Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Prius on the Weather Channel

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 01:56 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Prius on the Weather Channel

I just saw a short piece on the Prius on the Weather Channel.

In a segment called Forecast Earth, the reporter said that sales of Prius nearly doubled since Katrina. They showed the 60/51 sticker but had someone complaining about actual mileage and showed a graphic that showed that according to CR, the Prius could get as little as 35 MPG while the HCH could get as low as 26 MPG. Also they said that Toyota reports that cold weather can reduce fuel efficiency by up to 35%.

Old 12-14-2005, 06:56 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Prius on the Weather Channel

Well as a Prius owner i can honestly say, THEY ARE RIGHT! Living in Chicago, now that the temp has taken a nose dive, the milage they are refering too isnt that far off. If im rear carefull (which i rarely am ) i can get 42mpg. but mostly when its 30 or less degree's F out, im getting in the mid to high 30's. Its still better than my Pacifica. And im still totally happy with the Prius. Dean

Old 12-14-2005, 07:06 AM

I saw that piece too. They did go on to say that technique is very important and that weather made a difference and that A/C will hurt your mileage. Overall I thought it was a good 30 second or so piece. They started by showing the sticker and then saying what consumer reports said. Then they went on to say how you can do better than what CR reported.

Old 12-14-2005, 08:40 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Clubford00
If im rear carefull (which i rarely am ) i can get 42mpg. but mostly when its 30 or less degree's F out, im getting in the mid to high 30's. Its still better than my Pacifica. And im still totally happy with the Prius.
It might be even *more* important to protect your rear in warm weather.

Old 12-14-2005, 12:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Guys:

___Although I did not see the clip, I am glad the clip included the ability to achieve much higher FE then CR’s did …

___Clubford00, have you seen Carl Hirschack’s Precious Prius tanks as of late? He lives south of us by about 60 miles (actually colder temps about half the time given they have no lake effect) and is doing great for the lousy temps we have been exposed to these past 4 weeks …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes