Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

A potential problem with plug-in hybrids.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 06:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default A potential problem with plug-in hybrids.

I made a joke in another thread that got me thinking about this. Many people think the next step is a plug-in hybrid. You can drive 60-100 miles a day on a charge and the ICE is only used for longer trips that will deplete the battery. It's conceivable that people that use these cars as commuters will only drive signifcantly less than 60 miles per day. That would mean there's no reason for the ICE to start.

For anyone who's left gas in a lawnmower over the winter you have to realize that's not good for an engine. How will the automakers overcome this? Will you have to add gas stabilizer every so often? Will they have the ICE turn on when the engine's cold like it does now?

Old 08-10-2006, 07:08 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: A potential problem with plug-in hybrids.

The gas thing is an issue, though the early PHEV-10s and PHEV-20s will probably still get through enough gas over a month for it not to be a problem.

When the next-gen PHEVs (50s and 100s) come, then yes, I think they will have to offer a reformulated gasoline or add a gas stabiliser.

The issue of the engine itself not seeing enough use shouldn't be an issue because PHEVs will be programmed to force engine on, regardless of battery charge, maybe once every two-weeks just to keep everything oiled up and moving.

Old 08-10-2006, 09:10 AM
Enthusiastically Active

Does diesel last longer in a tank?

Otherwise, the car's computer programming could be set to use the gas engine occassionally to ensure that the fuel doesn't get stale.

Last edited by Archslater; 08-10-2006 at 09:23 AM.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:15 AM
Engineering first
Talking Re: A potential problem with plug-in hybrids.

Originally Posted by Orcrone
. . .
For anyone who's left gas in a lawnmower over the winter you have to realize that's not good for an engine. How will the automakers overcome this? Will you have to add gas stabilizer every so often? Will they have the ICE turn on when the engine's cold like it does now?
What a nice problem to have.

Bob Wilson

Old 08-10-2006, 09:39 AM

Someone please make me have that problem. Heck, it would be a good excuse to take a long trip once a month....

"Oh, I need to drive up to Boston for the weekend so all the extra gas that my car isn't buring doesn't spoil."

Old 08-10-2006, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Orcrone
For anyone who's left gas in a lawnmower over the winter you have to realize that's not good for an engine. How will the automakers overcome this? Will you have to add gas stabilizer every so often?
If you don't add gas stabilizer to your lawnmower/weedwacker before winter - you are taking a chance on it running at all next spring. Likewise, when I had a motorhome, I always added stabilizer to the last fillup before getting home. Never knew how long it would sit before going out again. It just made common sense

I think if someone is willing to use a plug-in hybrid, they wouldn't be bothered by adding a gas additive. Not much difference really between adding a gas stabilizer vs fuel injector cleaner.

Old 08-10-2006, 10:04 AM
Engineering first
Talking Re: A potential problem with plug-in hybrids.

Originally Posted by nash
. . .
I think if someone is willing to use a plug-in hybrid, they wouldn't be bothered by adding a gas additive. Not much difference really between adding a gas stabilizer vs fuel injector cleaner.
Ok, you get in your car and if you haven't filled up in say 6 months, a reminder voice comes up:

"Please take a nice long weekend drive at least 300 miles out of town and then refuel."

Ok, second option. You get in the car and the voice says:

"To maintain optimum vehicle emissions, EV mode is unavailable until the current tank is efficiently consumed."

Ok, third option. You get in the car and a warning code comes up:

"Please take your car to the dealer for stale fuel exchange."

Ok, fourth option, You get in the car and a message comes up:

"Please call Bob Wilson, <my number>, for a fuel quality test."

What a nice, nice problem to have!

Bob Wilson

Old 08-10-2006, 11:27 AM
Prof. of Hybridology

Originally Posted by Tim K
Someone please make me have that problem. Heck, it would be a good excuse to take a long trip once a month....

Indeed, I'd like to share that pain.

Old 08-15-2006, 08:44 AM

this problem would very easily be solved by an automatic fuel stabilizer dispenser. Heck, some lawnmowers come with a cap that automatically adds a drop now and then. I'm sure the car makers could come up with a more advanced method but this should be a no-brainer that is more environmentally friendly than periodically having to waste gas so it doesn't go bad.

I have some two+ year old gas that I put stabil in and it still runs all the tools fine. The fuel preserver is cheap and as far as I can tell, it doesn't go bad (makes sense...).

I think the "auto start" feature would be a problem, especially for cars kept in garages. Probably never see a system that starts a car without some owner action.

"Oh, I need to drive up to Boston for the weekend so all the extra gas that my car isn't buring doesn't spoil."
Tim K, bring some cheesesteaks with you. I'll trade you some good Philly sandwiches for some nasty bottom feeding lobsters that my fellow New Englanders go crazy for.

Old 08-31-2006, 03:18 AM
Enthusiast

Interesting thought. I am so waiting for for someone, almost certainly Toyota, to come out with a plug-in car that I can drive back and forth to work w/o using the ICE at all. Plug in hybrids will let people drive their Hummer and be green too. But it would be a travesty to end up wasting 30 or 40 gallons of fuel. Clett's right, they will have to come up with a more durable fuel.

Quick Reply: A potential problem with plug-in hybrids.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands