Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Need some statistical figures I can't find

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 01:39 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Need some statistical figures I can't find

I know I've seen these figures posted somewhere but can't recall.

You know, the
"If everyone increased thier driving efficiency just 10% it would save x billions of barrels"

or more statistical information like

"If everyone's vehicle just did 5MPG better then we'd be independant from the Middle-East. An individual can save thousands of $$ each year in gas savings"
Are there any reference links that might be provided?

My plan is to make a poster to hang at the proverbial water cooler at work and a few other select places. Everyone constantly complains about gas prices and ignorantly just keep pumping at the same consumption rate.
"My car just does what it does and it cain't do no more" attitude.

I need to make the message easy to digest for most folks, and nothing nutty or activist like "Save the Earth, Dump your SUV and drive more efficiently"
Not that the statement is all wrong, but it needs to be appealing so even the poor SAP who just laid down the $$$ for his new Explorer can get exited about it.
Almost everyone is blissfully ignorant for not knowing they could save some big $$ in driving what they currently drive, if they only were aware, and willing to make an effort.

Perhaps the effort part is asking too much?

Any poster ideas?
What would YOUR poster say?

Jason,
I'll also be sure to include a GreenHybrid reference to more information on detailed driving tips.
There hasen't ever been a larger group of experienced fuel efficient drivers than us "Hi-Birds" for the dumb masses to learn from!

Old 03-06-2005, 01:42 PM
Site Founder

I think your best bet is to find statistics on how much oil/gas is imported. Then take 90% of that and you'd have your statistic, etc. When I have some time I'll try and help you out. Busy at the moment.

Old 03-06-2005, 02:43 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I wish all vehicles would come equipped with some type of fuel consumption display or gauge.
I believe if you knew what your driving habits were doing to the MPGs, you would drive differently.

How much savings could that provide? And not at much cost.

Old 03-06-2005, 04:20 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi All:

___Some … I mean most simply don’t care

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2124

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net