Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Fuel Economy & Emissions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/)
-   -   New Clean Diesel Emissions Versus Hybrid Emissions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/new-clean-diesel-emissions-versus-hybrid-emissions-23491/)

Rastin 12-16-2009 09:55 AM

New Clean Diesel Emissions Versus Hybrid Emissions

I am new to this and am trying to research the difference in emission levels between the newer "clean diesel" options available right now like the Audi A3 TDI (which can run B5 Biodiesel) and vehicles like the new Toyota Prius Gen. 3. I have seen C02 emissions for the Prius listed at 89 g/km, at 97 g/km, I have seen the Audi at 119 g/km, 163 g/km and the EPA website has it listed as emitting 4.96 tons of C02 per year if driven 15k miles per year.

Really what I would like is some kind of reference that I can use to find as close to the exact emission levels of these cars as possible. That way I compare them and can do so with the knowledge that the sources used aren't just pulling numbers from anywhere. Any and all help would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks

jdenenberg 01-30-2010 10:48 AM

Re: New Clean Diesel Emissions Versus Hybrid Emissions

You can easily calculate the relative CO2 emitted using MPG. Just remember that a gallon of diesel fuel contains more carbon than a gallon of gasoline.

You must also look at the REAL pollution components (nitrogen and sulfur compound) which are significantly higher in the diesels (even the new ones) than in a low emission vehicle like the Prius.

durallymax 02-21-2010 06:41 PM

Sulfur emissions are much lower but still exist on new diesels. CO emissions are much lower on diesels as well. NOX is nearly completely gone on new diesels due to selective catalyst reduction which turns the NOX into Nitrogen and water by injecting urea into the exhaust.

While diesel fuel has more carbon it also has more energy making it a more efficient fuel. Also all new diesels are B100 ready, only difference is that manufactures wont always stand behind them. Biodiesel is readily available (compared to E85) and can be made from anything.

In addition diesels energy efficiency is much higher than any gasoline engine will ever reach. The reason diesels are so efficient is that they only use as much fuel as they need, unlike a gasoline engine which uses air as the throttle.

Comparing a plain diesel to a hybrid gasoline is apples to oranges. Diesel hybrids really need to be brought over to the US, then in my opinion we will slowly see the death of the inefficient gasoline engine.

Macwill22 03-03-2010 04:49 AM

Sorry to bump the thread, but I am looking for personal experiences with each type of car....or can someone recommend a good active auto message board?

durallymax 03-03-2010 04:57 PM

I dont have a new 2010 diesel, but have driven them. They still have that diesel "pull" but are much cleaner and quieter.