Enthusiast
Default mileage not too good.

I just got my 2006 Ford Escape 4WD a couple of weeks ago. It's great to drive, I'm a careful driver but the mileage is pathetic..around 20 MPG according to the dash info. Not what I expected and very surprising. I bought it used with 1200 miles on it but that should have nothing to do with it. I don't start or stop suddenly, town driving so speed limits are 25 to 45 MPH. I'll let my ignorance be known to the world....Is there a different way to drive hybrids?

Old 11-30-2005, 09:34 PM
Wannabe Hypermiler
Default Re: mileage not too good.

See this article:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/learn/ar...ving-tips.html

and search many threads that discuss this topic. Good luck!

Old 11-30-2005, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Originally Posted by newhybrid
I bought it used with 1200 miles on it but that should have nothing to do with it.
Why would someone get rid of a truck after only 1200 miles? Unless you know the answer to this question one obvious reason is that something is wrong with the truck and the original owner was dumping a lemon.

Old 12-01-2005, 03:49 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

there is an entire world of menu item techniques you can pick and choose from to improve your MPG. Especially in the Escape!!

this FAQ specifically for the FEH was just posted:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...-faq.4776.html

Old 12-01-2005, 07:20 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks to all for sending links to the articles on driving hybrids, very helpful.
I don't know why someone would get rid of a car with only 1200 miles on it..supposedly because it was too small, previous owner was downsizing and went too small and I knew that might or might not be true. That aside, I thought I was making an informed decison about which hybrid.
I'm going back to the dealership and get some answers though. The saleman told me it takes 15,000 miles to break the car in which is not true with a hybrid.
I live in a temperate climate...rain, winters are rainy rather than snowy...I do coast, don't let the car sit and warm up, most of my trips are short. I do use defrost alot because of the rain..wet coats steam up the car but still I should be doing better than 20.2 to 20.8 MPH.

Old 12-01-2005, 08:51 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by newhybrid
I live in a temperate climate...rain, winters are rainy rather than snowy...I do coast, don't let the car sit and warm up, most of my trips are short. I do use defrost alot because of the rain..wet coats steam up the car but still I should be doing better than 20.2 to 20.8 MPH.
How long is your average trip distance one way?
Maybe, there'll be an answer.

Ken@Japan

Old 12-01-2005, 01:46 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Originally Posted by gonavy
there is an entire world of menu item techniques you can pick and choose from to improve your MPG. Especially in the Escape!!

this FAQ specifically for the FEH was just posted:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...-faq.4776.html

Glad to see someone has read it.

Anyway, there's a lot of variables to know why you're getting poor MPGs, but the running the defroster is a big sign there as to why the FE is poor, combined with a short commute, and I think we may know why. And the 1200 miles before selling it? Sounds very fishy to me.

Old 12-03-2005, 08:16 PM

According to both GH's database and fueleconomy.gov, the FEH is the most fuel-efficient SUV there is, so 20 is definitely very low. But it uses a hybrid system similar to that of the Prius and they both really suffer from just doing short trips. I suggest taking an extended trip that involves little stopping, like on the highway, and seeing how the car does over 20 miles or so. Also make sure the tires are not underinflated and maybe check the oil level too.

If you're paranoid that your car is a lemon, go to a dealer and take another FEH for a test-drive and see how it compares.