Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Pulse and Glide success

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 08:22 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Pulse and Glide success

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
The 04-06 Prius use an electric motor driven compressor. The earlier models and virtually every other vehicle have to run the engine to operate the compressor. A terrific improvement, your electric compressor is the automatic version of 'pulse and glide' cooling.

You could put your Prius in the hot, Florida sun and run the air conditioner and the engine, after warm-up, would turn on and off only as traction battery charge is needed. Meanwhile, the compressor would run as much as needed, independent of the engine, to keep the car cool. Any other car would simply run the engine constantly in a slightly accellerated idle and soon empty the tank (if it didn't also overheat.)

We modified our 03 Prius by adding a 1 kW inverter to provide emergency power for our home gas heater. Testing revealed that even with the maximum, 1 kW load running constantly, the engine ran less than half of the time. Subsequent testing with our gas furnace, 1/3 hp motor 800 W., revealled we can get 44 hours of ice-storm, power outage operation from the 11 gal. tank.

There is no 'free lunch' and the 04-06 Prius AC requires energy that ultimately comes from the engine. But the relative amount of fuel needed to power your AC will be no where as much as it is with the 01-03 Prius or any other engine driven compressor, AC system. Enjoy!

BTW, today I turn off the AC when at a stop or under maximum accelleration demands. One of these days I'll rig up a circuit to handle these tasks automaticly. Only "MAX AC" will bypass the automatic circuit. Our 03 Prius won't be as efficient as your system (Prius envy), but it will be good enough.

Bob Wilson

OK so it does not greatly effect the mileage, Thank you.

Intresting on the modifications test, kinda like using the old vw motor as a back-up gen from the old days.. Also I see alot of people modifieing thier cars even brand new cars, (we would not think of messing up er I mean making the car better for me deal). Unless it was a used car!

Mine when I do not run the ac they batt stays green longer the gas side does not turn on untill 35 mph. With the a/c on i get to 20 mph with it on.

Old 01-29-2006, 12:45 PM
04 prius 350,000km

Originally Posted by bwilson4web

BTW, today I turn off the AC when at a stop or under maximum accelleration demands. One of these days I'll rig up a circuit to handle these tasks automaticly. Only "MAX AC" will bypass the automatic circuit. Our 03 Prius won't be as efficient as your system (Prius envy), but it will be good enough.

Bob Wilson
haha exactly the way I treat my a/c right now. Except I only turn on when the windows get foggy or demanding conditions. 1 horsepower can make a difference in hill climbing!!!

Old 02-03-2006, 08:11 AM
Active Enthusiast

Speaking of P&G success...
http://www.metrompg.com/posts/pulse-and-glide.htm

Old 02-16-2006, 12:41 PM
04 prius 350,000km

kick *** article krousdb, very easy to understand the concept thanks to the friendly words.