Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

On my way to being a hyper-miler

Old 08-17-2004, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

My car EPAs at 18/27 and my 1st measured tank was 27.4 using coasting, carrying speed thru turns and planning ahead for up and down hills. Speed was at the limit going to work and under the limit going home late at night.

This was encouraging so I'm trying extra hard this tank, going to work earlier/slower and cutting the car completely off on long down hill sections. The game gauge shows 35MPG! My gauge is off by about 2.5MPG so I'm expecting around 32MPG at the pump. The weather has been good so climate control is not much of an issue. I've let the climate control on auto but the air has only kicked on hard one day. I can't wait for the final results.

Old 08-19-2004, 11:03 PM

A little rain and the fact that school is back in session, increasing traffic, reduced the displayed mileage to 34.7MPG. Still quite a high number for a 18/27 car. The real bummer came at fill up time. The display was off even farther this time. Calculated mileage was 31.5MPG making the display off by a full 10% this time. I think cutting the car off completely and coasting screws up the display more than when I was leaving the car on. Still I beat the EPA highway by 16.6%

Old 08-20-2004, 09:22 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Lakedude:

___I would absolutely love to place a performance automobile with the capabilities of your Vette into the Hypermileage list. All you need to do is average 22.5 mpg and you are there! 3 more tanks to go anyway

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 08-20-2004, 01:38 PM

All you need to do is average 22.5 mpg and you are there!
Cool! I could drive like a complete madman and still get 22.5 as my daily trip is 2/3 highway. The only time the car ever gets down in that range is in the winter when it is being warmed up before driving. During normal driving the gauge is normally at around 28mpg which is around 25.2mpg at the pump. That is with fast acceleration, driving 65mph with cruise, full climate control, taking extra trips in town (more city milage), and coasting (motor on) only when the hill is steep enough that speed is maintained. It would take effort to get the mileage down to 22.5 in the summer. Breaking 30 is another matter, that is a bit tricky.

Old 08-20-2004, 02:18 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Lakedude:

___Remember Hypermileage is more then just meeting your target but creaming it to the best of your abilities. Your last tank shows you are on your way so just keep it up and you are set. With that, since I have no real good way to get a good read as to highway/city, I give everyone the benefit of the doubt and just take the average or EPA’s combined. This actually hurts Prius II drivers in particular and I wish there was a way to just say 51 mpg for them and making them are a hypermiler. Your Vetter on the other hand with more highway then city should receive in all actuality at least 25. Just imagine the HCH driver living in downtown San Fran. It doesn’t matter who is driving, EPA combined is going to be an almost impossibility. I drove an 04 Le Sabre through that nightmare at rush last month and boy was I careful to attempt to keep my averages up. It was almost impossible so keep that in mind. You are on the saving grace end of the EPA combined. Some others are not. Prius II drivers and those in the inner city w/ regular ICE based automobiles in particular are really screwed.

___Just keep up the great and cautious driving. Once you have it down in your Vette (believe me, you do), you will have it down in most every other automobile you drive with game gauge or not. Isn’t it nice to know you are receiving the fuel economy of many Corolla and Civic pilots but have the capability to run with a Viper

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net