Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Monster-truck driver sees the light...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 09:23 PM
Energy Independence
Default Monster Trucks & I got your BEEF!

By your "definition", my old, small Nissan KingCab 4 cylinder truck would be considered a monster truck. It was narrowly UNDER the 20 MPG threshold in my driving. Now that IS one of the reasons for my selling it - but I'd hardly consider it a Monster Truck.

/back on topic/
I think what REALLY needs to occur is for ALL vehicles (cars, trucks, SUVs, motorcycles, 18-wheelers, etc.) to get better MPG. This is not going to happen naturally, unless prices at the pump increase significantly. More people want POWER and SIZE rather than MPG and CLEAN AIR. It is a fact. Even after the 1970's oil embargo and OPEC's rise to power, and 9/11. Europeans still would be the same if not for the government forcing people to pay heavily for these luxuries (taxation, large vehicles are not allowed in some big cities, etc.). And for most people, the POWER and SIZE we covet are luxuries. So, I think our government needs to force the action (as much as I hate getting the govt involved in anything).

Here's SOME "beef" :
Raise CAFE MPG requirements NOW!,
Stop excluding trucks and SUVs in safety and other requirements,
Bring back a gas-guzzler tax,
Wildly increase annual registration fees on current and future gas guzzlers,
Add a gas-guzzler Income Tax (this could be easily zeroed for low-income taxpayers),
Add a high-polluter vehicle Income Tax,
Make gas-guzzler inspections more expensive,
Add taxes to gas at the pump (get the price up to where it hurts, the fastest way to affect change),
Stop oil subsidies,
Encourage solar & wind power to reduce natural gas use on our power-grid.

Pick one or more.

I am sure there are brighter minds with even better ways.
EVs are so close it's not even funny. Trim the pricing back a little bit (with volume and further research improvement), and we're there. Shouldn't THAT be encouraged, at least as much as the hydrogen research?

It's not rocket-science, but it will be difficult for politicians to walk away from SO much campaign contribution $$$. So I have high hopes, but mediocre expectations. This is not solely a Rep or Dem thing, either. Carter was the first (and last) to really try, in my opinion. Both sides have had plenty of opportunity to turn this ship around, and it hasn't happened yet. Furthermore a 20% reduction in 10 years, while commendable, still does not get us near where we need to be with energy independence. We need to not get a drop from the Middle East, ASAP. This is a large task and needs to be addressed on many fronts if we are ever going to make much headway. I'm not at all interested in windowdressing.

Old 01-25-2007, 12:05 AM
Are We Having Fun Yet?
Default Re: Monster-truck driver sees the light...

Originally Posted by Earthling
Exactly.

Some people need trucks for their work, but the sad fact is that most gas-hog trucks are driven by people who favor the macho image of large trucks, and the environment and gas-hoggery be ****ed.

Harry
Yes indeedy.

Old 01-25-2007, 12:07 AM
Are We Having Fun Yet?

Originally Posted by msantos
- Number of cylinders. More cylinders = more tax !

MSantos
Well, my HYBRID HIGHLANDER has six cylinders. So that one, I'm not on board with. But the other ideas seem to be worthy of thought.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:28 AM
Banned
Default Re: Monster Trucks & I got your BEEF!

Originally Posted by gumby

Here's SOME "beef" :
Raise CAFE MPG requirements NOW!,
Stop excluding trucks and SUVs in safety and other requirements,
Bring back a gas-guzzler tax,
Wildly increase annual registration fees on current and future gas guzzlers,
Add a gas-guzzler Income Tax (this could be easily zeroed for low-income taxpayers),
Add a high-polluter vehicle Income Tax,
Make gas-guzzler inspections more expensive,
Add taxes to gas at the pump (get the price up to where it hurts, the fastest way to affect change),
Stop oil subsidies,
Encourage solar & wind power to reduce natural gas use on our power-grid.
Where are trucks and SUVS excluded in safety inspections? Certainly not in my state!
Gaz-guzzler income tax, that is then removed for the poor? How extremely unfair!! Stealing from the rich again? Robin Hood taxing is wrong!
More taxes for those that use their freedom NOT to purchase hybrids? Again, not fair and not right!!

I'll agree with stopping oils susbidies, and Encouraging solar and wind power to reduce natural gas on our power grid. Key word to the second part of that comment is ENCOURAGE.

Here is one step that should be taken, SUV's and trucks are not held to current EPA MPG regulations. Make them follow what rules are already in place without being able to fall through the loopholes.

Old 01-25-2007, 05:49 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by TJandHybrids
Well, my HYBRID HIGHLANDER has six cylinders. So that one, I'm not on board with. But the other ideas seem to be worthy of thought.
Unfortunately, I can't even look at them as ideas let alone take credit for them. Besides, we are past that point. They are actual laws affecting many western european countries who had the need, backbone and wisdom to put them in effect for more than 30 years.

As north americans, many of us will reject one or more of these "Ideas". After all, we've grown accustomed to fight whatever does not validate our choices and conveniences. It IS the american way !

Indeed, we've got a long way to go.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 01-25-2007, 06:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by msantos
Unfortunately, I can't even look at them as ideas let alone take credit for them. Besides, we are past that point. They are actual laws affecting many western european countries who had the need, backbone and wisdom to put them in effect for more than 30 years.

As north americans, many of us will reject one or more of these "Ideas". After all, we've grown accustomed to fight whatever does not validate our choices and conveniences. It IS the american way !

Indeed, we've got a long way to go.

Cheers;

MSantos
I feel that when the technology improves to the point that our hybrid vehicles produce the same HP and TQ in an automobile as fossil fuels, then the American publicewill accept the hybrid with open arms.

Here is an example: I like to go off roading with my buddies. There isn't a hybrid on the market yet that would allow me to do that, but there are many offerings in the fossil fueled vehicles that allow me to do just that.

Old 01-25-2007, 06:54 AM
Active Enthusiast

This is extremely entertaining! "Monster Trucks," indeed. My brother (a farmer) will no doubt be pleased about adding all of these new penalties and taxes to his finiancial burdens.

Thanks, Shannon, for keeping this real!

Old 01-25-2007, 06:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeekGal
Hmm, I don't believe I bashed him (and don't really see that anyone else has, egregiously, either.) Anyone that posts a comment can expect both responses in the affirmative and responses that counter all or some part of their comment. 'Tis life. I don't think he's been physically or emotionally scarred by it... any more than I've been scarred by his comments (which is to say, not at all!) Doesn't mean I don't have an opinion and share it, though. Your mileage apparently varies..
Could we interest you in a part-time job as a Moderator? You've got MY vote!

Old 01-25-2007, 08:17 AM
Energy Independence
Default Re: Monster Trucks & I got your BEEF!

Originally Posted by bparsons
Where are trucks and SUVS excluded in safety inspections? Certainly not in my state!
Not in safety inspections, but in CAFE MPG calculations, and in certain EPA safety requirements.

Gaz-guzzler income tax, that is then removed for the poor? How extremely unfair!! Stealing from the rich again? Robin Hood taxing is wrong!
Reducing this large US burden (energy dependence) will require sacrifice by many. Helping reduce the burden on the already overburdened poor in this regard is NOT a big deal, and is the right thing to do. It's NOT stealing from just the rich (as you put it), but from everone that is not POOR - upper lower class, lower-middle class, middle class, and up. Make the income cutoff quite low, I say. I do not consider myself rich, but I would wish this extra taxation to hit me too, if I choose to drive gas-hogs. Partly because I can (and should) choose my vehicles better. Many of the poor have limited financial options to improve their vehicle choices substantially.

More taxes for those that use their freedom NOT to purchase hybrids? Again, not fair and not right!!
This has NOTHING to do with hybrids, per se. It's all about making more fuel efficient choices, and the penalty for not doing so. Don't like hybrids? Buy a Sentra, or Saturn, or Focus, or Malibu. Just stop buying Escalades, MB S-class (big guzzler car), and Hummers, unless you have a NEED, or are willing to pay the penalties.

Here is one step that should be taken, SUV's and trucks are not held to current EPA MPG regulations. Make them follow what rules are already in place without being able to fall through the loopholes.
Absolutely. I meant that MPG loophole about the trucks and SUVs, in addition to their more relaxed EPA safety standards. I didn't state it like that, though. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:42 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Is it possible to Ignore the messages from folks who get banned?

It is getting depressing reading the garbage from these waves of web maggots.

MSantos

Quick Reply: Monster-truck driver sees the light...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands