Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

President continues to give 'thumbs up' for biodiesel

Old 05-16-2005, 12:44 PM
Ohio BIODZL Driver
Default President continues to give 'thumbs up' for biodiesel

I know this is a hybrid site ... but I'm hoping to see development in the hybrid biodiesel powered vehicles. Still waiting but in the mean time I'll let you guys refine the hybrids while I work on promoting on the biodiesel side.

President Promotes Alternative Energies

Monday, May 16, 2005

WEST POINT, Va. — With gasoline prices soaring, President Bush urged Congress on Monday to encourage development of alternate fuels like biodiesel and ethanol (search) to make the United States less dependent on foreign oil.

"Our dependence on foreign oil is like a foreign tax on the American dream, and that tax is growing every year," Bush said at the Virginia BioDiesel Refinery (search) about 140 miles south of Washington.

Bush flew here, about 30 miles from Richmond, to visit a production facility for biodiesel, an alternative fuel made from soybeans that is cleaner-burning and American-made, but carries a higher price tag that regular diesel fuel. It is often blended with conventional transportation fuels as an extender.

Before his speech, the president got a demonstration of how biodiesel is made - and how cleanly it burns in an engine. Bush was given a white handkerchief that had been held on an exhaust pipe of a revved-up 18-wheeler, and deemed it clean enough to hold up to his nose.

"Biodiesel is one of our nation's most promising alternative fuel sources and by developing biodiesel you're making this country less dependent on foreign sources of oil," he said.

"Americans are concerned about high prices at the pump and they're really concerned as they start making their travel plans, and I understand that," the president said. "I wish I could just wave a magic wand and lower the price at the pump. I'd do that. But that's not how it works."

He said the high prices confronting consumers have been decades in the making.

Bush urged Congress to enact energy legislation that he says addresses both supply and conservation issues in a bid to make the United States less dependent on foreign nations, particularly those in the volatile Middle East, for its energy needs.

Bush has attempted to set an August deadline for Congress to get a bill to his desk. The House has approved a plan with many elements that Bush wants, though he opposes the billions in tax breaks and subsidies to energy companies that it contains. The Senate has yet to act on alternative legislation.

.... FoxNews story from May 16, 2005

Old 05-17-2005, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)
Default Re: President continues to give 'thumbs up' for biodiesel

Rich

I for one am glad you are here doing your part. Like you I look forward to a day when you can buy a diesel hybrid. I'm very interested in biodiesel bu they do not sell it within 100 miles of were I live. Missouri is a BD hotspot with tons of stations that sell BD. Maybe a move is in order?

While i'm a big fan of the hybrid and while I love my HCH, hybrids still burn non-renewable fuel so it is just a matter of time before a the gas electric hybrid goes the way of the dinosaurs.

Old 05-17-2005, 04:49 PM
Ohio BIODZL Driver
Default Re: President continues to give 'thumbs up' for biodiesel

Always good to look for ... and FIND ... some common ground; be it Hybrid v. Diesel for 'smarter' transportation, Liberal v. Conservative in politics, or Environmentalist v. MPG for frugality sake.

With everyone else bickering over all the differences, it is good to be able to unite 'most' of us with what we can do to improve the fuels and vehicles we drive.