Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Fuel Economy & Emissions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/)
-   -   Poll: For High MPG'ers only (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/fuel-economy-emissions-22/poll-high-mpgers-only-6411/)

tarabell 03-16-2006 12:53 PM

Poll: For High MPG'ers only

Please only post in this poll if your car is in the database and you are currently beating the median mpg.
Answers are anonymous.

Pravus Prime 03-16-2006 12:58 PM

Re: Poll: For Hypermilers only

It's not really a poll, now is it? More of a Roll Call.

Anyway. Aye.

bwilson4web 03-16-2006 10:57 PM

Re: Poll: For High MPG'ers only

What happens is I'm thinking about how to make hyper-mileage driving automatic:

1) Pulse-and-glide - a modified cruise control that handles 'feathering.'
2) Cold 'auto-stop' - a modified hybrid vehicle control law that turns off the ICE when stopped even during the warm-up phase.
3) Improved situational status - rear and side sensors to make it easier to maintain fuel efficient speeds by avoiding, rear-rushing traffic.

Bob Wilson

tarabell 03-17-2006 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
What happens is I'm thinking about how to make hyper-mileage driving automatic: 1) Pulse-and-glide - a modified cruise control that handles 'feathering.'

Bob--would you mind explaining the term "feathering"? It's not in the glossary. Thanks.

finman 03-17-2006 09:37 AM

Feathering: For the Prius anyway it means adjusting the accelerator pedal ever so slightly as to get a 'free-glide' of the car. No regen (to slow u down), no EV from battery to wheels, and no engine on...no mechancal propulsion, just kinetic energy (momentum) and gravity. Think soap-box derby coasting! Not sure if the Honda IMA is capable of this sort of coasting...

singingtiger 03-17-2006 07:10 PM

My thoughts are similar to Pravus Prime in that the question is more of a confirmation.
:cocktail:

tarabell 03-17-2006 08:20 PM

I would expect the hypermilers to think the response is obvious.
I'm not sure it's as obvious to all the new hybrid owners or those who are just starting to think about improving their FE. ;)

Pravus Prime 03-17-2006 08:44 PM

I still haven't answered, because it's changed.

When I first got my FEH, it was all the time, a constant thought about optimization and experimentation to get the best possible MPGs.

At this point, I still think about it, but it's more of a reflexive instinct when I'm driving.

sweetbeet 03-18-2006 06:53 AM

How does "almost all the time" differ from "frequently, but not every minute"? Of course there are times when traffic, road conditions, etc. must get a few cycles... not to mention a sip of coffee, or adjustment of the radio... where is the cutoff between answers #1 and 2? I think personal interpretation will affect which of these one chooses.

IMAhybrid 03-18-2006 06:59 AM

I answered Pretty frequently but not every minute but I feel like I could have also answered Infrequently or never – my hypermiling habits are ingrained & don't think much about it. When I'm on the highway I just set my cruise so I don't have to do anything, and that's where I do the majority of my driving. In the city I look at my FCD often but I don't find myself having to make corrections all the time.