Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Poor mileage

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 02:47 PM
Engineering first
Question Re: Poor mileage

Originally Posted by Pravus Prime
. . .
I'm not entirely sure, but if you sell your vehicle within the same year of purchase, you don't get the tax rebate, as that's the conditional of the incentive. . .
Would that be just to keep it during that taxable year? If so, one could buy a hybrid Dec. 31 for the tax credit and sell it January 2. Of course it would be a 'used car' at that point but one virutally new . . . without the tax credit.

Bob Wilson

Old 03-21-2006, 03:47 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Poor mileage

I also own a Highlander hybrid, now with 8K miles, and get between 21 and 25 mpg, averaging about 23 mpg for mixed city/hiwy driving. Milage definitely poorer in colder weather, but the best I ever get in nice weather is 24-25 mpg. Have met with the Toyota factory rep and his take was pretty much "tough luck, that's the way it is..." They are not willing to consider doing anything to compensate me for having spent $6500 extra to have a hybrid which is only marginally better in fuel economy than a 6 cyl gas vehicle. He did point out my emissions are lower, so I keep reminding myself when I refill the tank every 360 miles or so. I've read these vehicles are not selling as well as expected. If I had it to do over, I would NOT buy this vehicle.

Old 03-22-2006, 05:29 AM
World's First Hybrid

Originally Posted by jruhlen
I also own a Highlander hybrid, now with 8K miles, and get between 21 and 25 mpg, averaging about 23 mpg for mixed city/hiwy driving. Milage definitely poorer in colder weather, but the best I ever get in nice weather is 24-25 mpg. Have met with the Toyota factory rep and his take was pretty much "tough luck, that's the way it is..." They are not willing to consider doing anything to compensate me for having spent $6500 extra to have a hybrid which is only marginally better in fuel economy than a 6 cyl gas vehicle. He did point out my emissions are lower, so I keep reminding myself when I refill the tank every 360 miles or so. I've read these vehicles are not selling as well as expected. If I had it to do over, I would NOT buy this vehicle.
My apology for an off thread rant ......but.....

This again, reminds me of why people should only buy a sport utility vehicle if you need it to haul stuff like boats, trailers, trash and only use it as a secondary vehicle for its intended purpose. Not to drive to and fro around town for short errands, taxi service for neighbors kids, back and forth to work at the office.....

I'm as guilty as the rest because I almost always have owned SUV's in the past, but my work commute was only 10 miles round trip and most times I rode my bike. Only used my SUV for weekend ski, camping, canoe trips with lots of gear. IMHO, most people who buy an SUV should also have an alternate more FE/Green vehicle for everyday use....But this is the good old USA and people want that false sense of safety a larger vehicle supposedly provides so they sacrifice FE for creature comforts.....

Old 03-22-2006, 07:07 AM
Prius geek

Would people buy a 4-cyl HiHy? Not as much towing, lower price (hopefully) and better mileage. How many HiHy drivers are using it to tow 4500 lbs.? I think the performance hybrid has been proven to be less popular than the frugal hybrid. I love the idea that owning a hybrid means not sacrificing "performance", but sheesh, taking a V-6 and ADDING to it sems to defeat the purpose of a hybrid as I see it, IMO. I don't see having your cake and eating it too here. Unless you really NEED all that power and towing to tote milk to and from the store???

Old 03-22-2006, 07:11 AM
Prius geek

As a PS to my previous post...many people opt for a 4WD vehicle due to their supposed need to have it for 3 days out of the year. In that case, you have just SUV choices in hybrid form (Escape, HiHy, Lexus). For 80-90% of people's needs, a 4-cyl hybrid would be great in an AWD form. People love the idea of my Prius, but looked elsewhere when they learn it's front-drive only.

C'mon, Toyota, get an affordable, practical, AWD smaller hybrid out there and u have a market...not to mention a hybrid mini-van...how long do we have to wait...

Old 03-22-2006, 01:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jruhlen
I don't think HiHys are on the lots because they don't get the MPGs that the EPA tested it at. *No* automobile does unless you go to certain distances to hypermile (e.g., over-inflating your tires, pulse & glide, driving at or under speed limits, etc). I wouldn't offer a refund or credit for something that is entirely up to the driver either, though I would hope I had the capacity to educate my customer better than it appears your dealer has.

