Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

MPG in my Civic EX

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 09:10 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default MPG in my Civic EX

The mpg seems to be coming up in the 06 EX Civic. I did a 346 mile round trip in it yesterday and got a 42 mpg tank. I drove the speed limits or under. More than my share of coasting with ice off. Speed limits where from 25 mph to 75 mph. Yes theres some 75 mph road work on that tank. I hope they keep going up. I dont think 45 mpg is out of the question on this same trip at 5k miles on the car. It seems to have started to brake in very nice at 3k miles.

Old 02-03-2006, 09:14 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: MPG in my Civic EX

Wow, that's pretty good. Imagine what you could get in a Hybrid?!?

Old 02-03-2006, 09:53 AM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS
Default Very good-CR showed a drop in city mpg.

psyshack-very good.I was a little disappointed in CR's city loop numbers on the 2006.They showed 18 city and 43 hy for the 2006 auto-the 2005 was 22 city and 40 hy for the auto.Maybe it was winter testing,or just a fluke-but it was hard to believe that Honda would produce a Civic that got barely better city mpg than the Accord(or the Focus ).
Do you have anyway to check your city mpg-Scanguage?Thanks.Charlie

Old 02-03-2006, 10:25 AM
Default Re: Very good-CR showed a drop in city mpg.

Originally Posted by phoebeisis
psyshack-very good.I was a little disappointed in CR's city loop numbers on the 2006.They showed 18 city and 43 hy for the 2006 auto-the 2005 was 22 city and 40 hy for the auto.Maybe it was winter testing,or just a fluke-but it was hard to believe that Honda would produce a Civic that got barely better city mpg than the Accord(or the Focus ).
Do you have anyway to check your city mpg-Scanguage?Thanks.Charlie
I have no idea how they would come up with numbers like that. The worse tank Ive had was 29 mpg. That tank was mostly city with 3 street races. Two races against other Civics and one foolish 1/2 ton chevy truck driver. Mines a 5MT and is rated a little less on HWY mpg than the gutless 5AT. Last tank came in at 40 mpg and thats with 5ea. 0-60 test runs being done. Three of which where videod by my wife. With some hypermiling you can end up with very good mpg IMO and also have a car that can be driven as a drivers car. I look forward to autocrossing the car this spring. It will be intresting to see what mpg I get on a trip this spring and another road trip in the summer with the A/C on.

I cant think of enough ways to beat my Civic hard enough to get 18 mpg city.

Old 02-03-2006, 10:28 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by psyshack
It seems to have started to brake in very nice at 3k miles.
Hey Jeff, just out of curiosity what were you getting before 3k miles?

Thanks,

Scott

Last edited by sasparilla; 02-03-2006 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by sasparilla
Hey Jeff, just out of curiosity what were you getting before 3k miles?

Thanks,

Scott
https://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/.../car/1820.html

Theres the tank logs for the car since new.

Old 02-03-2006, 10:49 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Very good-CR showed a drop in city mpg.

Originally Posted by psyshack
I cant think of enough ways to beat my Civic hard enough to get 18 mpg city.
I think it needs to be automatic first off (that's what the Consumer Reports test that got that mileage was) and then probably race off the light every time. I think the automatic is much worse in city driving than the EPA estimates would indicate.

I've got a 2006 EX automatic and was rather horrified at the mileage I was getting with it (initial tanks were 29MPG - 32MPG). I have no highway driving in my trips, most of it is 40-50mph traffic light broken stuff. I've got about 1000 miles on her now and got 36mpg on the last tank, thats with very easy driving (just creaping the speed up and letting it coast way in advance of red lights).

My previous experience driving Honda's had me thinking it would be no problem to beat the highway MPG for my average MPG as I always had with 2 previous Honda's. This is not the case for me, at least so far, for the 06 Civic Auto.

Old 02-17-2006, 12:22 PM
04 prius 350,000km

**** he's beating my mileage... it must be that **** iVTEC!!! and that lower coeffienent of drag.