Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

New Mariner Software = Worse Fuel Econ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 07:21 PM
Enthusiast
Default New Mariner Software = Worse Fuel Econ?

I recently took my AWD MM off road and it literally stopped in the middle of climbing a steep (20+% grade) hill. I took the vehicle into the shop and they "updated to the latest software." I haven't gone back to see if it climbs any better, but I notice 2 things. Electric-only mode is now rare, and pretty much only for a very brief time starting out and on slight downhills. I also now get 29.5 mpg instead of 32.5 mpg. Any ideas what's going on here? Are there by chance ways for owners to change software at home so that they can have one version for driving around town (which the vehicle was fine for before the reprogram) and then off-road (which is rare)?
'
Thanks!
pwreconomist

Old 06-13-2008, 08:19 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New Mariner Software = Worse Fuel Econ?

I was think the same thing when I search this and found your post. If we can change computer chips, there must be a way to get into the computer and change how soon the engine kicks on.

I have heard reports that the battery only lasts a mile, but I completely disagree as I can drive further on just battery, but even if I had to put in a second battery to be able to do this, I would. If I could keep the engine from coming on until 45mph or under hard acceleration. If I could make this adjustment, I could easily achieve +40mpg, possible even 50.

Old 06-14-2008, 04:05 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pwreconomist
I recently took my AWD MM off road and it literally stopped in the middle of climbing a steep (20+% grade) hill. I took the vehicle into the shop and they "updated to the latest software." I haven't gone back to see if it climbs any better, but I notice 2 things. Electric-only mode is now rare, and pretty much only for a very brief time starting out and on slight downhills. I also now get 29.5 mpg instead of 32.5 mpg. Any ideas what's going on here? Are there by chance ways for owners to change software at home so that they can have one version for driving around town (which the vehicle was fine for before the reprogram) and then off-road (which is rare)?
'
Thanks!
pwreconomist
What year is your Mariner? Can you post the information provided by the "shop" (what shop was it?) in regards to the "updated software"? If you got stopped off-road, then how did you get the vehicle out? Did a tow truck go off road and pull it out?

Old 06-14-2008, 06:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

Are you calculating your MPG by hand, ScanGuage, or on board display?