Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

non-hybrid FE question

Old 01-29-2006, 09:13 AM
Enthusiast
Default non-hybrid FE question

I know this is a hybrid forum but I've done some google searches and haven't found any forums dealing with FE for non-hybrid vehicles.

I know the general basics as for trying to maximize your mileage(tire pressure, slower speeds, no jack rabbit starts, coasting to lights/down hills etc) but I'm confused by something. I've often heard(and it's said here alot) to keep RPM's down.

I drive a 2003 Hyundai Elentra GT(please no jokes) that is completely stock. For some reason when I try to keep my RPM's down around 2000 my mileage suffers compared to driving with it between 2200-2500 RPM. This means in the city driving about 41mph in 4th gear(2200 RPM) or 61mph in 5th(2500 RPM) on the freeway or interstate. Heck it seems like driving 65mph at 2800 RPM I get better gas mileage than 41mph at 2200 RPM.

My car has a 14 gallon tank according to the specs but I've NEVER been able to put that much gas in it even when driving to the point I'm on fumes. I figure my mileage manually since the car says I get 28mpg yet I've never gone less than 420 miles between fillups and have never put more than 13.5 gallons in the tank. Just last week I filled up(took 13.2 gallons) and I've driven 471 miles(I've got to fill up today since I'm sure I won't make it home otherwise lol).

So I have 2 questions,

Is it possible the powerband on this car just simply prefers a little higher RPM range? Maybe just lacks any power at all down below 2000RPM is why I seem to get better mileage above 2200 RPM?

Is it common for a car to give a reading that far off as far for MPG? I mean for me to go 420 miles using 14 gallons the gauge should read 30mpg and I regularly go 450 miles and normally put right at 13 gallons in the tank. Even if today when I fill up I end up putting 14 gallons in the tank(not likely at all) I'd be getting 33mpg, not 28 like the gauge says. If it makes a difference I NEVER clear the MPG gauge. I did one time about 8 months ago thinking maybe resetting it would get me an accurate number.

Thanks for any thoughts,
Brad

Old 01-29-2006, 09:27 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: non-hybrid FE question

If you've never cleared the gauge, that means it's giving you a lifetime reading of your MPG. I reset mine everytime I fill up so I know what I got for that tank. I keep my lifetime MPG on GreenHybrid.

Old 01-29-2006, 10:32 AM
World's First Hybrid

Hi Brad,
I think it would be safe to say that driving between 40-60mph with no stop and go is where most engines feel comfortable and will give you better fuel economy, hybrids/non-hybrids included. If you have a Trip A and Trip B odometer, you can leave one alone to record lifetime MPG's and the other you can reset with each tank. Just keep in mind that the trip odometer may reset to 0 after a certain number of miles depending on its resolution. The more miles/tanks you have recorded, the closer the MPG's should be to the EPA rating. It's the law of averages.

Ralph

Old 01-29-2006, 12:11 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

--

Last edited by xcel; 12-02-2007 at 06:00 PM.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:52 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BDixon
I drive a 2003 Hyundai Elentra GT(please no jokes) that is completely stock.
We only make jokes about people who drive SUVs, plastered with "Support The Troops" magnets, who don't recognize the irony.

Old 02-09-2006, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Different cars have different RPM ranges where they are "happy". My Vette for example has spent most of its life below 1000 RPM in 6th gear. My MT HCH never goes under 1000 RPM because it lack the torque to move the car so it must make up for it with RPMs.

Check out the Vette at:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/...e/car/327.html

Your car is much more powerful than my HCH but not nearly as powerful as the Vette so I imagine it should be happy somewhere in between. I highly doubt your car gets better mileage at 60 than it does at 40-45. If you count your time and trouble it may make more sense to drive faster but almost for sure you will save gas by driving slower. The biggest factor on mileage at high speeds is aerodynamic drag. Aerodynamic drag goes up with the square of speed. There is over twice the aerodynamic drag at 60 as there is at 40 hence the reason for my doubt.

Perhaps you could be more careful with the throttle at the lower speed and only use enough gas to keep the car moving. Stomping on the throttle in high gear at low speed is going to eat gas and not really make the car move any faster.

good luck