Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Need'n tips on HOW to increase my milage without creating ROAD RAGE

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 12:40 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Need'n tips on HOW to increase my milage without creating ROAD RAGE

Thanks njkayaker:
I don't think, though, there are any cars that compare (at a significantly lower price) to the Prius (for example) which actually "beat the pants off it" mpg-wise.
See what the non-hybrid drivers are doing in this log:
http://www.cleanmpg.com/index.php?page=garage

basjoos in his 1992 Honda Civic CX who averages 69.7mpg
krousdb with his 1992 Honda HB VX and gets 69.4mpg
andy gets 56mpg in his 2004 VOLKSWAGEN JETTA

It's not how rich or poor someone is which dictates MPG but rather habits one retains...or changes.
For example someone could buy a Civic Dx manual everything at rock-bottom prices and well into the 40's to 50's MPG, and the right driver under the right condition could make it into the mid-upper 60's.

There are many HCH and Prius drivers in our GH database that for what ever reason get 30's and 40's MPG. Could be their terrain, traffic, or just plain don't mind the lower numbers. If they are happy with it then I am too....
But what I'm saying is driving habit is 80% of the MPG.

I'm not wildly rich nor dirt poor and choose to plod along in the Right lane generally 3-5MPH slower than the next lane. If I had a DX instead of a HCH or cheap no-frills Corolla I'd likely be in the upper 50's to lower 60's MPG as well.
Or I could run with the pack in the middle lanes and get 30's to 40's, or fly in the Left lanes and get 20's.
-Steve

Old 08-11-2006, 01:05 PM
Part Time Hybrids

Unlike many posts i'll directly answer your question:
To increase milage while on a freeway for example just drive slower! Stay the speed limit in the far right lane or middle lane. Unless im mistaken the middle lane is the travel lane so if you just cruise along at 65 mph (speed limit here in CT) then your fine. Its the responsibility of the other drivers who decide to speed to go around you. Unless an 18 wheeler is behind you Don't sweat it, If they decide to be an jerk and tailgate or hover on the horn or highbeams then its their issue. Staying steady in one lane at speed limit allows you to maintain a constant speed with little need to press the gas which is the best way to save gas over freeway driving.
-Although note this doesn't seem to save me from hybrid snob rage. On many occations i'll have a prius rush ahead then merge in front of me anmd start doing 2mph less than my speed! Nothing like seeing the ugly behind of a prius for an hour commute!

Old 08-11-2006, 01:07 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004

See what the non-hybrid drivers are doing in this log:
http://www.cleanmpg.com/index.php?page=garage

basjoos in his 1992 Honda Civic CX who averages 69.7mpg
krousdb with his 1992 Honda HB VX and gets 69.4mpg
andy gets 56mpg in his 2004 VOLKSWAGEN JETTA
Well, the diesel Jetta is a ringer! The numbers for the Honda are astonishing! Both Hondas are two seaters (not very practical for most people) except as a second car.

It's not how rich or poor someone is which dictates MPG but rather habits one retains...or changes.
This really is not related to my point. Higher gas prices screw poor people regardless of what they drive and what mpg they get. If they happen to be driving something with OK mpg, and gas prices shoot up, then they have to buy a used high-mpg car that will have a premium on it and dump something that will have less value. It doesn't make sense to me to want higher gas prices. I certainly don't want to spend more. It's a wierd assumption to make that higher gas prices are "good for everybody" when that clearly isn't the case!

Increased gas prices also cause the price of other things to go up (yet more ways of screwing poor people).

You'd get no argument from me that high-mpg cars are a good thing! My point is that high gas prices might not work that well at encouraging people to buy high-mpg cars but it will certainly screw poor people.

For example someone could buy a Civic Dx manual everything at rock-bottom prices and well into the 40's to 50's MPG, and the right driver under the right condition could make it into the mid-upper 60's.
A new Civic DX is $14k. Not something a poor person would buy. If it is relatively easy to attain such mpg, then hybrids don't make a lot of sense.

There are many HCH and Prius drivers in our GH database that for what ever reason get 30's and 40's MPG.
Nah, such numbers are criminal!

But what I'm saying is driving habit is 80% of the MPG.
Habit is important (maybe not quite 80%). The tool is crucial also.

I'm not wildly rich nor dirt poor and choose to plod along in the Right lane generally 3-5MPH slower than the next lane.
Anybody who can afford a new Prius is fairly well-off (maybe not wealthy). Keep in mind that I'm simplifying things a bit.

If I had a DX instead of a HCH or cheap no-frills Corolla I'd likely be in the upper 50's to lower 60's MPG as well.
It would be very interesting to see what you could do with these! Personally, I don't think anybody would be able to squeeze those mpg out of these (but you'd be a good canditate for proving me wrong).

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-11-2006 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:41 PM
Active Enthusiast

[QUOTE=njkayaker] The numbers for the Honda are astonishing! Both Hondas are two seaters (not very practical for most people) except as a second car.
QUOTE]

The 92 honda Civic HB seats 4 easily (and has seat belts for 5 people). Us po' folks who can't afford the fancy new hybrids have to drive 14 year old FE cars with over 400,000 miles on them to reduce our fuel bills. Mine gives me up to 92MPG through a combination of the drag reduction mods I have installed (the mods paid for themselves in gas savings in less than 4000 miles of driving) and fuel efficient driving techniques.

Old 08-14-2006, 07:53 AM
Enthusiast

[QUOTE=basjoos]
Originally Posted by njkayaker
The numbers for the Honda are astonishing! Both Hondas are two seaters (not very practical for most people) except as a second car.
QUOTE]

The 92 honda Civic HB seats 4 easily (and has seat belts for 5 people). Us po' folks who can't afford the fancy new hybrids have to drive 14 year old FE cars with over 400,000 miles on them to reduce our fuel bills. Mine gives me up to 92MPG through a combination of the drag reduction mods I have installed (the mods paid for themselves in gas savings in less than 4000 miles of driving) and fuel efficient driving techniques.
I confused the CX with the CRX (a two seater).

Impressive work.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=68272#15

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-14-2006 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

[QUOTE=basjoos]
The numbers for the Honda are astonishing! Both Hondas are two seaters (not very practical for most people) except as a second car.
QUOTE]

I know alot of po' folks and the hybrids aren't on the list of cars to get. It's the Navigators, Expeditions, Tahoes and any other car you can fit 20's or larger rims on. Example my GF owns a building one of the tenants is slow paying rent however, manages to purchase a Range Rover. Go figure.

Old 08-14-2006, 08:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RickWorth
Do any of you HyperMilers cause road-rage via slow take-offs or substandard accellerations? I am not trying to be abrasive in my question. I have a Prius, and the only way I can see getting the kind of milage I read some of you tout would be to accellerate very slowly (using only the battery) and then somehow maintaining that "sweet-spot" in speed where the battery does the majority of the workload. This would mean often-times driving at a rate that would more than likely irritate everyone else on the road. In short, I need to find out your secrets...
With all the information on this site there aren't to many secrets. What kind of mpg are you getting now? I'm sure the Prius owners have a hypermiling article start by reading it/them then when you drive try to apply what you read. Then do your own experiements and find the niches of your daily commute. As you learn the car you will find that you can either get good, great or are you driving a moped mileage.

Some of the folks are getting crazy mileage out of their cars through discipline beyond what is normal.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:53 PM
Enthusiast

$8 a gallon gas is going to do nothing to change this in any useful way. It will, though, make them poorer. Why would anybody want that? A rise in gas prices won't appreciably change the behavior of people who can afford $50k Hummers (ie, wealthy people). I suspect that rapidly rising gas prices will have the largest impact on middle class people looking for new cars (ie, people who can afford to buy Priuses).
Likely true, driving behavior not likely change so long as there is supply. But, if the supply was literally restricted to rationaling (remember those lines in the early 70s?) Then behavior will definitely change..and with our hybrids we can certainly achieve far greater range on a full tank than an average car and certainly a typical SUV. Problem with the furious global demand for oil, rationaling will probably take place sooner than later. I would seriously think about checking out electric vehicles in the not too distant future...

Last edited by Doughboy; 05-14-2008 at 10:55 PM.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:53 PM

I've been hypermiling since Jan 2004 and the only time I ever saw road rage was the two days of SHEER HELL that I went through when I put a sticker on my rear bumper that said "I get 65MPG...You?" I removed that sticker and instantly back to normal.
-Steve
Steve,
I was thinking along those same lines, or "I'm hypermiling...You?" or "Hypermiling Happens." Then my local magnetic sign person suggested "Green Car; Not to exceed 55" So far, so good, it is reflective green so when lights are on I shouldn't get rear ended. I'll keep you posted. I put up a photo of it tonight, but it hasn't uploaded.
Rockn Roland