Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

playing with numbers, EPA estimates, and randomness

Old 12-19-2005, 02:51 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default playing with numbers, EPA estimates, and randomness

I followed this link in someone's reply in another thread about EPA testing.
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/how_tested.shtml
... Other than noticing how easy of a job that is for their 'professional' driver and I would love to earn that persons pay for playing with cars all day ...
I never knew they reduced thier estimates since the 80's by 10% for city and 22% for highway. That would put the Insight before the adjustment (.9x=60) 66.7 city and (.78x=66) 84.6 highway (and around 65 hwy for HCH II). that would mean the hypermilers are getting close to the uncorrected EPA mileage.
So ... if the EPA changes the tests soon to mimic current driving conditions - higher highway speeds, more accurate city driving, use of accessories ... will they keep the corrective %?
that will make the new hybrid driver (most with heavy right feet and without FE computers on the cars they trade in) more appreciative of the economy they get compared to the previous car.
BUT ... I am afraid that meeting estimates will keep some from trying to achieve better... that when people get under the EPA they learn to look within themselves and how they treat thier car, thus driving a little slower and safer ... making it better for everyone ('safer' accidents , less emissions, less fuel consumption, AND a happier, longer lasting car from less wear/tear/abuse).
Although I also believe that in general it does become addictive to most drivers of Hybrids to try and do better than they did last tank with all the feedback availible from the guages. It becomes an obsession to keep the bar at the highest rating possible under current conditions. trying to drive for efficiency in normal cars just isn't as appealing other than to extremely 'green' minded people (earthly or monetary).
Just some random thoughts and ramblings while i was suffering from insomnia maybe i helped someone fall asleep in my place lol
take care everyone and have fun!!!

Old 12-20-2005, 03:09 PM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default Re: playing with numbers, EPA estimates, and randomness

Originally Posted by bluesesshomaru17
... Other than noticing how easy of a job that is for their 'professional' driver and I would love to earn that persons pay for playing with cars all day ...

LOL, I hear you! I'd probably be willing to do the same job for less than they're paying him!

Old 12-20-2005, 11:35 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: playing with numbers, EPA estimates, and randomness

I bet that having a "normal" driving test, without corrections, would yield much more accurate numbers than an "easy" test with point reduction, simply because certain types of cars have different "sweet spots" than others, or perhaps some can handle acceleration differently (variable valve timing etc.) so as a result, the more intense testing may lower the MPG on some cars more than the current correction factor does, and others less. I'm guessing this may lead to lower numbers on the hybrids moreso than the non-hybrids. However, the end result should be much more useful for 95% of the drivers in actually comparing what they might expect a car to really get.