I think there are HiHys on the lots because it's a market 'tweener. Our 2WD HiHy Limited was $39.6K. People who have ~$40K to spend on an SUV are in Lexus RX330 territory. Many people who shop in that territory don't want to take a step "down" to Toyota. Whether or not they end up buying an RX330 instead of a HiHy, or kick in even more $$ to get the RX400h, I don't know. In our case, my fiancee would have gotten the RX330, a Nissan Murano, or the Acura TL, had she not gotten the HiHy. All of which, with options of her choosing, were within a few thousand of each other.

As for your 24-25mpg in nice weather -- that's a 20% decrease in the EPA figures (for 2WD, since you didn't specify which you have). By many accounts, most cars can expect to get 15 to 20% less than the EPA numbers. The non-hybrid 6CYL 2WD Limited is EPA rated at 22MPG in 50/50 driving. 20% below that and you're at 17.6MPG. From 17.6mpg to your 23-25mpg is a 33%-43% increase in mpg over what you may expect in the non-hybrid. I'm not sure I would consider that marginal. If people are expecting Civic-like 30-40MPG from a 4000lb+ SUV, then they're expecting too much and might want to, as ralph dog suggests, reconsider their need for an SUV in the first place. At the end of the day, it's still an SUV and just like any other SUV, is limited by... size, weight & aerodynamics.

Rick

Old 03-22-2006, 02:32 PM
Enthusiast

Actually, I agree with you. However, when we bought it, I thought we could have good fuel ecomomy AND the size and carrying capacity of a mid-sized SUV. I do have a large vegetable garden in an adjacent town, and haul a fair amount of stuff back and forth, so the SUV is not just for commuting and non-hauling errands. My main point in posting was that Toyota doesn't deliver the fuel ecomony we were led to expect when we bought the vehicle, and they are unwilling to do anything to compensate us for the shortfall; just wanted to let other prospective buyers know of our experience with this vehicle, and do recognize there is unit-to-unit variation in this regard, "your milage may vary".

Old 03-22-2006, 04:07 PM
Go Army!

I'm afraid I don't understand what kind of compensation you should get. They'd have to give every customer of every vehicle they sell some kind of compensation for any lack of satisfaction. That's just not going to happen.

Old 03-22-2006, 04:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Harleyman
I bought my Highlander Hybrid on June 6th 2005 because I drive a lot of miles, I now have 28,000 miles on it. I love everything about it except the MPG, I have printouts from Toyota that says up to 600 miles per tank, the most I have got is 392 and that was at 50mph on a calm day. Since day one I have kept track of the MPG and over the 28,000 miles we average 23, not even close to what they addvertise. I am trading it in next week, I paid $44,152
9 months ago and they say they have a hard time selling them now and only allowed $29,000 on a trade for a regular Highlander, thats a loss of over $15,000 in only 9 months(not including payments), doesn't speak very good for Toyota. The only thing our local dealer says is, it should do better than that.

Thanks
Harleyman
Unfortunatly you are not going to get much sympathy from this Hybrid apologist crowd. I feel your pain, cut your losses and consider it Hybrid Lesson learned.

Old 03-22-2006, 05:27 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Harleyman
I realize the BIG hit on $$ but need to get out before I get to many miles on it so I can get it traded, in this area a vehicle needs to be traded before 30,000 miles to get a good trade. The way it looks to me is that the Highlander Hybrids are NOT selling and just sitting in show rooms. The good point is that we got a $4,000 tax credit for buying a Hybrid. We love the vehicle but we can drive the same vehicle on a lot less money invested if we get a gas engine. If it would get at least 27mpg it would of paid to keep it. My friend gets better gas mileage with his 6cyl that I do with a Hybrid (same vehicle) lot cheaper.
Thanks
Harleyman
Considering that the supposed "anti-hybrid" Consumer Reports got even worse at 22mpg hybrid and 19mpg gas you're not doing bad at 23. Your not to far from the 25.3 average here. The Highlander is not beating the EPA estimate by anyone here best overall being 29.8, isn't it 31/27 city/highway? I doubt your friend, why don't you 2 swap vehicles for a tank.

I see no reason to take a huge bath selling now, stay the course you'll still come out ahead, selling is your worst option financially. Your mistake was the initial purchase and it's to late to correct that. But if you always sell before 30,000 then you don't seem that concerned with the financials.

Quick Reply: Poor mileage

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands