Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

My boring trip statistics

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 11:57 AM
Contributor ($)

Steve,
I wondered how you did the "play by play" I like the idea and I may have to give it a try. You might find it interesting. Currently on my commute to work my insight has been in the 70s for mpg.
It'll have to wait a few more days to give Insight stats. I have an Accord until Wednesday.

What we really need is a ton of bandwidth, then we could upload a video of the actual commute!

Old 04-01-2005, 02:04 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Video

a video of the actual commute
Actually I've had the idea before but ran into two production obsticles:
1. How to keep the cameras from shaking.
2. I think the best way (Might be wrong) would be to have a camera in the back seat area taking video of the road, and a 2nd camera focused on the FCD, then in the final have the road as the main view, with the FCD centered on the bottom. I'm not sure if my video editing software has a masking capability.

Perhaps the file size could be made managable by fast forwarding (Skipping frames) in rather unimportant areas, and going real-time in the most important ones like acceleration, traffic light techniques etc.

Definetly out of the reach of dialup users but not too bad for those with DSL/Cable?

Old 04-01-2005, 04:30 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default KLC:

I didn't note my speed statistics as they were similar to my other trip, My little town's speed limit is 35 and with a stone-cold engine I don't exceed the limit (Speed traps anyway) and verrrry careful and try to stay off the IMA Assist. It's mostly gradual uphill for ~3 miles. The 45 limit highway was about 44-55MPH, 6-lane 55 limit freeway would be 53-64MPH.

As far as stops, etc I had a couple of extra full stops and less rolling stops for traffic sake. You mentioned your Cape drive going a steady 40-45MPH and getting 54MPG.
Looks like you stumbled onto something there.
My trip takes about an hour and I drive about 46 miles so I average about 46MPH over the trip.
I could just take the freeway and gain ~10 minutes but burn @ ~52MPG.
I know lots of folks reading this might think it is a boring, slow drive but just opposite. There is so many variables to judge and each drive is different that if I wasn't strapped in I'd be on the edge in several segments. This is the most fun driving I've ever had.

I hear you with your stop lights every 1/2 mile or so. I'm assuming you've tried the timing technique and I'm not sure if this is possible in your case, but have you taken the time to find a different route, other than the usual beaten path to avoid or reduce these?

As you know it is important not to be a bother to other traffic.
If you're going 20MPH, 60MPG, slowing with a tailgater then that segment of road won't support 60MPG.
Sometimes I'll be in the 44-48MPG range to satisfy traffic but that's OK because I know I'll get over the hill and run in the +80 range. If the terrain is:

a. Short runs (Light to light) with full SOC I'd treat this the same as gridlock stop-n-go traffic. I'd allow a reasonable buffer to the car ahead, do a reasonable acceleration then reboot and coast to the next stop. Doing this too many times will lower your SOC so keep that in mind.

b. Open, single lane roads I'll gradually increase speed to at least the posted limit and test the instant FCD to find the best FE for that segment. I'd stay off my Assist while accelerating if possible.

Most hills in my area won't support drivng with the load technique.
If I know such a hill is coming I gradually increase speed for the onslaught, and not be caught holding up traffic or burning excessive fuel half way up. You have to do one or the other unless you prepare early and increase speed.
It's better to accelerate at..say 48MPG for 1500 feet than it is to ride at 64MPG and find yourself caught mid-hill burning @ 34-38MPG for 500' and using battery just to satisfy traffic requirements.

That is also a major issue with using cruise control.
Cruise control will also "test" the grade by temporarily digging very deep into low MPG's then go back & forth a few times until the speed is satisfied and then burn that fuel until the top is reached.
But, cruise control has it's place and I'll activate it extremely rarely, such as durring a leg stretch, etc.

I hope I answered your question.
I also realize that some people just tailgate. If I'm driving the speed limit or better and find an aggressor behind I'll go to a convenient spot that won't hurt my MPG too much and let them pass. I've even put on my Right blinker in the middle of no-where and moved right to let a single tailgater zoom on by. I don't make him linger behind me.
A win-win.
Possible passing places are Right or Left turn lanes, long acceleration lanes, etc.
If I'm on a 5-6 lane unclogged freeway in the far right lane doing the speed limit and someone tailgates then shame on him.

I'm not sure of the LRR figures of the Bridgestones vs dunlops.
Nor do I have an answer for your ULEV question.

I bought my car in Jan '04 and received some extremely useful tips from Wayne (Xcel), also did some MPG performance tests with my new car and did LOTS of experimenting with my route.
With 37K miles on her I haven't seen any significant MPG increase from break-in after my first couple of months except for experience.

About playing with smiles....I can't find them to post.
I've heard they're here somewhere but haven't looked.

Last edited by Hot_Georgia_2004; 04-01-2005 at 04:42 PM.